Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R18 2019

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not sure. Yeah it's a shame for him.
    Yeah real shame for next week. Hope Fyfe is still out too.

Swans team now are a shadow of their sides of recent seasons.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

That body slam on Neal in the 1Qtr is reportable or Lions fans should riot.
    Faux tough teams like North and Port are crap. Play the game.
    Luke Darcy goes on and on and ON about how much Jack Z loves body contact and it's extremely annoying.
    Lions are a great side to watch, massive heart.
    North Lose, Scott Thompson is the culprit, all is well.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

It was interesting to see how the umpiring had such an effect in the last couple of minutes of both games tonight but for different reasons. For Bris v Nth it was paying a free kick that frankly wasn't there (McInerney) and for Freo v Syd it was not paying a free kick that definitely was there (htb free at centre half forward for Syd).

Still glad Bris won as I genuinely enjoy watching them play other teams and hope they do well come finals time if we don't make it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Yeah real shame for next week. Hope Fyfe is still out too.

Swans team now are a shadow of their sides of recent seasons.
    Great isn't it. I mean I like the Swans we beat them in the Granny but yeah, time to suffer for a while.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Great isn't it. I mean I like the Swans we beat them in the Granny but yeah, time to suffer for a while.
    But they're just rebuilding now, so it's fine. I mean they were so great that they almost won a premiership when we did, without any special assistance over time from the AFL, but at least now they get to rebuild without any scrutiny on them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    That body slam on Neal in the 1Qtr is reportable or Lions fans should riot.
    Faux tough teams like North and Port are crap. Play the game.
    Luke Darcy goes on and on and ON about how much Jack Z loves body contact and it's extremely annoying.
    Lions are a great side to watch, massive heart.
    North Lose, Scott Thompson is the culprit, all is well.
    Ziebell is nothing but a coward. I still haven't forgiven him taking Cloke out from behind in 2017. He could of killed the guy (Kidneys anyone?) and the AFL meeja are *!*!*!*!ing lionizing the guy?

My personal opinion is he is exactly the type of sniper we should be running out of the game.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes Testekill, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    It was interesting to see how the umpiring had such an effect in the last couple of minutes of both games tonight but for different reasons. For Bris v Nth it was paying a free kick that frankly wasn't there (McInerney) and for Freo v Syd it was not paying a free kick that definitely was there (htb free at centre half forward for Syd).

Still glad Bris won as I genuinely enjoy watching them play other teams and hope they do well come finals time if we don't make it.
    That McInerney free was rubbish...but then so was the one against him 3 minutes earlier for a ruck infringement against Brown which directly resulted in a goal to put North ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

North get plenty looked after by the umpires, it's good to see one actually go against them for once.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Brown is one of the premier floppers in the AFL so it's hilarious that North lost due to another player flopping.

11. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL team of the week. Hamling Fullback, Liam Jones CHB.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    That McInerney free was rubbish
    Yeah, well.

Those are paid sometimes - the hands in the back rule (well, the removal thereof) has created more confusion in the interpretation of the game for the umpires.

I think the umpires are battling right now. You could mount an argument that the ridiculous holding free-kick Essendon received with 3 or 4 minutes to go really snuffed out any chance of an Adelaide revival as well...

I don't accept the AFL medias continued assertions that the game is too complex and the most difficult to officiate in the world. It isn't. Pay the obvious free kicks - holding the man, holding the ball, high contact, in the back, throw/incorrect disposal, deliberate out of bounds....oh - and late contact = 50m penalty - and let everything else go (particularly ruck infringements). If the umpires weren't so determined to show off their knowledge of the rules and demonstrate that they see 'everything' then so much of the frustration in the game would simply disappear.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFL team of the week. Hamling Fullback, Liam Jones CHB.
    Jones has really turned his career around, good on him.
    I don't have any lingering animosity towards either guy.
    Hamling was a DFA, won us a flag then netted us a late second round pick. That's as perfect trading as you can hope for.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes bornadog, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yeah, well.

Those are paid sometimes - the hands in the back rule (well, the removal thereof) has created more confusion in the interpretation of the game for the umpires.

I think the umpires are battling right now. You could mount an argument that the ridiculous holding free-kick Essendon received with 3 or 4 minutes to go really snuffed out any chance of an Adelaide revival as well...

I don't accept the AFL medias continued assertions that the game is too complex and the most difficult to officiate in the world. It isn't. Pay the obvious free kicks - holding the man, holding the ball, high contact, in the back, throw/incorrect disposal, deliberate out of bounds....oh - and late contact = 50m penalty - and let everything else go (particularly ruck infringements). If the umpires weren't so determined to show off their knowledge of the rules and demonstrate that they see 'everything' then so much of the frustration in the game would simply disappear.
    I agree, they pay too many technical free kicks. The players aren't robots and perfect when they jump for the ball. The chopping of the arms is a good example. Of course you will bump into the players arms if you are both flying for the ball. The chopping of the arms was originally introduced, when full backs blatantly did a chopping action on the arms and weren't really going for the ball.

Let's get back to basics.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, they pay too many technical free kicks. The players aren't robots and perfect when they jump for the ball. The chopping of the arms is a good example. Of course you will bump into the players arms if you are both flying for the ball. The chopping of the arms was originally introduced, when full backs blatantly did a chopping action on the arms and weren't really going for the ball.

Let's get back to basics.
    Changing the rules and the interpretation of the rules each year can't help with continuity. AFL football is so quick these days umpires makes calls on instinct as much as players make decisions on instinct.

I know they're now on bikes absolutely gassed at training making decisions on the big screen to try and prepare but in game experience is vital and these days they get 25 games max of experience before they have to re-learn those instincts.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

What chance do we have when 5 St Kilda players are allowed to rough up Aaron Naughton and throw him to the ground, with an umpire watching the whole thing and no free kick be paid. The ball was 75m away. How is that not a free kick? Why weren't players fined and/or suspended like our players where when they attacked Gardiner at the last game at Whitten Oval.

And then they pay soft free kicks like the ones to Ben Brown and the Big O in Brisbane on Saturday night.
    Footscray member since 1980.