Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 16, Vs Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Maybe McLean was just dropped. Not dropped to work on anything, just dropped for poor performance? Was admittedly pretty stiff to have to be the 23rd man but a game of VFL is probably worth more to the other emergencies than McLean (plus, ya know, what if we actually needed to use the emergency).
    I think there was a mention that he needed to work on some aspects of his game (and he probably did) but it loses a bit in the translation when you make him the non playing emergency against Collingwood
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think there was a mention that he needed to work on some aspects of his game (and he probably did) but it loses a bit in the translation when you make him the non playing emergency against Collingwood
    Could've just been boilerplate for the fans to be honest. When you drop a "good" premiership player you're probably going to need to have something to say to inevitable questions about it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    What was his deficiency though - if it was 'show us you can still be in the play for 120 minutes' than I'd suggest he's done that.

Given he was the travelling emergency when dropped I don't think it was a flaw-fixing exercise like (for example) Lipinski who had to work on his inside game before getting another shot at the seniors.
    McLean was dropped for team balance. WIth Dicko and Reid there is limited space available for him in the forward line; With a midfield that has Hunter, Bont, Macrae, Richards, Dunkley, Smith (both), Williams rolling through it there is no spot for him. McLean is a victum of a guy who hasn't really ever nailed one position - he is a modern day Ricky Olawrenshaw - a good skillful player, not quite a forward and not quite a mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    McLean was dropped for team balance. WIth Dicko and Reid there is limited space available for him in the forward line; With a midfield that has Hunter, Bont, Macrae, Richards, Dunkley, Smith (both), Williams rolling through it there is no spot for him. McLean is a victum of a guy who hasn't really ever nailed one position - he is a modern day Ricky Olawrenshaw - a good skillful player, not quite a forward and not quite a mid.
    McLean had over 500 possessions last year, twice as many as Richards (who has not had a good season this year either ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    McLean had over 500 possessions last year, twice as many as Richards (who has not had a good season this year either ).
    That was last year, this year he has had some poor games. He will be back. Players get dropped, it is all part of playing footy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I don't see how 500 possessions this year is relevant to him being dropped, other than to suggest he is capable of much better than what he is showing. I will say though that neither Richards or McLean have particularly impressed this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how 500 possessions this year is relevant to him being dropped, other than to suggest he is capable of much better than what he is showing. I will say though that neither Richards or McLean have particularly impressed this year.
    Exactly my point.
    The guy has ability and should be among the best players.

The logical next step is to ask why his contributions have halved.
    Personally I think it is the beard.

Post Thanks / Like

Who?

I think you are right though. We have a glut of players that are good in the midfield but not that good forward. We can't play them all in the mids all the time, but by and large they are too talented not to be getting a game, despite their lack of forward craft.

11. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That was last year, this year he has had some poor games. He will be back. Players get dropped, it is all part of playing footy.
    No Danjul is right on here. You said we needed Richards a d Williams in the midfield but McLean has shown more as a mid than either of them. He clearly struggles to get involved as a forward when plonked there but plays seriously good footy in the middle. Also hard to understand why room was made for Smith over McLean. Don’t get me wrong it’s been great to see him play and grow but is he really a better midfielder NOW than McLean?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    You said we needed Richards and Williams in the midfield
    Did I, I can't remember.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

No disrespect, but sometimes I think 'team balance' is a cop-out.
    He just wasn't staying involved enough in the play (was he carrying a niggle?) and going back and dominating at VFL level shows he can do it.

Roarke mentioned he and Williams were swapping wing/forward, surely Williams can go back and McLean can play that role. He actually had a bit of attacking flair at u18 level and was predominantly a forward in 2016. I actually think he's a lot better overhead than he's shown this year so if he can start getting a run and jump at the ball it might help him show what he can do.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Did I, I can't remember.
    My bad. Wasn’t you. Conflating two posters in one.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was Toby I'd be putting out feelers for a new club given both Wallis & Gowers were preferred to him in midfield rotations earlier in the year.

I have no idea on how he performed in the pre-season, but given how good he was in the midfield last year before injury the push back into playing as a forward has done absolutely nothing for his development.

17. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If I was Toby I'd be putting out feelers for a new club given both Wallis & Gowers were preferred to him in midfield rotations earlier in the year.

I have no idea on how he performed in the pre-season, but given how good he was in the midfield last year before injury the push back into playing as a forward has done absolutely nothing for his development.
    If I was Toby, I'd take on board coaching feedback, and work my butt off to get back in the side.
    It's not like the coaching group have a vendetta against him; he's clearly in the club's preferred best 22.
    He hasn't performed this year. He's being asked to play a role he has plaued before. Clearly the club is aware of his performances last year, and I suspect notwithstanding his possession count last season still saw fit to move him. I'd say given the crap year we had last season the club have reviewed his output and thought it was lacking in some areas, and that we'd be better served with others in that primary role.

19. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack Macrae was dropped and took it on the chin. I am sure Toby will too.

21. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post