Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is not in the Hall of Fame that should be?

Reading the Brad Hardie thread the other day, the inevitable discussion came up about Hall of Fame inductees, specifically who should and should not be there.

In that spirit, I want posters' nominations as to who should be in there already.

The criteria are as follows:

The Australian Football Hall of Fame seeks to recognise and enshrine players, coaches, umpires, administrators and media representatives who have made significant contributions to Australian Football – at any level – since the game’s inception in 1858.

The committee considers candidates on the basis of record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character. The number of games played, coached or umpired or years of service is a consideration only and does not determine eligibility.

Players are eligible only after they have been retired from the game for at least three years. Coaches, umpires, administrators and media representatives are eligible only after retirement.
    Twodogs quite rightly put up Kelvin Templeton. His accomplishments as a player and administrator should certainly be considered a 'significant contribution'.

I'm going to put up a name that very few would have heard. He's got nothing to do with our club, in fact, half of his playing career was in the old VFA.

William 'Bill' Proudfoot was part of Collingwood's inargural VFA team and played for its predecessor, the Brittania Club. His career with Collingwood spanned 15 years.

A solidly built full back, Proudfoot captained the club for three seasons and played in the club's first two VFL premierships, in 1902 and 1903.

A Police Officer, Proudfoot was prohibited from playing football by the Chief Commissioner of the day. He continued playing, however, under the surname 'Wilson'.

'Plod' was involved in an infamous incident in the VFA in 1896 against North Melbourne when a hostile Arden Street crowd turned on umpire Roberts at half time and a riot ensued. Proudfoot put himself in harms way to protect Roberts, and in turn was badly injured himself.

All up, Proudfoot would play 187 games for Collingwood between 1892 and 1906, kicking a solitary goal throughout his career.

Away from Football, Proudfoot was awarded a Bronze Medal in 1919 from the Royal Humane Society. He risked his life to stop two runaway horses, and forced them away from a tram car fully loaded with passengers.

He is currently a member of the Collingwood Hall of Fame and the Victoria Police Amateur Sports and Welfare Society Hall of Fame, alongside names such as Allan Jeans, Rex Hunt and Jack Dyer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is not in the Hall of Fame that should be?

If Gary Ablett Snr isn't in, then GAS. I'd prefer not to get into the issues outside of footy which are serious. Although as an aside, I met him once doing booze bus duties. He seemed nice, and he immediately asked if I needed to go through his car and if he needed pop the boot. Which is curious (perhaps used to that happening), but he seemed nice and was zero. But for footy awards/recognition then he deserves in.

But I don't think it will happen until they put GAJ in. He will give cover for GAS and be the first father/son inducted at the same time so there will be less media scrutiny on the outside of footy issues.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

GAS was inducted in 2005.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Should be a legend.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely Nicky Winmar should be in.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, Rocket Science, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, so it’s Legend status he’s been held from I take it from BAD.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Collins

56 Premiership player, VFL leading goal kicker 54 and 57 (was the Coleman Medal in 57), first player to kick 7 goals in a Grand Final, twice B&F for Footscray, 5 x Footscray leading goal kicker.

Later served as the secretary then president of Footscray so served the game after his playing career ended.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading the Brad Hardie thread the other day, the inevitable discussion came up about Hall of Fame inductees, specifically who should and should not be there.

In that spirit, I want posters' nominations as to who should be in there already.

The criteria are as follows:

Twodogs quite rightly put up Kelvin Templeton. His accomplishments as a player and administrator should certainly be considered a 'significant contribution'.

I'm going to put up a name that very few would have heard. He's got nothing to do with our club, in fact, half of his playing career was in the old VFA.

William 'Bill' Proudfoot was part of Collingwood's inargural VFA team and played for its predecessor, the Brittania Club. His career with Collingwood spanned 15 years.

A solidly built full back, Proudfoot captained the club for three seasons and played in the club's first two VFL premierships, in 1902 and 1903.

A Police Officer, Proudfoot was prohibited from playing football by the Chief Commissioner of the day. He continued playing, however, under the surname 'Wilson'.

'Plod' was involved in an infamous incident in the VFA in 1896 against North Melbourne when a hostile Arden Street crowd turned on umpire Roberts at half time and a riot ensued. Proudfoot put himself in harms way to protect Roberts, and in turn was badly injured himself.

All up, Proudfoot would play 187 games for Collingwood between 1892 and 1906, kicking a solitary goal throughout his career.

Away from Football, Proudfoot was awarded a Bronze Medal in 1919 from the Royal Humane Society. He risked his life to stop two runaway horses, and forced them away from a tram car fully loaded with passengers.

He is currently a member of the Collingwood Hall of Fame and the Victoria Police Amateur Sports and Welfare Society Hall of Fame, alongside names such as Allan Jeans, Rex Hunt and Jack Dyer
    Proudfoot is a ripper nomination. I love the story about the Chief Constable banning serving police officers from playing league football so Bill promptly changes his surname and carries on playing.

He lived in Werribee for the last 20 years of his life.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

How is it possible that Brad Hardie is now in the Hall of Fame, but Kelvin Templeton is not.

Templeton was a better player. The first Key Position forward to win a Brownlow Medal and also the youngest player to kick 100 goals in a season.

Templeton also contributed as an administrator.

Comparably Hardie retired to sniping from the sidelines.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

What Bulldog Joe said
    I can’t take it seriously until Templeton is in
    Absolute disgrace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Templeton was a better player. The first Key Position forward to win a Brownlow Medal and also the youngest player to kick 100 goals in a season.
    I thought Longmire was the youngest?

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Liberatore
    Morrish Medal: 1984
    2× Gardiner Medal: 1986, 1988
    Brownlow Medal: 1990
    Average tackles of 4.39 per game
    Liberatore played a total of 283 senior games for Footscray/Western Bulldogs in a career that included 13 finals
    Last edited by Hotdog60; 06-06-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

15. Likes bornadog, Twodogs, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Tony Liberatore
    Morrish Medal: 1984
    2× Gardiner Medal: 1986, 1988
    Brownlow Medal: 1990
    Average of 4.39 per game
    Liberatore played a total of 283 senior games for Footscray/Western Bulldogs in a career that included 13 finals
    Helped make a son (1991) to help win a premiership for the Western Bulldogs: 2016

17. Likes Max469, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought Longmire was the youngest?
    Never kicked 100, kicked 98 as a 19 year old though.

Perhaps Templeton was the youngest to kick 100 at the time because I think Lockett and Franklin were both slightly younger when they kicked theirs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Never kicked 100, kicked 98 as a 19 year old though.

Perhaps Templeton was the youngest to kick 100 at the time because I think Lockett and Franklin were both slightly younger when they kicked theirs.
    I looked up the ages. Templeton was the youngest at the time at 21 years and 316 days, Buddy was 21/207 the day he kicked his first century and Plugger was 21/152 days when he kicked his first century so that leaves Lockett as the current youngest century goalkicker.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite