He’s gone 4 from 43
    He won 5 games as hawks interim coach

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carlton have sacked their coach

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Interesting stat
    He’s gone 4 from 43
    He won 5 games as hawks interim coach
    Fitzroy won 3 of their last 44 games in their final 2 seasons and were promptly taken out the back and shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Fitzroy won 3 of their last 44 games in their final 2 seasons and were promptly taken out the back and shot.
    Oh but Carlton are special they're oh so important to the competition we couldn't possibly recover from losing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually they had been staggering around with gun shot wounds for at least 5 years before they finally died. That merger with us (and they would have gotten it if they hadn't been so greedy wanting the name and the colours and leaving us basically with just our mascot) was their last chance saloon. Once that went down the gurgler, Fitzroy wasn't long in following it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Actually they had been staggering around with gun shot wounds for at least 5 years before they finally died. That merger with us (and they would have gotten it if they hadn't been so greedy wanting the name and the colours and leaving us basically with just our mascot) was their last chance saloon. Once that went down the gurgler, Fitzroy wasn't long in following it.
    Which is exactly why it is such an indictment on Carlton that their recent record is comparable to poor old Fitzroy with a cobbled together playing list and no money or facilities v Carlton with bucket load of high draft picks (both from the draft and via GWS) and luxuries the Lions players from the mid 90s could only dream of.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bolton is getting off lightly in the court of public opinion. Sos' list management and his obsession with GWS's leftovers is funny and all, but he's sucked the life out of a playing group littered with pretty special talents. His failure to get anything out of several elite juniors (Paddy Dow in particular looks to be on the fast track out of the system) or to build on solid starts (SPS and Curnow the main two I'm thinking of) by forcing a defensive game style to "get the most" out of the players right now couldn't go unpunished.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Which is exactly why it is such an indictment on Carlton that their recent record is comparable to poor old Fitzroy with a cobbled together playing list and no money or facilities v Carlton with bucket load of high draft picks (both from the draft and via GWS) and luxuries the Lions players from the mid 90s could only dream of.
    And Chris Judd's mum cheering them on from behind the photocopier at Visy, on 300,000 a year. But don't quote me on that.
    Some solace for a Bulldogs fan, Carlton are far worse than us from a club culture point of view.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton have the Suns and us in the following weeks don't they? It appears they were never going to give Bolton a chance to potentially string a couple of wins together
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In truth what would wins over us and the Suns really signify though? Not much.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Carlton have the Suns and us in the following weeks don't they? It appears they were never going to give Bolton a chance to potentially string a couple of wins together
    They've beaten (well pumped actually) us already this season. Would snagging another win or two have made much of a statement other than that the bottom 3 teams are all perhaps about as bad as Carlton? You could argue it might be used to push for more time for Bolton, or conversely a couple of easy wins might boost the confidence of the football department around their new coach, but surely they knew by now whether he was the man to take them forward or not? Maybe I'm giving football clubs strategic decision making more credit than it deserves but you'd like to think they're not as reactionary as a week to week cycle and can read their long term trend in isolation.

Look at it objectively and Gold Coast have been a rabble since inception and if they weren't the AFL's own franchise would probably have been wound up already, and we've been injured, or young, or unlucky, or misunderstood, or actually really good just losing every week or whatever the excuse is today, so winning one or even both couldn't be considered a breakthrough worthy of changing the direction of the entire football department.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to hear a few of the 'talking heads' in the media landscape say that Carlton were overcoached.
    To me that was North's issue and they have looked much better since Scott has left.

I do wonder how much the structures/gameplans of the modern era are killing players with genuine X factor as they must 'follow team rules' before playing with instinct.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I see Chris Judd is on the selection panel for the next coach. Has there been a more overrated and useless 'footy person' than Judd?

He mentioned yesterday that there wasn't a lot of quality applications when Bolton was appointed but also indicated there was a lot more interest this time. Of course no one took him too task but it's a strong indication that while they were giving Bolton their full support they had already been shopping around.

It's all well and good to be market aware but I think with North making their move early it triggered the earlier than expected removal of Bolton
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I see Chris Judd is on the selection panel for the next coach. Has there been a more overrated and useless 'footy person' than Judd?

He mentioned yesterday that there wasn't a lot of quality applications when Bolton was appointed but also indicated there was a lot more interest this time. Of course no one took him too task but it's a strong indication that while they were giving Bolton their full support they had already been shopping around.

It's all well and good to be market aware but I think with North making their move early it triggered the earlier than expected removal of Bolton
    There were lots of good assistant coaches at that time and Bevo has proven that a good assistant can get the chocolates. Scott Burns has been at some pretty successful clubs, for example. Clubs have been ok with assistants moving to senior positions mid season in good faith. Not sure I buy that argument. It's papering over their list management decisions.
    Under Mick they cleaned out a lot of players ( Waite, Betts ) who did ok to very well at other clubs. Takes a long time to come back from that sort of clean out.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Strewth, what a lovely epitaph for Bolton before the blood has even has a chance to dry.

May Judd and Silvagni continue to reign in perpetuity.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Strewth, what lovely epitaph for Bolton before the blood has even has a chance to dry.

May Judd and Silvagni continue to reign in perpetuity.
    Yeah it's pretty poor isn't it. Carlton's cheating, like Essendon's, continues to haunt them.