Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I seriously dont know

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Coach can't kick it for them
    Can teach them how to kick properly though, it's the same people every time and they have such fundamental flaws in their kicking action for set shots it's not funny.

Just got to keep it simple. Put your head over the ball, approach in a direct straight line, guide the ball down straight and don't lean back on kick.

It's amazing that they can't do this. Mitch Wallis isn't a great kick of the football but he has a nice simple action when he's within 40metres of goal on set shots, and he would easily be our most accurate kick for goal because he usually follows the few simple points I listed above. Doesn't run around on stupid arcs (unless he's outside 40 because that is his limit!), has a reliable ball drop, keeps his head over the ball and doesn't lean back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    How is a lack of effort not the coach's fault? It's their job to get the best effort out of the players.
    Agree 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Can teach them how to kick properly though, it's the same people every time and they have such fundamental flaws in their kicking action for set shots it's not funny.

Just got to keep it simple. Put your head over the ball, approach in a direct straight line, guide the ball down straight and don't lean back on kick.

It's amazing that they can't do this. Mitch Wallis isn't a great kick of the football but he has a nice simple action when he's within 40metres of goal on set shots, and he would easily be our most accurate kick for goal because he usually follows the few simple points I listed above. Doesn't run around on stupid arcs (unless he's outside 40 because that is his limit!), has a reliable ball drop, keeps his head over the ball and doesn't lean back.
    Commence with ball held with a bias towards kicking leg (don't bugger around with it), run straight, low ball drop, knee to forehead, follow through.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

While we're sacking all the coaches can we sack the social media person too?

Read the room you gormless hack.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We have 5,000,000 HBFs. You sighted Daniel & Williams to move from the HBF. We have them covered. He plays Gowers in the middle. Gardner over Schache. Libba & Macrae and others in the forwardline. But it always seems to be the players fault, never Bevo's. Bevo, the guy who trains them, prepares them, selects their roles, selects them in the team, and moves them on match day etc.
    That’s hitting the nail on the head right there. I thought we did ok early and I even thought we were a chance.....until I seen Gowers go in to contest a centre bounce. Honestly, whoever is making these positional decisions ( that have been rubbish since 2017) has to make way for someone else. Can anyone else remember English playing about his fourth or so game, in Sydney, in the wet, on the wing?? It hasn’t got any better.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    While we're sacking all the coaches can we sack the social media person too?

Read the room you gormless hack.
    It's actually a good representation of where many of us think the club is versus the feelings of fans, isn't it. It's like the whole organisation has become completely out of touch with what's happening in public.

I get that negativity breeds negativity, but misguided positivity breeds cynicism. and the latter seems to be what's happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's actually a good representation of where many of us think the club is versus the feelings of fans, isn't it. It's like the whole organisation has become completely out of touch with what's happening in public.

I get that negativity breeds negativity, but misguided positivity breeds cynicism. and the latter seems to be what's happening.
    At 3/4 time our social media person said: three quarters down. One to go.

Umm...

Regarding the issue of: do we have the right players vs is it the coaches fault.... again, I have the utmost respect for Luke Beveridge. But the playing list we have at present is now pretty much his. If our backline has deficiencies, then we need to ask why can Roughead hold down a backline position at the team challenging for a flag & why we kept Fletcher Roberts when he didn’t seem to be in our plans. If the problem is no ruck support for English, Then why don’t we play Trengove to assist him, why did we get rid of Campbell. There may be answers, but we don’t seem to be privy to them. The point is that decisions are being made about our list and this is where we are at, but why?

(And, on the query raised about Daniel in the backline, I have my doubts on this strategy too. He is a neat distributor, but we concede goals each week from the simple fact he is the shortest bloke on the ground. Ok, he “ makes the play” but I now see players like Bont and co handpassing backwards to give it to him, which may mean we regain possession, but he will rarely slice open a game by gaining territory such as you get from. Suckling, JJ or Crozier. I think it slows down what is already very slow movement from defence.)

Look, to be honest, we don’t know what’s going on, that’s half the problem, but I see some of the “I don’t really care” body language from those years that we’ve been a rabble and I find it painful when it comes from guys who we know can do so much more.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We have 5,000,000 HBFs. You sighted Daniel & Williams to move from the HBF. We have them covered. He plays Gowers in the middle. Gardner over Schache. Libba & Macrae and others in the forwardline. But it always seems to be the players fault, never Bevo's. Bevo, the guy who trains them, prepares them, selects their roles, selects them in the team, and moves them on match day etc.
    I will put it more simply, we don't have the talent at this stage to win consistently.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    At 3/4 time our social media person said: three quarters down. One to go.

Umm...

Regarding the issue of: do we have the right players vs is it the coaches fault.... again, I have the utmost respect for Luke Beveridge. But the playing list we have at present is now pretty much his. If our backline has deficiencies, then we need to ask why can Roughead hold down a backline position at the team challenging for a flag & why we kept Fletcher Roberts when he didn’t seem to be in our plans. If the problem is no ruck support for English, Then why don’t we play Trengove to assist him, why did we get rid of Campbell. There may be answers, but we don’t seem to be privy to them. The point is that decisions are being made about our list and this is where we are at, but why?

