Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jack Darling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Darling

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sounds like we are all out to snag some high profile players.
    We are going to be reported as chasing everyone with a pulse between now and the end of the trade period. Only 5% of it will likely have any substance.

I'm just waiting for us to be linked to Israel Folau.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We are going to be reported as chasing everyone with a pulse between now and the end of the trade period. Only 5% of it will likely have any substance.

I'm just waiting for us to be linked to Israel Folau.
    Folau was 'pretty good' at GWS. A very versatile player, lightning speed with bulk and height. ARU & NRL won't have him. Surely we have to be linked to him. Sounds exactly the type of player we need........
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really like him, but don't see why he'd leave and we'd be paying a lot for him.

Think there's nothing in this one.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't want to derail the thread but i think that the whole Folau thing has been a cunning plan to get him into the NFL sooner rather than later right from the outset. i don't think hes any chance of succeeding in the NFL but good luck to him with it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

He'd be a quality addition. I suspect we will see a number of names being linked with us before the trade period
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He'd be a quality addition. I suspect we will see a number of names being linked with us before the trade period
    History suggests we won't land a big name - reality is not many of them actually leave and the ones that do typically go to the bigger clubs.

Whilst we should still go for who we want, I hope we are also being astute in plucking a few other lists. Suckling has been an excellent selection, ditto Crozier. If we can keep finding a few of these (ideally key defender/ruck) it'll help.

8. Likes Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He kicked 24 goals in his debut season in a team that won the wooden spoon the year before.

He is serious quality but I really don't think he's gettable, certainly not at a sensible price.
    Meh - he did burst onto the scene but was a long time ago, he's good but not great. Good mark for his size, decent set shot. Very ordinary below his knees and not overly quick, even lumbering. He's a natural but traditional forward and we need a player like that but like you I can't see him giving up on everything the West offers both on and off the field.

I'm ok with that because he's not the type of player I'd get fixated on. Still better to spend the money on him than the likes of Issac Smith.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    History suggests we won't land a big name - reality is not many of them actually leave and the ones that do typically go to the bigger clubs.

Whilst we should still go for who we want, I hope we are also being astute in plucking a few other lists. Suckling has been an excellent selection, ditto Crozier. If we can keep finding a few of these (ideally key defender/ruck) it'll help.
    Landing a big name would be great for the club in a lot of ways but I don't mind the option of bringing in players like Crozier and Suckling either assuming we miss on the real bigger names
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Fine, be proactive behind the scenes but can we avoid challenging for Norf's desperate and dateless mantle please. The list of who we won't throw a line at will be shorter than the list of blokes we will by year's end.

Darling's better than anything we have up forward at the minute and a perfect second fiddle in a high quality outfit.

He'd be a complete disaster in ours.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

12. Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Fine, be proactive behind the scenes but can we avoid challenging for Norf's desperate and dateless mantle please. The list of who we won't throw a line at will be shorter than the list of blokes we will by year's end.

Darling's better than anything we have up forward at the minute and a perfect second fiddle in a high quality outfit.

He'd be a complete disaster in ours.
    I agree, but in saying that we do need to consider how to improve our list, and there's no doubt he would. We have to at some stage bite the bullet I suppose and start to fill our holes down forward. We will get better through the midfield as our list matures. In two years he'll be 28 and hopefully we have brought in more outside run and a good back. If Naughton can progress as a forward, we sort our shite out in the midfield and half back and Darling comes in, he may be productive for us.

Still, I'd rather we spend our money on Tomlinson who would be far more gettable, is younger and a bit cheaper and throw the sink at Astbury. I'm open to Martin as a small forward for the right price. Tomlinson, Astbury and Martin would be great acquisitions.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I agree, but in saying that we do need to consider how to improve our list, and there's no doubt he would. We have to at some stage bite the bullet I suppose and start to fill our holes down forward. We will get better through the midfield as our list matures. In two years he'll be 28 and hopefully we have brought in more outside run and a good back. If Naughton can progress as a forward, we sort our shite out in the midfield and half back and Darling comes in, he may be productive for us.

Still, I'd rather we spend our money on Tomlinson who would be far more gettable, is younger and a bit cheaper and throw the sink at Astbury. I'm open to Martin as a small forward for the right price. Tomlinson, Astbury and Martin would be great acquisitions.
    Sure, but where's that going to come from? The draft?

Darling's also doubly-buggered in our system because if he's not making hay up forward where else can you play him? Footscray, that's where.

If we're going to throw the kitchen sink at someone let's prioritise a high-energy small forward with quickness and an appetite for chasing. I'll take two of those thank you.

Failing that an athletic tall defender who can lock down on troublesome opposition bigs and hurt them going the other way. One of those will do nicely.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Ideally we have players identified we think can thrive with us and our system who are maybe struggling in their current environment/role (in the Crozier mold) rather than just big name players but a big name player wouldn't hurt either.

16. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Ideally we have players identified we think can thrive with us and our system who are maybe struggling in their current environment/role (in the Crozier mold) rather than just big name players but a big name player wouldn't hurt either.
    I wonder if we're looking at Adelaide.
    We were linked to Josh Jenkins recently (whom I'm not excited about) but Hugh Greenwood seems like our cheap type of target.
    Big body who can play forward and pinch hit in the midfield if need be.
    190cm / 90kg and 27 as he was in the US playing basketball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I wonder if we're looking at Adelaide.
    We were linked to Josh Jenkins recently (whom I'm not excited about) but Hugh Greenwood seems like our cheap type of target.
    Big body who can play forward and pinch hit in the midfield if need be.
    190cm / 90kg and 27 as he was in the US playing basketball.
    Sounds like the kind of big bodied mid-tall forward we've missed without Stringer or Crameri.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Failing that an athletic tall defender who can lock down on troublesome opposition bigs and hurt them going the other way. One of those will do nicely.
    Darcy Moore
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.