Likes Likes:  36
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 17, Vs Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by James Cumming View Post
    +++++++++++++++++

In the Gun
    +++++++

Roarke Smith - should have been delisted 3 years ago. He played a super game against Port. His one main talent of a big leap for a mark isn't enough.

Trengove - takes on the opposition brutes but gives away too many free kicks and terrible clangers.

Tory Dickson - doesn't get enough of the ball for my liking and is shown up by Sam Lloyd for work rate. As long as Tory kicks goals, he stays.

Taylor Duryea - Is only 28 years old. Does OK, sometimes not OK. Got nothing special about him. I think Mitch Wallis would be a better player all around.

Bailey Smith - He is going exceptionally well considering he is a first year player. Does he need a rest? Doesn't seem so. The medical staff should tell us if he has general soreness, but there is no mention of that. So he stays.

My Changes.
    ++++++++

In Mitch Wallis
    In Lewis Young
    In Rhylee West

Out Roarke Smith
    Out Taylor Duryea
    Out Jackson Trengove

Libba to get some match conditioning in the VFL - I really have no real idea whether or not he needs it though.
    I don't see how any of Dickson, Duyrea or Trengove would be 'in the gun'.
    Since Dickson came back in, we've won 3 games, and the 1 we lost we probably should have won v Collingwood. We are 6-5 this year with Dicko in the team and are simply a better team with him in it right now. His impact is more than just the stats sheet, and others in the forward line perform better when he is there.

Trengove frustrates me at times, but we are clearly better with him in the side, with his ability to play on the big forwards and the structure he gives us. Just wish he'd be more conservative with his kicking.

Duryea has been excellent the last two weeks. One bad blue v Port - but our set up defensively has been noticeably better with him out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Wallis is playing VFL again, sounds like his ankle is still an issue.
    He did have trainers/medico's having a look at him in the third quarter on Saturday. His game was fine, but looked like he needed the run anyway. Wally could get 20+ in the VFL with one leg in the air - I'd prefer to see him get a big game under his belt before getting back in AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Libba has only missed 3 games.
    Yeah - the games against Collingwood, Port and Geelong which you could argue were our 3x best efforts of the season...

Let him come through the VFL. Didn't seem to hurt Toby...and it isn't as if he was lighting it up before getting injured.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

For those thinking of going, some cheap seats available: https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/...39483434885120
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    He did have trainers/medico's having a look at him in the third quarter on Saturday. His game was fine, but looked like he needed the run anyway. Wally could get 20+ in the VFL with one leg in the air - I'd prefer to see him get a big game under his belt before getting back in AFL.
    It will be interesting to see how he is used if/when he gets back. The mix is looking ok at present and what Mitch offers we already have enough of.

Post Thanks / Like

Press conference-

Libba,won’t be rushed back.

Gowers back for FB

Morris May have one more week at FB

sounds like unchanged team. Roarke lucky if that is the case
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Out - Roarke Smith ( bit stiff after one quiet game but there's competition for spots)

In - Libba if fit otherwise West Jnr

Rourke is the only one I can see coming out of the team because his spot is easier to cover. He had one quiet game and it will probably cost him his spot. Cordy had several down weeks but he had plenty of credits in the bank and we don't exactly have a ready reliable replacement for him which saved his arse. Rourke is unlucky because Libba, Wallis and West can all easily play his role.

Tom MacDonald going down has definitely swung this game in our favour. In saying that if we take this mob lightly it will bite us in the backside just like GC and Carlton.

Melbourne have struggled in defence all year but with Lever (likely inclusion) and May now back in their line up they should be better organised back there. After working their way on top of Geelongs backline last week our forwards will be full of confidence you would expect so that will be an intriguing battle.

Max Gawn will be chomping at the bit to have a crack at the skinny chilli (English) so I expect him to play, therefore our mids will be looking to shark the oppositions tap work as per usual. They have a couple of tough mids in Jones and Viney so I really hope Libba gets up to provide some protection for us in the phone box (had to say it) to release Bont and co.

With MacDonald going down it will leave Trengove with no real urgent match so he might be used to help out English with Gawn. If this happens we could see Naughton, Schache and English all up forward at some point which will be interesting to see how it fares.

I'd also like to see Bailey Smith match up on Oliver and follow him around. Oliver is a real natural player who just knows how to find the football so it could be a good experience to run with him for a bit. Bailey is on the verge of a huge break out game that will shake up the rising star betting odds, I can just feel it!

