Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 16, Vs Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Dickson has kicked 2.0 in each of the last 3 games since returning to the team. He's there to kick goals and he's doing just that. If Cavarra came in and kicked 2 goals a game we would all be singing his praises.
    I think that’s an extremely simplistic way of measuring ones performance given in each of his last 2 games he’s kicked a ‘joe’.

Tory’s hanging on by a thread at present and his ability to apply forward pressure and win a contest is greatly reduced and almost non existent. The mix in the forward line needs to be changed sooner rather than later.

2. Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see what Cavarra will bring but Dickson is on a knifes edge. He's applying the pressure and kicking his goals but it the handling that is getting to me. In the past he was that one grab type but as of this season he has fumble more often than not and it costs him time he can't afford anymore.
    So if Cavarra come in Dickson goes out.
    If it's one change Toby comes in and Ed goes to Caleb's role.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    And if you're going by possessions alone Crozier had 14 and 2 tackles so it's not a fair indication of worth to team.
    Crozier made a positive impact and I even had him in our best. Richards has a bad week and is mentioned as a possible out. Wood has had 2 poor weeks and a below average season but is never in the discussion for his spot. Even if he wasn't the captain he would still slide through. He cant play forward, he isn't effective playing deep in the backline or against taller opponents. He's a player that appears to needs things on his own terms before he can produce a half decent game. Williams or Lewis Young could cover him at the moment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Who do you replace Wood with, and how do you set a structure that can ensure we're not defencively weakened by not having him in the team?
    Lewis Young could be a suitable replacement. How weakened would we be without him?

Post Thanks / Like

Wood has struggled for a while and may be the 6x6 rule has exposed him a bit more one on one.
    He flashes in and out of games with a little bit of his old self but we don't see much of the defensive marking anymore and if he wasn't the captain I would have dropped him weeks ago and gave Lewis a longer run at it.
    Output wise at worst it would be like for like.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    With Daniel out McLean has to come in...well should come in
    Well.

If (as we were told) McLean went back to the VFL with a list of things to work on, he should come back in when they are FIXED, not when it is convenient.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Crozier made a positive impact and I even had him in our best. Richards has a bad week and is mentioned as a possible out. Wood has had 2 poor weeks and a below average season but is never in the discussion for his spot. Even if he wasn't the captain he would still slide through. He cant play forward, he isn't effective playing deep in the backline or against taller opponents. He's a player that appears to needs things on his own terms before he can produce a half decent game. Williams or Lewis Young could cover him at the moment.
    I actually think Easton has started to look more confident attacking contests and being that intercept spoiling defender in the last few weeks. Hasn't looked as hesitant. I agree with your sentiment though.
    Edit : Also I'm a big Crozier fan defended him when he was copping it weekly early doors. We did very well getting him over. Think the same re Duryea too.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young could be a suitable replacement. How weakened would we be without him?
    I would say we'd be considerably worse off without him if the answer is to replace him with Lew Young. You'd need to try it to find out, but it's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

Crozier is playing the role Easton played for us a few seasons back, Wood is now playing more defencively out of need.

I know you won't agree and I know it's a hobby horse you'll keep flogging, but I don't see the point in making a change that will likely make our side weaker. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think Wood has been that bad. He's not as good as he was in 2015 but he's clearly worth a lot more to the team than his possession total. No way he shouldn't play.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Out - Daniel

In - McLean

I'm still not sure why McLean was dropped in the first place. It mustn't have been to work on his forward craft because 30 possessions in the VFL sounds like he played in the midfield and not forward. While he hasn't reached the heights of his 2018 form he is still a quality player. Anyway a run in the two's has helped get others back into alignment in the past so let's just hope it is exactly what Toby needed.

I think he is a logical in unless selection hinges on a specific match up the MC are after. So it's just the one change for me.

I'm keen to get a look at Cavarra but I'd like to see him string some decent form together and not just the one good game.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Dickson has kicked 2.0 in each of the last 3 games since returning to the team. He's there to kick goals and he's doing just that. If Cavarra came in and kicked 2 goals a game we would all be singing his praises.
    I think it is what Dickson isn't doing that he used to do is the concern. He is making little impact and going to ground in the contests. He was doing the same last year and when your time is up it comes pretty quickly unless you are one of the elite. Cavarra a different of type of forward with a lot of smarts and good pressure.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well.

If (as we were told) McLean went back to the VFL with a list of things to work on, he should come back in when they are FIXED, not when it is convenient.

I guess if we were that keen for him to work on certain aspects of his game then why was he the emergency for the game against Collingwood?

It wouldn't surprise me either way but I can recall back in 2014 that Macca dropped Easton Wood because of his static ball movement and then set him some specific targets in the VFL. He was recalled the following week after do exactly what he was asked to do (and got injured and missed the balance of the season from memory)

Some are quick learners and injuries do create opportunities

Post Thanks / Like

I get that Dickson is in decline and isn't quite the player he was but do people seriously want to drop a guy that is kicking goals and doing so accurately when we struggle with these aspects of the game most weeks?

I hope to see Cavarra in the side some time soon, it doesn't necessarily have to be at the expense of Dickson though.

Post Thanks / Like

Some are quick learners and injuries do create opportunities
    I agree. But if the MC are frustrated with parts of his game, and he gets recalled but does the same 'stuff' (we can only guess as to what that 'stuff' is!) then he will be back in the VFL soon afterwards...

I have faith that he was dropped for a reason. I can't answer your question about the Collingwood game unless it was an attitude based 'thing' but I can tell you that recalling a player before he understands what is required (REALLY understands) does nothing more than create disharmony between player and coach and then you end up with a situation similar to the one Bryce Gibbs finds himself in at Adelaide...even when most observers say he is playing 'well' he still gets dropped...

TEAM > Individual.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I get that Dickson is in decline and isn't quite the player he was but do people seriously want to drop a guy that is kicking goals and doing so accurately when we struggle with these aspects of the game most weeks?

I hope to see Cavarra in the side some time soon, it doesn't necessarily have to be at the expense of Dickson though.
    I think there’s value for the whole forward line in having some older heads down there also. So Dickson and Lloyd being able to help with set ups and direction for some of the younger guys can’t hurt.

I’d keep Dickson in.