(And, on the query raised about Daniel in the backline, I have my doubts on this strategy too. He is a neat distributor, but we concede goals each week from the simple fact he is the shortest bloke on the ground. Ok, he “ makes the play” but I now see players like Bont and co handpassing backwards to give it to him, which may mean we regain possession, but he will rarely slice open a game by gaining territory such as you get from. Suckling, JJ or Crozier. I think it slows down what is already very slow movement from defence.)

Look, to be honest, we don’t know what’s going on, that’s half the problem, but I see some of the “I don’t really care” body language from those years that we’ve been a rabble and I find it painful when it comes from guys who we know can do so much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I will put it more simply, we don't have the talent at this stage to win consistently.
    It's because we're rebuilding and we're afraid to say it. I thought everyone already knew this.

Possibly if we'd have landed Hurley after 2016 it would have been different. But it isn't. We're rebuilding but have been too afraid to say it so close to a flag.

Look at the age of our key position players outside of Morris, they're all young (and were still young when Boyd was around) and need time.

Roughead is doing well at the Pies because they defend across the whole ground because they're better prepared and possibly coached than we are now. He'd get murdered in our structure, absolutely murdered.

Post Thanks / Like

It's because we're rebuilding and we're afraid to say it. I thought everyone already knew this.

Possibly if we'd have landed Hurley after 2016 it would have been different. But it isn't. We're rebuilding but have been too afraid to say it so close to a flag.

Look at the age of our key position players outside of Morris, they're all young (and were still young when Boyd was around) and need time.
    You have backed my argument, thank you.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead is doing well at the Pies because they defend across the whole ground because they're better prepared and possibly coached than we are now. He'd get murdered in our structure, absolutely murdered.
    Yep. I'd hate to be a defender in our side because the ball just comes in repeatedly with little pressure.

We are clearly a step below other teams in desire to win each and every contest. Macrae's dropped off markedly, McLean is passable as a forward but much better at the contest but is well down, Has Bailey Dale laid a tackle yet since he came back?

We've got a mixture of senior guys playing below their best and kids trying to establish themselves, it's an ugly combination.
    Our first half shows we can actually play the game but we miss easy shots then lose concentration and teams that keep the pressure up wear us down and kill us.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno. If we had nailed those 5 goals we missed in the first, may have given us a wind up. I think this team is really underperforming. Would have been beaten still probably but I reckon we are not as bad as the drubbing suggests.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

16. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I dunno. If we had nailed those 5 goals we missed in the first, may have given us a wind up. I think this team is really underperforming. Would have been beaten still probably but I reckon we are not as bad as the drubbing suggests.
    If we took our chances early we would have been up/on par with North too.

Games rarely happen in a vacuum, nail a few difficult early shots and everyone gets a little spring in their step. Naughton's routine looks much better than his kicking action last year, we add 1-2 genuine forwards with goal sense and I think the team lifts. Our mids run just a little harder in transition, our defenders aren't defending such clean F50 entries, it all helps.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If we took our chances early we would have been up/on par with North too.

Games rarely happen in a vacuum, nail a few difficult early shots and everyone gets a little spring in their step. Naughton's routine looks much better than his kicking action last year, we add 1-2 genuine forwards with goal sense and I think the team lifts. Our mids run just a little harder in transition, our defenders aren't defending such clean F50 entries, it all helps.
    Right. North got a wind up with the coaching thing. Now they have some good wins. It's not like they are a vastly better side in talent, but they are playing for each other.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

19. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't at all accept that its all the players, and is not a coaching issue.

There is a huge coaching issue.

The best teams in the competition keep their forwards, mids and backs largely in the same areas of the ground. Sure they might move the odd player - but on the most part, the best teams turn up knowing how to play with each other and are consistent and predictable to each other. We have zero of this. Every week we seem like a make shift team all for the sake of 'versatility' that is clearly not working and hasn't worked since Bevo decided at the start of 2017 that we all had to play in all three areas of the ground.

It is time he accepts that he is wrong, swallowed his pride, and knuckled down to picking the best team in their best positions.

His other point of ego/pride/stubborness is a harder one to get around. Bevo is obsessed with competitiveness - and that is fine, we need to be as competitive as possible. But this comes at the expense of talent sometimes. It is why the likes of Schache and Lewis Young aren't getting their development at AFL level, and we play a Lachlan Young, Ryan Gardner or Will Hayes.

I think there is bundles of talent on the list. Sure there are some missing pieces, and particularly with tall players - we need to get more time into them to improve. Bu the list aren't being given the opportunity to gel and to play as cohesively as they should be because they are getting thrown around to all parts of the ground which is very unsettling - and the obsession with competing at the source means we are just bees to the honey pot on game day, getting killed on the outside and leaking easy goals.

Agree that sacking the coach leads to far worse, and huge instability. And the runs on the board are enormous. But the club needs to seriously review and challenge what is happening in this space, because it is not showing any signs of turning around any time soon.

21. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, Danjul, jeemak, azabob, soupman liked this post