Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sheahan into the Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Just read an article where Peter Gordon has said he is going to extend Beveridges contract shortly.
    Excellent
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not excellent. He's already contracted for 2020. We are 14th after falling three straight years, and still not addressed skills, including goal kicking. I'd look at his contract next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not excellent. He's already contracted for 2020. We are 14th after falling three straight years, and still not addressed skills, including goal kicking. I'd look at his contract next year.
    Thing is goal kicking seems to be something all clubs are terrible at.
    Buckley and Hardwick both had very lean years and were nearly sacked.
    Yes we have problems but I think it’s a combination of sorts and we do need to change things but not Luke.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Thing is goal kicking seems to be something all clubs are terrible at.
    Buckley and Hardwick both had very lean years and were nearly sacked.
    Yes we have problems but I think it’s a combination of sorts and we do need to change things but not Luke.
    He's already contracted for next year. Whose changing anything? In fact I'm arguing to leave things the same right now and address the contract extension next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Just read an article where Peter Gordon has said he is going to extend Beveridges contract shortly.
    Whats the rush?

We need to be careful.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Good move. I get the argument about being cautious but I'd rather be proactive if we believe he is the right man

We do however, need to change things around in my opinion so that Beveridge has a narrower focus
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This is real rock and hard place stuff.

Bevo needs to be fielding some hard questions internally before we rattle off another extension, and perhaps that's what's transpired.

But if we go the cautious route and remain non-committal beyond this season you can bet he'd be courted, and courted hard.

I hope he's got a convincing plan and we stitch him up.

If there's no discernible progress by this time next year and he's got a freshly inked extension in his kick I'm picturing a very fractious supporter base, and plenty of meeja mud.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can’t post a link can you let us know the publication and author?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon backs Luke Beveridge as Bulldogs coach beyond 2020

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has backed Luke Beveridge to be the long-term coach of the club.

Beveridge comes out of contract at the end of next year and despite the team’s inconsistent form over the past three seasons, there is no talk at Whitten Oval of pressure mounting.

While Gordon says there is no rush to start talks on a new deal, the 2016 premiership coach is the right man to lead the emerging group.

“I expect him to not move and be coach of the Western Bulldogs for a very long time,” an emphatic Gordon told the Herald Sun.

“He’s been a terrific coach for us, he’s got great relationships across the board, top to bottom, and I expect that he’ll be senior coach here for a lot longer than I’ll be president.

“We get on really well and I’m sure when, as both colleagues and friends, when it’s a suitable time for us to have that discussion we’ll do it.

There’s no tension in the relationship or any pressure on that from his point of view or mine and I think that’s important to navigate a club through challenging times.”

The Bulldogs are 15th on the ladder but remain in the finals hunt, sitting two games and percentage outside the top eight.

With wins over current top-eight sides Richmond and Brisbane, Gordon believes the Bulldogs can challenge the best teams while getting games into its youngsters.

“I don’t write this season off by any means for the Bulldogs,” Gordon said. “It’s interesting to see the ups and downs — Sydney were really interesting on the weekend and if we win this weekend we go one (win) ahead of them with half the season effectively to come.

“Everyone has got to aim for the finals as long as its possible. You’ve got to put your best food forward every week.

“The thing about AFL at the moment is it’s not enough just to tick boxes or KPIs, you’ve got to be better than the competition and it’s increasingly a cutthroat competition with great teams across the board, that’s what competitive balance is all about.

“We haven’t been that far away but for a few results, which could have easily gone the other way, we could have been in the top four.

“We’ve lost games narrowly to Gold Coast and to Carlton, we weren’t that far away from Geelong and Collingwood and we’re getting important games into people who are going to be really important parts of our next 10 years, including kids like Bailey Smith, Tim English and Aaron Naughton. We’ve got really good quality there.”

Western Bulldogs on Wednesday launched a special ‘Fightback’ guernsey, which will be worn in Round 17 to commemorate 30 years since the club’s ‘Fightback’ movement, raising over $1.6 million in 1989 to avoid a merger with Fitzroy.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks azabob, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this a different article? Ledge said PG was extending the contract shortly. PG in this article says there's no rush to start talks on a new deal...

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a different article? Ledge said PG was extending the contract shortly. PG in this article says there's no rush to start talks on a new deal...
    Article I read was on the footy live app, obviously Peter is looking at keeping him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Article I read was on the footy live app, obviously Peter is looking at keeping him.
    So the media reporting one story in two completely different ways at the same time? That's about the standard of media right now.

But that PG is quoted by the Hun. I'll take that. It's also a very politician like position to take.

Post Thanks / Like

So the media reporting one story in two completely different ways at the same time? That's about the standard of media right now.

But that PG is quoted by the Hun. I'll take that. It's also a very politician like position to take.
    Aye, that's my reading too.

*YELLS* ... "Relax everyone, Bevo's our man!"

*whispers to Bevo* ... "But we've got a little bit to talk about first"

Onya Gordo.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

June 12 2019 - 3:24PM
    Dogs back long-term AFL deal for Beveridge

Michael Ramsey

Even without a finals appearance this season, the Bulldogs say Luke Beveridge will remain as coach.
    Even without a finals appearance this season, the Bulldogs say Luke Beveridge will remain as coach.

Club president Peter Gordon is adamant Luke Beveridge remains the man to take the Western Bulldogs forward, even if they miss the AFL finals for a third straight season.

The Bulldogs sit 15th on the ladder after 12 rounds, having not tasted September action since Beveridge led them to the premiership in 2016.

Beveridge's contract expires at the end of next season but Gordon expects to arrange an extension for the 48-year-old before that point.

"I think that Bevo is a terrific coach, has done a terrific job and I expect him to be coach of the Bulldogs for a long, long time," Gordon told AAP.

"I have total confidence in him. I believe that he has total confidence in me and we'll work those things out like any friends and colleagues would."

The Bulldogs on Wednesday marked the 30-year anniversary of the 'Fightback' campaign which saved Footscray from a merger with Fitzroy.

Fans raised more than $1.6 million to help ensure the club's survival, while Fitzroy went on to merge with the Brisbane Bears in 1996.

The Bulldogs will wear commemorative guernseys featuring their old Footscray logo when they host Melbourne in round 17.

Convincing wins over Richmond, Brisbane and Hawthorn this season have shown what the Dogs are capable of at their best.

But the Dogs limped into their mid-season bye with three straight losses, capped by a 61-point drubbing from premiers West Coast.

"At our best we can beat anyone but unfortunately we've had inconsistencies throughout the year," captain Easton Wood said.

"Our challenge going into the second half of the year is being able to put together those consistent four-quarter performances."

The Bulldogs have consistently been among the youngest and least experienced sides this season, a problem exacerbated by the AFL's clampdown on runners.

"That's obviously a real challenge," Wood said.

"We can still get messages out at different times but as captain and as leaders on the ground, we have to be really mindful of where the young boys and where the entire group is at.

"Whether they feel like we've taken a step back or making sure we're really positive and still in that mind frame of being willing to win the game, not going into that safe brand of footy where things can just spiral out of control.

"That's our challenge. We've got to be vocal and make sure that when things aren't going well - because it happens almost every game - that the young boys look to you as a beacon of support and strength."

https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story...ridge/?cs=7660
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^^^^^

That article is from 5 hours ago

This one is from an hour ago but is firewalled, hopefully someone can post it?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscri...v21suffix=19-b
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite