Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  47
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When things aren’t always as they seem

Our best two KPPs right now are Naughton (19) and Cordy (22), in terms of KPP they are babies.

God knows where we find two more as Schache is unproven. Le Young very raw, Trengove is a spare parts Mr Fixit then there's Gardner who might be a decent second tall at either end but Cordy isn't a first KPD.
    As mentioned we have an experienced, solid midfield group. English is raw but promising.

We have a number of role players, very few of whom have established themselves. Some of these guys have time to make positions their own, in some cases (La Young) performing far better than they ought to be. We also have a genuine second potential A grade mid (Smith).

here's enough there to build from and as we're seen in the past, it can come together surprisingly quickly.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Our best two KPPs right now are Naughton (19) and Cordy (22), in terms of KPP they are babies.

God knows where we find two more as Schache is unproven. Le Young very raw, Trengove is a spare parts Mr Fixit then there's Gardner who might be a decent second tall at either end but Cordy isn't a first KPD.
    As mentioned we have an experienced, solid midfield group. English is raw but promising.

We have a number of role players, very few of whom have established themselves. Some of these guys have time to make positions their own, in some cases (La Young) performing far better than they ought to be. We also have a genuine second potential A grade mid (Smith).

here's enough there to build from and as we're seen in the past, it can come together surprisingly quickly.
    Players get certain labels in their career. Already Trengove is being labeled a 'trier' or a 'journeyman', but if he got decent feed he could tear it up in the forward line. I tend to be a little overly optimistic but if he wasn't playing ruck he could do a decent job in the forward line, at least splitting packs.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Players get certain labels in their career. Already Trengove is being labeled a 'trier' or a 'journeyman', but if he got decent feed he could tear it up in the forward line. I tend to be a little overly optimistic but if he wasn't playing ruck he could do a decent job in the forward line, at least splitting packs.
    The label for Trengove is based on an entire career's worth of work. He has been tried in our forwardline too given he was signed as a ruck/forward but his best work at AFL level has largely been in the ruck with his work in defence a close second.

He's aggressive and never drops his head, wonderful teammate and he has allowed Wood to play more of an intercepting game but he's not the long term answer to our KPD needs IMO and as a forward he looks like a ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The label for Trengove is based on an entire career's worth of work. He has been tried in our forwardline too given he was signed as a ruck/forward but his best work at AFL level has largely been in the ruck with his work in defence a close second.

He's aggressive and never drops his head, wonderful teammate and he has allowed Wood to play more of an intercepting game but he's not the long term answer to our KPD needs IMO and as a forward he looks like a ruckman.
    With respect, everyone but you and I have been tried in our forward line but the list of blokes who've flourished rather than perished down there is grim. The personnel might not be the problem ...

Reckon you've nailed Trengove's present value to us though, particularly with Moz still on the sidelines.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah I'm the same - I've heard some pretty cooked stuff about why he was booted that make me not wholly disagree with the decision, but a bigger part of me thinks that Jake wasn't the only unprofessional one in all of this. Part of being an effective man-manager is having the emotional intelligence to navigate conflicts, and Bevo (who I still love) has several black marks against his name in this respect.

Also- it really really irritates me when talented players leaving the club is rationalised as a good thing based on something external to their ability (be it the return gotten (Dahlhaus), the equity achieved (Hamling), or the harmonious effect of being cleansed of their personality (Jake)). We still lose considerable talents in areas of need and replace them with nothing. These are all losses.
    There's also some sections dismissing the regular thumpings as being acceptable because we're a young team, totally ignoring the fact the past 3 years we've had a number of mature and experienced players walking out the door and needing to be replaced with kids. The team doesn't get any older and the youth excuse becomes a permanent crutch.

We can convince ourselves that losing mature players is a good thing because they weren't helping anyway but you have to wonder why guys like Roughead, Dahlhause, Stringer, Hamling can go to other clubs and play a leading role while we thought they either couldn't contribute or weren't worth the trouble to a team at the bottom of the ladder and sinking further. Clearly our people management is sadly lacking.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

6. Likes Dry Rot, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We all remember Jake pre mid 2016 and his ability, then his life changed for a number of reasons. He has never hit the same heights as his 2015 AA year, and pretty much was a non-event in the finals. Given he was a bully and trouble maker at the club, with no sympathy for Boyd and the things he said and did to him, his off field issues which I won't go into, I am glad he was given his marching orders. To blame his departure on a lack of management at the club is really a joke.

