Likes Likes:  26
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jack Darling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Darling

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I doubt we could land Darling but he'd be an excellent addition

More than capable of kicking 40 plus goals for us
    my preference would be to go all out to get a ruckman who can keep control of the momentum in a game.

English can’t and won’t for a couple of years. And he could kick 40 goals from CHF.

Not treating the ruck seriously has been a very significant factor in the team’s decline over last few years.

Post Thanks / Like

WC if they go after Kelly will need to free up the cash which is why Darling has been thrown up. He will be gettable if Kelly picks WC as his go to club but will cost and we will be paying well over the odds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    WC if they go after Kelly will need to free up the cash which is why Darling has been thrown up. He will be gettable if Kelly picks WC as his go to club but will cost and we will be paying well over the odds.
    Forgetting the money, is he worth chasing in your opinion.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    In that scenario West Coast will also need our first round draft pick to send to Geelong for Kelly.

Maybe we can just convince Tim Kelly that we are west enough for him and nab him instead.

Post Thanks / Like

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-14...-forwards-stay

So, looks like the Eagles and Darling are keen to extend. It’s almost like somebody’s management planted a story about another teams interest in their client to motivate a team to extend the contract of said client early, even though it still had a year to run.
    At least that’s what I’d think if I were cynical.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post

So, looks like the Eagles and Darling are keen to extend. It’s almost like somebody’s management planted a story about another teams interest in their client to motivate a team to extend the contract of said client early, even though it still had a year to run.
    Darling was liking our social media too. Seems we are the club to drive up contracts of players who don’t want to play for us. Not even giving us a commission on the extra dollars.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Was around in Perth before he was drafted. He is just another local boy who had no intentions of playing anywhere else. It's a different breed over there. There would have to be some over the top shit go down for him to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post

No. That would never happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    Was around in Perth before he was drafted. He is just another local boy who had no intentions of playing anywhere else. It's a different breed over there. There would have to be some over the top shit go down for him to leave.
    Yet somehow people seem to think Coniglio is going to move from the Giants to a Victorian club, somehow Franklin moved from Melbourne to Sydney, somehow Mcgovern went from Adelaide to Melbourne...somehow a lot of stuff happens where PERTH boys move to Melbourne and are perfectly happy...if we want someone, we should go after them ‘cos there is going to be a cash squeeze at West Coast and they won’t be able to pay them all.

Weren’t Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli selected in the same draft as Tim Kelly? They are due big pay rises as well...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yet somehow people seem to think Coniglio is going to move from the Giants to a Victorian club, somehow Franklin moved from Melbourne to Sydney, somehow Mcgovern went from Adelaide to Melbourne...somehow a lot of stuff happens where PERTH boys move to Melbourne and are perfectly happy...if we want someone, we should go after them ‘cos there is going to be a cash squeeze at West Coast and they won’t be able to pay them all.

Weren’t Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli selected in the same draft as Tim Kelly? They are due big pay rises as well...
    None of those players are jack darling. I'm commenting on jack darling specifically. Why do naming other players that have move relate to what I said about scaredy cat anyways?

Post Thanks / Like

Darling plays 3 very good games a year reminiscent of Neon Leon, we would pay totally overs for that, nowhere near worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    None of those players are jack darling. I'm commenting on jack darling specifically. Why do naming other players that have move relate to what I said about scaredy cat anyways?
    Ummm...'cos you said '...He is just another local boy who had no intentions of playing anywhere else. It's a different breed over there....'

I reckon the words "ANOTHER local boy" and "It's a different breed" (I figure you meant "they're a different breed") pretty much meant you had broadened the net beyond Darling and were commenting on players from WA...

As for calling him a 'scaredy cat'...well, sorry. He's played a lot more games of AFL footy than I ever did and I'm pretty confident he's played a lot more than you as well. If you are referring to one moment in the 2015 grand final and judging a career by that, well...

A couple of weeks ago he kicked a bag of 6 against us and if you (or anyone else) don't thing he would make our side better, then you have an over-appreciation of our current group of forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Darling plays 3 very good games a year reminiscent of Neon Leon, we would pay totally overs for that, nowhere near worth it.
    I am not sure if this is fair.

Since 2011, he's played less than 20-games only once. So he's durable.
    Since 2012, he's kicked less than 40-goals once (39 in 2014) when playing 20 games. In 2015 he played 15 games and kicked 26.18.
    He averages pretty much 12 possessions per game against every single opposition club (15 vs us, 9 vs North - ironically, vs North he has played in 8-wins and just 2-losses).

He is SUPER consistent. What you get from him every single week is 12-touches, 3-marks ands 2-goals. That game a couple of weeks ago vs us was the first time he had kicked more than 4 in a game. He is a solid, consistent performer.

I'm sorry but I don't get the hate here...he is a good player who delivers equally no matter what the venue (though York Park is where his highest per game averages are!) and no matter the opposition.

How could going after Darling be seen as a negative in any way...

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the only difference is that in all of those scenarios none were drafted to a Perth club and left WA. I struggle to think of many examples where that’s happened. It’s not impossible but pretty unlikely. I’d still be happy to throw a bunch of cash at any of those 3 and see if we could set a precedent.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if this is fair.

Since 2011, he's played less than 20-games only once. So he's durable.
    Since 2012, he's kicked less than 40-goals once (39 in 2014) when playing 20 games. In 2015 he played 15 games and kicked 26.18.
    He averages pretty much 12 possessions per game against every single opposition club (15 vs us, 9 vs North - ironically, vs North he has played in 8-wins and just 2-losses).

He is SUPER consistent. What you get from him every single week is 12-touches, 3-marks ands 2-goals. That game a couple of weeks ago vs us was the first time he had kicked more than 4 in a game. He is a solid, consistent performer.

I'm sorry but I don't get the hate here...he is a good player who delivers equally no matter what the venue (though York Park is where his highest per game averages are!) and no matter the opposition.

How could going after Darling be seen as a negative in any way...

I'm not sure. The old footy adage of "never being able to have too many good players" comes to mind. If a recruit is going to come in and improve your team straight away than I fail to see how that's a bad thing.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite