Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When things aren’t always as they seem

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Not one person on this forum knows that for sure TBB.
    Thankyou . Bit of perspective.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s been a tough few years after our great premiership win in 2016. We love the Bulldogs and that is why we are so passionate and frustrated at the moment which is totally justified.

Things just have not clicked since then and there are a number of factors contributing to that. Injuries have hit us hard the lasts few years but we can’t really use that as an excuse as we had injuries in the premiership year. Clubs worked us out in 2017. Our premiership was built on team defence and the ability to lock the ball in our forward 50. We didn’t need to score 100 points in a grand final but in saying that you want to be strong up forward which we clearly have not been and this needs to change with a thorough review of our goalkicking people at the club.

We have some great kids coming through which is great but our senior guys haven’t been that great and need to lead the way now. The captain Easton Wood in particular hasn’t been what he used to be. We need strong on field leadership.

There have been good signs at times this season but I’m afraid they have been a bit few and far between judging by our win loss ratio of 4-7 and we have had some heavy defeats taking a hit to our %.

I’m more inclined to keep Bevo but we need to change the assistant coaches around him I feel. King, Corey and Hansen have been here for a number of years so fresh ideas, new direction might be what is required for Bevo to thrive again.

Need to play players in their natural positions and don’t go overboard on experimenting too much. Can work for example with Naughton who has been great up forward this year coming from the back but never play JJ and Woof ahead of the ball.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Form related which was 2016.

If he was as bad as was made out to be he should have been away from the club for a period of time.

We did nothing until we decided to kick him out, which was also handled poorly.
    The club provided therapy which he didn't turn up to. Murph publicly said there were 2 years of difficulties. That's a long time to put up with things.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Form related which was 2016.

If he was as bad as was made out to be he should have been away from the club for a period of time.

We did nothing until we decided to kick him out, which was also handled poorly.
    You are speculating. I can tell you 100% that the club did a lot for him to get himself back on track. With flogs like GrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrub hanging around to make us look bad, the club kept things away from the press. Even David Smorgon sat down with him, every angle was tried.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    The club provided therapy which he didn't turn up to. Murph publicly said there were 2 years of difficulties. That's a long time to put up with things.
    Exactly.

I don't mind having discussions on a forum but making things up is another thing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Which is kind of my point in that where was the punishment and/or tough love? We effectively let him get away with it until we kicked him out.

Hell, didn’t we suspend Boyd and Cordy for a week for a scuffle?

Remi and alike posters can continue to close their eyes but many of the issues I was raising about our club in 2017 have proven to be a few of our many downfalls since 2016 and the Stringer saga is one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You are speculating. I can tell you 100% that the club did a lot for him to get himself back on track. With flogs like GrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrub hanging around to make us look bad, the club kept things away from the press. Even David Smorgon sat down with him, every angle was tried.
    I know the club tried to help but I question they could and should have penalised him instead of continually wrapping their arms around him. The fact that it finally blew up in the public and NOW he’s back on track is testament to this. We were so hellbent on shielding him and where did it get either of us? The beneficiaries were Essendon.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when Bmac was the coach. Some of the posters here cast doubt on his decisions, having sat in the box on game day and watched him work. They turned out to be 100% right. You know who you are. There are a lot of clever people here with deep football knowledge, and it's you who make this forum what it is. But I also remember 2016, when many on this board dismissed us. So you never really know. We back this club and make no more excuses, for youth and injuries and whatever. Cause that was 2016 and that is who we are. Things are never as good or as bad as they seem. I firmly believe we could have come close to the Eagles if we handn't have dropped our chins, first quarter says that. And I think this season has some strands of a narrative yet. Prove me right dogs!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

9. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yes defence coach at Port. Only started after the end of last season, not sure what he did in the previous 2 years?
    He was at Melbourne Grammar as football director

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer's gone and he's not coming back so he's not relevant in the discussions about what we can do now and in the immediate future.

I mentioned on another thread we have to abandon reputation and talent and simply reward effort as that is playing a large part of where we're breaking down. If that means dropping a senior player and promoting a kid who is barely ready for AFL action (West/Porter/Vendermeer) than so be it. As supporters, if we lose we lose but non-efforts are completely unacceptable.

It may well hurt us for a week or two this year - but for the rest of the year and next year there will be little doubt that effort is a non-negotiable. I don't think it will cause discontent in the playing group as someone busting their gut gets an opportunity.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Stringer's gone and he's not coming back so he's not relevant in the discussions about what we can do now and in the immediate future.

I mentioned on another thread we have to abandon reputation and talent and simply reward effort as that is playing a large part of where we're breaking down. If that means dropping a senior player and promoting a kid who is barely ready for AFL action (West/Porter/Vendermeer) than so be it. As supporters, if we lose we lose but non-efforts are completely unacceptable.

It may well hurt us for a week or two this year - but for the rest of the year and next year there will be little doubt that effort is a non-negotiable. I don't think it will cause discontent in the playing group as someone busting their gut gets an opportunity.
    Totally agree you set a code of conduct and you enforce it no matter the player. This applies on and off the field. You can't say well player X you don't have to wear your seatbelt today because you're a premiership player. Applies to everyone , all the time and you have systems in place to assist those who are having a hard time. Personally as I've gotten older my favourite part of Aussie rules and following the dogs is the new kids coming through. Remember Bonts weaving goal on the boundary v Melbourne, wow! So to tie in with this great thread, things aren't as bad as they seem when you have at start of the season Dunkley, Cordy, Scache, West, Roberts, Gowers, English, Naughton, Smith, Richards, Williams, Lipinski, Greene, Young1, Young 2, Dale, Porter, Hayes, Lynch, Gardner (have I missed anyone!) that are just starting their senior careers with less than 50 games who else would you follow ! The wheel turns, in this instance a little WD-40 wouldn't go astray but it will turn and with the aforementioned list, some smart recruitng, our bona fide stars and Bevo at the helm I'm greatly anticipating our next time in the sun (because 1. I miss Cairns and 2.The last one was too short!)
    Go dogs.

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the club tried to help but I question they could and should have penalised him instead of continually wrapping their arms around him. The fact that it finally blew up in the public and NOW he’s back on track is testament to this. We were so hellbent on shielding him and where did it get either of us? The beneficiaries were Essendon.
    I’m not sure they have benefited at all , he hasn’t done anything but be an average AFL footballer with them in two years, with an above average wage/contract.
    I would say we have benefited.
    Bring back the biff

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I’m not sure they have benefited at all , he hasn’t done anything but be an average AFL footballer with them in two years, with an above average wage/contract.
    I would say we have benefited.
    He's still got 7+ years of footy left, he's slimmed up this year and was playing solid footy prior to injury.

He's not going to be Gary Ablett (thanks BT) but he's a good player capable of great moments and we effectively replaced him with Gowers (positionally) and Schache (draft picks) who have been abysmal this year.

Dogs supporters can keep saying how "we benefited" from Stringer leaving but there is absolutely no evidence of this on or off field.

Anyway - my last post on this topic.

18. Thanks G-Mo77 thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's still got 7+ years of footy left, he's slimmed up this year and was playing solid footy prior to injury.

He's not going to be Gary Ablett (thanks BT) but he's a good player capable of great moments and we effectively replaced him with Gowers (positionally) and Schache (draft picks) who have been abysmal this year.

Dogs supporters can keep saying how "we benefited" from Stringer leaving but there is absolutely no evidence of this on or off field.

Anyway - my last post on this topic.
    Yeah but ...

BORDERLINE FLYING

20. Thanks hujsh, The Bulldogs Bite, Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Yeah but ...

Finally some proper perspective

Post Thanks / Like