Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  50
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BT's Membership Score - Compare

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The Founder of East Coast Jeans was Denny Scharwz who became our major sponsor for 4 years when our Club was struggling for financial support. His parents for many years ran a Clothing store called The Working Man’s Friend in Hopkins Street Footscray. Denny was highly regarded and respected by all.
    It was after r4 in 1983 that Denny came on board. In 1983 not for the first time (Nor the last) we had gone into the season without a major sponsor so we went in with a 'Go West' type badge where the sponsors label would have been. But after we had won 3 of our first 4 Eastcoast (who had a factory in Maribyrnong and a big shop in Footscray) got on board. But the tariff led obsession with destroying local textile, clothing and footwear industries in the western suburbs closed Eastcoast down.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Thanks Grantysghost, Nuggety Back Pocket, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Starting supporting in 78 as 5 year old
    so 271 /41 = 6.6097

But I didn't become a member until I think 2000
    so 136/19 = 7.1578

Post Thanks / Like

Updated Comparison Tally (Higher = more general team success during membership, lower = less general team success during membership):

Choco 8.40
    Hujsh 8.21
    BD 7.96
    Josie 7.71
    Chef 7.61
    Ozza 7.56
    BT 7.50
    Axe 7.50
    Soupa 7.40
    Easty 7.05
    Mofra 7.05
    GG 6.97
    FT 6.60
    YHF 6.60
    DOC26 6.44
    KT 6.26
    HBR 6.24
    BAD 6.10
    DG 6.07
    JC 5.96
    Mera 5.92
    B4L 5.86
    NBP 5.75
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 16-06-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I have one really big question as a result of the people sharing their membership score. That is, it's clear success is cyclical for our club (like everyone else). But from the late 1980's our success cycle seems to turn around A LOT quicker, and our lows seem to be a little better than periods in the 60's and early 80's. The flag doesn't skew the numbers because the membership score is an average.

So, why? Is this because the club got its 'shit together' after Fightback? We're we able to keep good players for longer? Is this just 'equalisation' from the AFEL in operation? Or did something else happen to take us from cellar dwellers, or a good average side that plays finals often and snagged a flag?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I have one really big question as a result of the people sharing their membership score. That is, it's clear success is cyclical for our club (like everyone else). But from the late 1980's our success cycle seems to turn around A LOT quicker, and our lows seem to be a little better than periods in the 60's and early 80's. The flag doesn't skew the numbers because the membership score is an average.

So, why? Is this because the club got its 'shit together' after Fightback? We're we able to keep good players for longer? Is this just 'equalisation' from the AFEL in operation? Or did something else happen to take us from cellar dwellers, or a good average side that plays finals often and snagged a flag?
    Its a good question. One that needs a fair bit of hard analysis to produce a defensible argument.

For a start we'd have to look at all other team's ladder positions over the same time.
    Perhaps cross reference with significant competition changes, eg expansion of league, draft, equalisation rules.

I reckon there are enough variables as to render this a classic never-to-be incontrovertibly settled pub debate!
    Nice work BT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Its a good question. One that needs a fair bit of hard analysis to produce a defensible argument.

For a start we'd have to look at all other team's ladder positions over the same time.
    Perhaps cross reference with significant competition changes, eg expansion of league, draft, equalisation rules.

I reckon there are enough variables as to render this a classic never-to-be incontrovertibly settled pub debate!
    Nice work BT!
    The VFL/AFEL thing is easiest. Time wise, it fits loosely. The draft started in 1986 plus the zones, plus father/son. 1993 the priority pick was introduced. We benefitted big time when the PP rules were very generous (Cooney & Ray, Gryphone & Williams). We also benefitted with the father/son generosity, getting Libba & Wally fairly cheaply.

On the flip side, the introduction of new immature teams over the years has given us opportunity to win a little more on average, plus Fitzroy were putrid and worth a couple of wins a season.

I don't like this answer, because it means we haven't done much ourselves to improve the club from the inside. 7 prelims since 1992, that's a pre-lim on average every 3.5 years. That's not an insignificant achievement, especially looking at the time from say 1965-1983. So either we've done something to improve as a club, or the AFEL system has propped us up through changes that have made conditions softer for us. But since I wasn't around, I can't make a conclusion one way or the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Started going to games and comprehending what was happening in 1999 so 7.4 for me. 1 wooden spoon, 1 glorious night premiership, 1 slightly more glorious real premiership, 3 losing prelims, 6 coaches, 74 questionable recruiting decisions, 17 unfavourable trades, 125 disappointing crowds, 6 dud brothers, 12 players departing for bigger and better things, 92 baffling team selections, 43 undefendable performances, 2 whitten oval redevelopments, 13 proposed whitten oval redevelopments, 3 non-Melbourne homes away from home, 2 el presidentos and 1 Bontempelli.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Only 92?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post

Nice work BT!
    I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we effectively have had only 2 presidents in that time and the quality of those people. They have always put the club first, no naming of grandstands after themselves or addressing the players or sacking coaches because they didn't get along with them. Peter Gordon and David Smorgon are both quality people who have both reached into their pockets to contribute to the club when we have been on our uppers.

Looking back over the last 30 years, I don't know that we would have made as a single entity club based in the western suburbs without Peter or David's input and now we are thriving. Thank god they could see past the middle of next week and provided stability and a steering wheel when we really, really needed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The VFL/AFEL thing is easiest. Time wise, it fits loosely. The draft started in 1986 plus the zones, plus father/son. 1993 the priority pick was introduced. We benefitted big time when the PP rules were very generous (Cooney & Ray, Gryphone & Williams). We also benefitted with the father/son generosity, getting Libba & Wally fairly cheaply.

On the flip side, the introduction of new immature teams over the years has given us opportunity to win a little more on average, plus Fitzroy were putrid and worth a couple of wins a season.

I don't like this answer, because it means we haven't done much ourselves to improve the club from the inside. 7 prelims since 1992, that's a pre-lim on average every 3.5 years. That's not an insignificant achievement, especially looking at the time from say 1965-1983. So either we've done something to improve as a club, or the AFEL system has propped us up through changes that have made conditions softer for us. But since I wasn't around, I can't make a conclusion one way or the other.
    22 and 40 was it? I think Tom was exactly 18 picks or 1 full round after Mitch. From memory the club thought Tom was a bit on the lazy side and needed a rocket so they took Mitch first when on talent alone it should have been Libba with the earlier pick.

Zaine Cordy @ pick 62 was pretty sweet too. Lachie Hunter @ 49 was making out like a Mexican bandit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    22 and 40 was it? I think Tom was exactly 18 picks or 1 full round after Mitch. From memory the club thought Tom was a bit on the lazy side and needed a rocket so they took Mitch first when on talent alone it should have been Libba with the earlier pick.

Zaine Cordy @ pick 62 was pretty sweet too. Lachie Hunter @ 49 was making out like a Mexican bandit.
    We've been huge beneficiaries of the father/son rule. Even Ayce Cordy was a rated/bid at pick 8 or 9 and we got at 15 or so. Taking aside he failed as a footballer, that was a huge benefit. Then I suspect Kellett & MacPherson will get nabbed, not sure about Oliver Libba. Darcy is down the line. We passed on other draftees like Fossie Jnr and Darcy Mac, the latter can play. These parents deserve credit for 'getting it on' for the benefit of the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Active Dogs supporter since 1972, member from 1976.

303 / 47 years active = 6.44

Post Thanks / Like

X
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Similar to your own BAD
    357/60= 5.75
    2 Grandfinals, 1 Premiership, 4 Wooden Spoons
    Member since 1959
    Highlights being to follow 3 Club Champions in Ted Whitten, Doug Hawkins and George Bisset all from my junior Club in the Braybrook Football Club. Together with ‘54 Premiership Vice Captain, Wally Donald all four from Braybrook were in our Club’s Team of the Century
    I saw my first game of football at Pennell Reserve. It was a practice match between BFC and the Young Australian Chinese. It was in 1955. My sister was going out with Johnny Litchfield. He kicked a drop kick from near the centre and it bounced in the goal square and went through for a goal. She also went out on a date with Lyle Anderson who played for Braybrook and also played 24 games for Footscray.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    X
    I saw my first game of football at Pennell Reserve. It was a practice match between BFC and the Young Australian Chinese. It was in 1955. My sister was going out with Johnny Litchfield. He kicked a drop kick from near the centre and it bounced in the goal square and went through for a goal. She also went out on a date with Lyle Anderson who played for Braybrook and also played 24 games for Footscray.
    Johnny Litchfield was a fine footballer and cricketer. Lyle Anderson was an exceptional footballer and didn’t perhaps have the fierce desire to play more League games. The late Jim Middleton former Coach of Ted Whitten at Braybrook rated Anderson very highly.
    You bring back great memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    X
    Father of Butch?