Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  40

View Poll Results: Should fans be ejected for sledging umpires?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes kick them out. Support our umpires

    2 6.45%
  • Sledging umpires is a great tradition!

    13 41.94%
  • Warning given to fans before ejection

    16 51.61%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 95
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    8,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thank goodness we don't do this - absolutely demeaning to women. WE tried this in the 70's, and we had Charlie's Angels cheersquad. A bunch of girls with not much on - maybe the men like it, but I am 100% sure most women wouldn't have.

    On the question of being thrown out for abusing the umpire - I think a warning if it is not spouting racial vilification, or hatred towards the minority etc - is appropriate. Using the word Poof like the Carlton supporter is not on.
    Different culture isn't it! Even in some US primary schools, I heard they have cheerleading competitions.
    "We've got to be good in the phone box, and good in the tardis" - Pearls of wisdom from Luke Beveridge.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    I don’t have a problem with umpire abuse , it’s the fact they are umpires it’s nothing to do with personal, we have all gone off at umpires but to be honest I wouldn’t have a clue who they are(except Razor) it’s a 2 second rant at a wrong decision, not a personal attack on the actual person.
    To be honest I might go off at Razor but you know what ? I respect him for doing the job, it’s a near on impossible with the way the AFL makes grey rules.
    Just don’t make bad decisions against the Bulldogs .
    Another way to look at it is why are spectators abusing umpires ?
    Maybe the AFL need to look at themselves and a lot of stupid rules the umpires are forced to adjudicate on that are so grey !
    Bring back the biff

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thank goodness we don't do this - absolutely demeaning to women. WE tried this in the 70's, and we had Charlie's Angels cheersquad. A bunch of girls with not much on - maybe the men like it, but I am 100% sure most women wouldn't have.

    On the question of being thrown out for abusing the umpire - I think a warning if it is not spouting racial vilification, or hatred towards the minority etc - is appropriate. Using the word Poof like the Carlton supporter is not on.
    The Carlton fan says he used the word flog and he was choosing his words carefully because of what happened to the Richmond cheer squad last week. Umpires and the like need to be careful here, they don't get the benefit of speaking with privilege, if they say that someone called them a poof then they have to be able to prove that the person they have picked out of a crowd of thousands did indeed call them a poof or face the fact that they have defamed someone's character, caused that person to be vilified and had them thrown out of the ground because they have imagined an insult.

    I couldn't be that sure.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    39,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The Carlton fan says he used the word flog and he was choosing his words carefully because of what happened to the Richmond cheer squad last week. Umpires and the like need to be careful here, they don't get the benefit of speaking with privilege, if they say that someone called them a poof then they have to be able to prove that the person they have picked out of a crowd of thousands did indeed call them a poof or face the fact that they have defamed someone's character, caused that person to be vilified and had them thrown out of the ground because they have imagined an insult.

    I couldn't be that sure.
    Thanks, I did see they changed it to flog.

    I wonder if you have any redress against the Stadium management. Where does it say in the terms of entry you can't call someone a flog
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks, I did see they changed it to flog.

    I wonder if you have any redress against the Stadium management. Where does it say in the terms of entry you can't call someone a flog
    No worries BAD.

    If the guy were to take action then it would be against the umpire in question wouldn't it? If this has played out in the way it's said to have then he's the one who has slandered the Carlton supporter. I doubt stadium management or the umpires' department send umpires out and tell them to defame fans.

    This is down to the individual (umpire) in question. He needs to understand that his action had a consequence for the person he pointed out and I hope that person takes an action and gets the remedy the law says he should, whether that's an apology or financial recompense.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    2,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    As a youngen, I would boo and call the umpires ‘white maggots’. It’s what I saw, it’s what I replicated. As a father of two, I teach my kids not to boo. It’s the lowest order of wit and not needed in the game. I teach them to cheer for their team (one Bulldog, one Docker) and not boo the opposition players, regardless of their actions ( except Stringer ... GrubGrubGrubGrub him ).

    As I have grown older, and society has matured, the need/want to boo has waned. Time to move on.

    In regard to abusing umpires, I use a smart-Alec comment that does not contain a swear word or is derogatory. The umpires (as a whole) do an incredible job.
    WOOF Member 422

  7. Likes hujsh liked this post
  8. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    If an umpire isn't getting abused doesn't that mean his doing a good job.
    If you can't let him or her know the error of their ways how will they know they have had a good game.
    I never boo and I never rant unless it's in my own home in private.
    When ever I get a chance to see a game live I'm very meek and people wouldn't even know I'm there.
    There are plenty of talented people in the world. As you already know, talent is not enough. Some of the athletes with the most potential never pan out. What separates the good from the great is determination and work ethic.

  9. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
  10. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    If he called him a poof , how is that derogatory?
    Haven’t we all been told we are all the same no matter our sexual preferences ?
    What if he is gay and we call him a heterosexual or straight is that supporter kicked out ?
    I don’t get how society works how PC is ridiculously pushed to the minority and the majority are stepped on.
    I give an example if you call an aboriginal an ape it’s an insult but if you call a white man an ape it means your big and strong.
    I’ve always known calling someone an ape meant you were a big guy , nothing to do with skin colour or race.
    Umpires have been booed off the ground since I’ve know football, mainly because the person booing is a fan of the losing team and are one eyed supporter. *!*!*!*! me it’s not personal it’s a vent it’s where people go to be emotional about their team and the team they play.
    Really want to see abuse and bullying go to an interstate game , I’m old I’m aged I take it like water off a ducks back and after the game you can usually have a beer with the supporters who were yelling and screaming.
    I went to our AFL grand final both sides supporters were emotional and threw the odd line at players and umpires , after we won a swans supporter actually bought me a beer and congratulated us.
    I’m sure that once that siren goes players supporters and umpires errors are all forgotten and no one would be vindictive.
    It’s more the media spinning this rubbish and making the whole supporting your team and not the opposition a joke.
    On that note I have seen it’s mostly a teams supporters who barrack for the same team that get into fights, it’s the alcohol that does it but no way will the AFL admit to that! Responsible serving of alcohol at football games doesn’t exist.
    Bring back the biff