Important game this one to consolidate our awesome win against the ladder leaders last week, something that Port failed to do thanks to us. I'd love to see us win really comfortably this week to boost up our worrying percentage but in saying that the 4 points will do just nicely.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

8. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Out - Roarke Smith ( bit stiff after one quiet game but there's competition for spots)

In - Libba if fit otherwise West Jnr

Rourke is the only one I can see coming out of the team because his spot is easier to cover. He had one quiet game and it will probably cost him his spot. Cordy had several down weeks but he had plenty of credits in the bank and we don't exactly have a ready reliable replacement for him which saved his arse. Rourke is unlucky because Libba, Wallis and West can all easily play his role.

Tom MacDonald going down has definitely swung this game in our favour. In saying that if we take this mob lightly it will bite us in the backside just like GC and Carlton.

Melbourne have struggled in defence all year but with Lever (likely inclusion) and May now back in their line up they should be better organised back there. After working their way on top of Geelongs backline last week our forwards will be full of confidence you would expect so that will be an intriguing battle.

Max Gawn will be chomping at the bit to have a crack at the skinny chilli (English) so I expect him to play, therefore our mids will be looking to shark the oppositions tap work as per usual. They have a couple of tough mids in Jones and Viney so I really hope Libba gets up to provide some protection for us in the phone box (had to say it) to release Bont and co.

With MacDonald going down it will leave Trengove with no real urgent match so he might be used to help out English with Gawn. If this happens we could see Naughton, Schache and English all up forward at some point which will be interesting to see how it fares.

I'd also like to see Bailey Smith match up on Oliver and follow him around. Oliver is a real natural player who just knows how to find the football so it could be a good experience to run with him for a bit. Bailey is on the verge of a huge break out game that will shake up the rising star betting odds, I can just feel it!

Important game this one to consolidate our awesome win against the ladder leaders last week, something that Port failed to do thanks to us. I'd love to see us win really comfortably this week to boost up our worrying percentage but in saying that the 4 points will do just nicely.
    I imagine that Pruess will remain in the team whether Gawn plays or not with McDonald out. If Gawn does play that means Pruess will be mostly forward and Trengove will be the most suitable matchup.

English will lose the ruck battle but if Gawn is a bit proppy he needs to expose him around the ground.

FYI (sorry to be that guy) the phrase is champing at the bit, not chomping at the bit. So many people get that one wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Press conference-

Gowers back for FB

New player?

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    New player?
    Doris Day’s half-brother
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Press conference-

Gowers back for FB

Thought it might play out like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I imagine that Pruess will remain in the team whether Gawn plays or not with McDonald out. If Gawn does play that means Pruess will be mostly forward and Trengove will be the most suitable matchup.

English will lose the ruck battle but if Gawn is a bit proppy he needs to expose him around the ground.

FYI (sorry to be that guy) the phrase is champing at the bit, not chomping at the bit. So many people get that one wrong.
    Gotta move with the times . Champing at the bit is grammatically correct, but dead in the English language. Chomping at the bit is 20 times more known and popular and hence is now the accepted (unofficial) form. Chomping is also a variant of champing and is alive and well inn the English language. Champing as I said is now obsolete.

Linguistics are cool and often finds its own form. This phrase being a case in point. Having been said wrongly for so long it has now evolved into an accepted reworking of it.

R. Smith out
    T. Liberatore in (won't happen). But if Tom plays VFL he should be playing AFL. He doesn't need touch or match fitness. He plays AFL or is rested again hopefully.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

16. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Gotta move with the times . Champing at the bit is grammatically correct, but dead in the English language. Chomping at the bit is 20 times more known and popular and hence is now the accepted (unofficial) form. Chomping is also a variant of champing and is alive and well inn the English language. Champing as I said is now obsolete.
    Chomping doesn't actually make sense though:

YOU’RE SAYING IT WRONG! CHAMPING VS. CHOMPING
    In the end, it’s just wrong to say “chomping,” because “chomping” is a transitive verb, or a verb that needs an object for it to make sense. In other words, you have to have something to chomp on if you want to use “chomp.” A horse doesn’t chomp, or bite, the bit—he champs, or grinds, his teeth. No bit is necessary for a champing to happen, so champing is an intransitive verb, which means no “object” is required.
    To be honest the grammar doesn't worry me, it's just the saying is champing, you can't just go and change it! There are heaps of sayings that are outdated but we don't just go and modernise them for the hell of it.

18. Likes josie, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, it's a democratic society and 77% for Chomp wins the vote!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

20. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

R. Smith out
    T. Liberatore in
    (won't happen). But if Tom plays VFL he should be playing AFL. He doesn't need touch or match fitness. He plays AFL or is rested again hopefully.
    Reading that gave me instant flashbacks. C'mon, Bubba deserves another chance.

Aye, suspect we'll let Libba of the Tom variety tune up in the twos, we're a tough team to get into now apparently.

Speaking of flashbacks, keen to see West get an opportunity and wonder if it'll come against one of the next couple of relatively 'easy' kills.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

22. Likes 1eyedog liked this post