He has continued to be a good ordinary footballer, but nothing special. Good luck to him - the end.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    With respect, everyone but you and I have been tried in our forward line but the list of blokes who've flourished rather than perished down there is grim. The personnel might not be the problem ...

Reckon you've nailed Trengove's present value to us though, particularly with Moz still on the sidelines.
    Fair comment - I guess it does go back to a central theme in that I think we need to emphasise the strengths of players rather than try and mitigate their weaknesses, and in part that means playing them in their best position where possible.

Dunkley is a contested mid, so for me he should play in the middle not forward. Wallis is a decent forward or an average mid, he should play far more forward (for the first 6 weeks those roles were reversed).

Richards can run the ball so I think one of his real fortes is wasted forward. Wing for mine, defence a second option.

Gowers is a much better forward than midfielder, he should be played forward.

etc.

I don't think it would take much to get our list into good shape - remember Lloyd and Crozier cost very little and have been fantastic for us. Our core group of mids are in their prime which is always a very good start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

What would I like to see:

1) a more defensive mindset from the whole team, with an emphasis on accountability and pressure;

the team does what it is told.

The coach needs a more practical defensive mindset.

He could start by telling the players to stand 10 to 20 metres closer to their opponents after we score a behind. That might stop the ball leaking to the opposition forwards so easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 943

Here's our 3.5 year form line as a graph.

The only question I have is if the trend has bottomed out now, or whether there's more southward going line to come in the graph.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We all remember Jake pre mid 2016 and his ability, then his life changed for a number of reasons. He has never hit the same heights as his 2015 AA year, and pretty much was a non-event in the finals. Given he was a bully and trouble maker at the club, with no sympathy for Boyd and the things he said and did to him, his off field issues which I won't go into, I am glad he was given his marching orders. To blame his departure on a lack of management at the club is really a joke.

He has continued to be a good ordinary footballer, but nothing special. Good luck to him - the end.
    So why wasn't he suspended during his time with us if he was so bad?

No doubt he was/is a questionable character but the way we (management) handled the situation was diabolical.

We keep losing proven talent for more youth for various reasons and it needs to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah I'm the same - I've heard some pretty cooked stuff about why he was booted that make me not wholly disagree with the decision, but a bigger part of me thinks that Jake wasn't the only unprofessional one in all of this. Part of being an effective man-manager is having the emotional intelligence to navigate conflicts, and Bevo (who I still love) has several black marks against his name in this respect.
    I've heard plenty too, and no doubt he was disruptive/unprofessional to a degree, but why wasn't he suspended/punished?

We kicked him out of the club without punishing poor behaviour. Yes, we probably tried to 'help' him, but it still makes no sense to me. IF he was so bad, WHY didn't we send him away from the club for a period of time?

The bloke is supremely talented and we let him walk to one of our biggest rivals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    So why wasn't he suspended during his time with us if he was so bad?

No doubt he was/is a questionable character but the way we (management) handled the situation was diabolical.

We keep losing proven talent for more youth for various reasons and it needs to stop.
    You don't remember he was dropped to the VFL?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You don't remember he was dropped to the VFL?
    Form related which was 2016.

If he was as bad as was made out to be he should have been away from the club for a period of time.

We did nothing until we decided to kick him out, which was also handled poorly.

Post Thanks / Like

Form related which was 2016.

If he was as bad as was made out to be he should have been away from the club for a period of time.

We did nothing until we decided to kick him out
    , which was also handled poorly.
    Not one person on this forum knows that for sure TBB.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard plenty too, and no doubt he was disruptive/unprofessional to a degree, but why wasn't he suspended/punished?

We kicked him out of the club without punishing poor behaviour. Yes, we probably tried to 'help' him, but it still makes no sense to me. IF he was so bad, WHY didn't we send him away from the club for a period of time?

The bloke is supremely talented and we let him walk to one of our biggest rivals.
    I to agree with you. If he is as bad as it’s made out to be. How have the Bombers been able to change that around and these things not now be a issue.

Biggs an issue, Libba an issue, Dahl an issue. We all have had “issues” in family or workplaces and with some open communication and boundaries most of things fall into line.

I think with the likes of Monty, Murphy, Pickin and Marty Boyd gone has left a huge leadership gap that we didn’t realise would hurt so muck.

I remember seeing Redpath and Roughy in our leadership group and being surprised. Well they have gone too. This equates to 25% of our on field leaders.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.