Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Priority Picks

Post Thanks / Like

Priority Picks

Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I envisage changes after this season to they way the AFL allocates priority picks to clubs after 2 consecutive poor seasons.

Currently, a team that fails to win more than 4 games receives a priority pick after the first round of the National Draft.

If a club fails to win more than 4 games in 2 consecutive years, then they would receive a priority pick before the first round of the National Draft.

Now, here's where my cynicism kicks in. If a team qualifies for a priority pick next year, after receiving one this year, will the AFL allow a situation to arise where a team then gets a pick before GC17?

Just have a feeling that the AFL will make changes at the end of this season, which will be just so convenient to GC17.

Obviously, what I'm speculating is just pure guess work on my part.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Priority Picks

The whole issue of tanking games to obtain a PP is a blight on the game and the only way around it is to remove the whole PP option.
    To assist clubs that have consecutive bottom two finishes the AFL should allow an extra $300,000 in the salary cap for the first season and $150,000 for the second season so that the club concerned can recruit a ready made player which is a quicker solution.

We can't be serious about a competition that has fans willing their team to lose games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The whole issue of tanking games to obtain a PP is a blight on the game and the only way around it is to remove the whole PP option.
    To assist clubs that have consecutive bottom two finishes the AFL should allow an extra $300,000 in the salary cap for the first season and $150,000 for the second season so that the club concerned can recruit a ready made player which is a quicker solution.

We can't be serious about a competition that has fans willing their team to lose games.
    While I agree the PP has to go, why should they get salary cap relief?

They're already on the bottom, their salary cap payments should already be way under 100%. If you give them extra salary cap room all they'll do is steal a good player from another club.

I am passionate about keeping good players at their club for their entire career.

My nephew got the shits and lost interest in football when Nathan Brown left us. He's never really got back into it. I took him to games when he was younger and still offer to, he just isn't interested.

Finish last and get the first draft pick, that's enough help for anyone. You want to get back up the ladder, draft and trade well. If your administration is a shambles, fix it or stay on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Run a lottery between the bottom 8 teams, will fix the tanking issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Unfortunately there is no fair way of doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately there is no fair way of doing this.
    Run it like the NBA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery

Post Thanks / Like

The NBA don't have a PP so there is little too no relevance for the AFL.

IMO, the draft isn't the issue for the AFL nor is the order of the draft.
    The issue that needs to be addressed is about the notion that sides tank games to obtain a PP.
    Once the PP is gone, I think the tanking issue goes with it.

Let the bottom two sides fight out who gets the first pick because it doesn't mean that much over a long period anyway. Generally speaking one pick won't change things most years but two early picks can over say two years.

To even the competition and not let sides be down in the cellar for too long the AFL needs to find a way that assists sides in need but ensuring that they are still playing to win.

Post Thanks / Like

No need.

Ditch the priority picks and the problem goes away.

No-one would chose to get the stigma of a wooden spoon just to get first choice between Watts, Natanui, Hill and Rich.

We won't know who the best player from that draft will be for about another 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

They're already on the bottom, their salary cap payments should already be way under 100%. If you give them extra salary cap room all they'll do is steal a good player from another club.

I am passionate about keeping good players at their club for their entire career.

My nephew got the shits and lost interest in football when Nathan Brown left us. He's never really got back into it. I took him to games when he was younger and still offer to, he just isn't interested.

Finish last and get the first draft pick, that's enough help for anyone. You want to get back up the ladder, draft and trade well. If your administration is a shambles, fix it or stay on the bottom.
    They clearly need more assistance than what you are proposing though and the PP will stay unless a better compromise can be offered.

As for players staying loyal to clubs, it's a grand notion but supporters are the first to want to write off even good players when there is a slight sniff that they are struggling and then cry when the star players dessert them in their prime for more money.
    Loyalty is a two way street.

Your nephew wasn't a passionate supporter by the sounds of things and if the success that we are enjoying now can't inspire him back to the fold he was never going to be a long term supporter.

He should have been taught to be more passionate about the club than any of the players.

Post Thanks / Like

No-one would chose to get the stigma of a wooden spoon just to get first choice between Watts, Natanui, Hill and Rich.
    Or Adam Cooney & Andrew Walker.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess there are going to be some unhappy fans when the GC rip through a few clubs as well as West Sydney.

The hot tip is Tippett from the Crows, being a Queenslander, with Adelaide being starved for key forwards as much as us in recent times, they finally have a beauty coming through, develop him to a stage where he's finally making a name for himself, and bam, gone!

Post Thanks / Like

They clearly need more assistance than what you are proposing though and the PP will stay unless a better compromise can be offered.
    Our priority picks have been Farren Ray and Tom Williams. They're hardly the reason we've forced our way up the ladder.

Without PP we still would have been able to draft Cooney and Griffen, a huge factor in us improving.

If you dump a dud coach and get a gun one, if you pick the best player of his draft year with pick 11 when no-one else rated him and kids picked with 3rd and 4th rounders (and rookie picks) turn into All-Australians, you'll be top 4 in no time.

My point is, get rid of your duds, on and off field, and do things right and you will still end up playing finals.

I just don't like clubs getting a free ride; whether it's using cash to buy players or tanking to draft them.

Post Thanks / Like

It's fair to say Geelong are a reason why you don't need PP's for success, in fact, would Selwood [7] have been their highest pick in recent times?

Post Thanks / Like

Our priority picks have been Farren Ray and Tom Williams. They're hardly the reason we've forced our way up the ladder.

Without PP we still would have been able to draft Cooney and Griffen, a huge factor in us improving.

If you dump a dud coach and get a gun one, if you pick the best player of his draft year with pick 11 when no-one else rated him and kids picked with 3rd and 4th rounders (and rookie picks) turn into All-Australians, you'll be top 4 in no time.
    Kosi/Riewoldt and Franklin/Roughead counteract that though.

You're making it sound simplistic but it's not that easy. Clubs go through financial situations that simple can't cope with the demands and the AFL has to find a way to assist them without encouraging supporters to think that losing games of footy is in their best interest.

We both agree that the PP should go but a solution to further assist some clubs when required needs to be established.

Post Thanks / Like

Kosi/Riewoldt and Franklin/Roughead counteract that though.

You're making it sound simplistic but it's not that easy. Clubs go through financial situations that simple can't cope with the demands and the AFL has to find a way to assist them without encouraging supporters to think that losing games of footy is in their best interest.

We both agree that the PP should go but a solution to further assist some clubs when required needs to be established.
    Kosi/Roo & Buddy/Roughead are the exact examples I'm against. It's too big of a hand out. Geelong and us have shown you don't need priority picks to get up the ladder.

If St. Kilda only got Riewoldt or Hawthorn only got Roughead, that would have been plenty enough help. Even with Kosi & Roo St.Kilda still only come good when they got rid of their dud coach.

Make them do things better, don't just give them a few superstars.

The other stupid thing anout PP is by the time these kids come good, the crisis is over and the club is challenging for the finals again. Their gun draft pick doesn't help them when they're bottom, he's the icing that help them win a premiership 7 years later.