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    If he called him a poof , how is that derogatory?
    Haven’t we all been told we are all the same no matter our sexual preferences ?
    What if he is gay and we call him a heterosexual or straight is that supporter kicked out ?
    I don’t get how society works how PC is ridiculously pushed to the minority and the majority are stepped on.
    I give an example if you call an aboriginal an ape it’s an insult but if you call a white man an ape it means your big and strong.
    I’ve always known calling someone an ape meant you were a big guy , nothing to do with skin colour or race.
    Umpires have been booed off the ground since I’ve know football, mainly because the person booing is a fan of the losing team and are one eyed supporter. *!*!*!*! me it’s not personal it’s a vent it’s where people go to be emotional about their team and the team they play.
    Really want to see abuse and bullying go to an interstate game , I’m old I’m aged I take it like water off a ducks back and after the game you can usually have a beer with the supporters who were yelling and screaming.
    I went to our AFL grand final both sides supporters were emotional and threw the odd line at players and umpires , after we won a swans supporter actually bought me a beer and congratulated us.
    I’m sure that once that siren goes players supporters and umpires errors are all forgotten and no one would be vindictive.
    It’s more the media spinning this rubbish and making the whole supporting your team and not the opposition a joke.
    On that note I have seen it’s mostly a teams supporters who barrack for the same team that get into fights, it’s the alcohol that does it but no way will the AFL admit to that! Responsible serving of alcohol at football games doesn’t exist.
    Because that particular word has negative connotations and is often used in a pejorative manner? If you really need to differentiate (and I don't see what somebody's sexuality has to do with their ability to umpire or play the game-The boundary umpire Graeme Carbery managed perfectly well until Phil Carmen headbutted him and then chose to out him in the press.) then why not use the words gay or queer which is what they chose to call themselves?

    If you really want to understand then Google the name Ian Roberts (Rugby League) and read a little about his story to get a different view of the situation.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  12. Likes hujsh, bornadog liked this post
  13. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    8,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    I didn't really start this as a revisionist look at the Goodes incident. That's just one isolated incident but sheds light on AFL's poor processes. Adam's actions are in no way questioned. It's about the AFL and how they want to manage crowds. If they are serious about stamping out racism, and abuse of umpires, they need to have a unified policy with other stadiums and codes so their policies are clear, unified at VFL level as well, to protect umpires in a way that keeps the flow of the game. If their policies are done poorly, probably not a lot will happen other than a few people giving up on AFL or choosing to stay at home to watch it. I imagine the AFL can live with that. Someone brave may try to sue them I guess.
    "We've got to be good in the phone box, and good in the tardis" - Pearls of wisdom from Luke Beveridge.

  14. Likes hujsh liked this post
  15. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    Personally reckon there’s a lot of grey in this. I was shocked someone would get tossed out for calling someone a flog, but can see why they would for calling someone a poof, ape, or similar “hate” words. Society has moved on from that stuff... but surely we can call an ump a flog, a clown, a muppet... that kind of thing.

  16. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rosebud
    Posts
    6,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...11-p51wfr.html

    'I'm not at the ballet': Cops bail up Pies fan for 'barracking too loud'

    A footy fan at Monday's Queen's Birthday clash at the MCG claims he was threatened with eviction by half a dozen police because he was "barracking too loud".

    Pies supporter Simon Grech, 39, a self-described "very passionate supporter", says he was sitting with a group of mates in his usual seat in the Collingwood reserve section when the police approached him in the second quarter after a spectacular Jordan De Goey goal.

    He said police acknowledged he was not swearing or being abusive, and when he questioned them about the apparent problem an officer replied: "Do you hear what I said? You're barracking too loud".

    Mr Grech said another officer told him he wasn't doing anything wrong but that they had to follow protocol.

    "I want to to know whose orders are they acting on because it's getting beyond a joke," Mr Grech said.

    "I'm not at the ballet, I'm at the footy. I pay $1000 a year ... Why should the AFL take my money and then take away my right to support my team?

    "For the whole second half I didn't say boo. They used the words 'unsociable barracking' or something like that ... do they want us to wear seat belts now so we can't jump up?

    "You want me to start fairy-clapping? Are we at a cupcake contest?"

    The incident sparked a social media firestorm on Monday after someone sitting nearby posted to Twitter that the father of two was "not offensive, not swearing, just loud."

    Fans have been up in arms after a series of recent bans and evictions for what many say is no more than passionate supporting.



    It is becoming ridiculous now. There is more if anyone would like to click on link.

  17. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
  18. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    39,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    AFL is becoming unbearable. The sooner Gilligan and Hocking are sacked the better.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  19. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    Might get a fan revolt and people won’t go.
    Other sports around competing against the AFL, might just help them sports.
    It seriously is stupid IMO.
    Bring back the biff

  20. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    north-west willy
    Posts
    887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Because that particular word has negative connotations and is often used in a pejorative manner? If you really need to differentiate (and I don't see what somebody's sexuality has to do with their ability to umpire or play the game-The boundary umpire Graeme Carbery managed perfectly well until Phil Carmen headbutted him and then chose to out him in the press.) then why not use the words gay or queer which is what they chose to call themselves?

    If you really want to understand then Google the name Ian Roberts (Rugby League) and read a little about his story to get a different view of the situation.
    Well said Td. As for the ape reference ... nah can't be bothered. Let's get the thread back on track.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •