Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  26
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jack Darling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Darling

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

He is SUPER consistent. What you get from him every single week is 12-touches, 3-marks ands 2-goals.

How could going after Darling be seen as a negative in any way...
    Schache’s averages with the Dogs last year: 12-touches, 4-marks ands 1.5 goals.

And he is running around in the reserves ?????

Is the problem who we play or how we play them?

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever's Darling's output he benefits enormously from being second fiddle and having a skilled midfield stuffing it down his throat.

He'd enjoy neither with us.

On paper he's still more credentialed than anything we can boast right now but that hardly means he'd succeed in our setup.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Schache’s averages with the Dogs last year: 12-touches, 4-marks ands 1.5 goals.

And he is running around in the reserves ?????

Is the problem who we play or how we play them?
    Schache was terrible for two weeks prior to being dropped. Selection should be earned, not granted
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Schache was terrible for two weeks prior to being dropped. Selection should be earned, not granted
    Problem being once you're down it's getting more difficult to get back up. There are quite a few who've been dropped for poor form, perform at VFL level and hardly sited again. Fetch, Lew Young, Schache.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Schache saved the Dog’s year by winning the game against the Hawks.

15 possessions, 5 marks and 4 goals. Without that contribution (better than many of Darling’s) we might be looking at the wooden spoon.

The guy has talent. The club doesn’t have anyone who can develop talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache saved the Dog’s year by winning the game against the Hawks.

15 possessions, 5 marks and 4 goals. Without that contribution (better than many of Darling’s) we might be looking at the wooden spoon.

The guy has talent. The club doesn’t have anyone who can develop talent.
    You're right. Because Schache played one good game 10 weeks ago we shouldn't go after Darling.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    You're right. Because Schache played one good game 10 weeks ago we shouldn't go after Darling.
    you are correct. I don’t see our major problem as being CHF.

The dramatic decline in the club’s performance has been caused by the bizarre manipulation of the ruck, and fixing that should be number one priority. We have rarely seen a hitout to advantage in the last three years.

who wasn’t stunned when we recruited Cloke only to have him running around in the ruck so much. Look at the players who have not reached their potential and see if they have been in the ruck. Personally I was surprised to see Roughead taken from the backline and remoulded as a ruckman where his best performances can only be described as fair.

English might become a good ruckman but he is nowhere near that yet. He should be playing as an agile tall forward and supporting the number one ruckman (who we don’t have).

The last time we had a dominant ruckman handing control to the onballers was Campbell beating Goldstein a few years ago. And that got him dropped. Now we have evolved to the point where two games ago Goldstein destroyed us.

This has been the critical problem for years and any other focus is simply a distraction.

Post Thanks / Like

you are correct. I don’t see our major problem as being CHF.

The dramatic decline in the club’s performance has been caused by the bizarre manipulation of the ruck, and fixing that should be number one priority. We have rarely seen a hitout to advantage in the last three years.

who wasn’t stunned when we recruited Cloke only to have him running around in the ruck so much. Look at the players who have not reached their potential and see if they have been in the ruck. Personally I was surprised to see Roughead taken from the backline and remoulded as a ruckman where his best performances can only be described as fair.

English might become a good ruckman but he is nowhere near that yet. He should be playing as an agile tall forward and supporting the number one ruckman (who we don’t have).

The last time we had a dominant ruckman handing control to the onballers was Campbell beating Goldstein a few years ago. And that got him dropped. Now we have evolved to the point where two games ago Goldstein destroyed us.

This has been the critical problem for years and any other focus is simply a distraction.
    You're right about our ruck situation being dire, but Darling would be our best forward and our second best player if we got him over. It's illogical to mount an argument that Darling wouldn't be a tremendous acquisition because other areas need attention.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    You're right about our ruck situation being dire, but Darling would be our best forward and our second best player if we got him over. It's illogical to mount an argument that Darling wouldn't be a tremendous acquisition because other areas need attention.
    Can we afford both? I don’t believe so. That means prioritising, and for me the ruck disaster is going to prevent the club climbing the ladder in any significant way.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we afford both? I don’t believe so. That means prioritising, and for me the ruck disaster is going to prevent the club climbing the ladder in any significant way.
    We should pick up an older ruck with a year or two left but they should be cheap and not stop us from adding some real quality forward of the ball
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Why can't we afford to try and fix our forward line and our ruck situation at the same time? Why can't we also try and improve our defence as well?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Why can't we afford to try and fix our forward line and our ruck situation at the same time? Why can't we also try and improve our defence as well?
    I have read here that we probably can’t afford Darling. How can we get him and a ruckman and a champion backman?

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of salary we can for sure. Trades would depend on the players/situation. Unless they're a free agent

Post Thanks / Like

I have read here that we probably can’t afford Darling. How can we get him and a ruckman and a champion backman?
    We can afford Darling, I think the questions have been more along the lines of will we get value for money given the likely premium you'd have to pay to prise him away from WCE. No doubt he would make our forward line better, but we need to weigh up the cost versus who we may be able to secure and how our listed players like Schache might develop.

It's unlikely we'll land a champion defender, ruck or forward, not many of them move. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try, and failing actually landing one, have a contingency strategy for incremental improvement.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Whatever's Darling's output he benefits enormously from being second fiddle and having a skilled midfield stuffing it down his throat.

He'd enjoy neither with us.
    Don't agree with that. We are top three for inside 50's, and marks inside 50. He would have plenty of opportunities to kick goals. JUst have to be accurate, which I believe Darling is.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.