Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  39

View Poll Results: Should fans be ejected for sledging umpires?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes kick them out. Support our umpires

2 6.45%
  • Sledging umpires is a great tradition!

13 41.94%
  • Warning given to fans before ejection

16 51.61%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should fans be ejected for calling umpires names?

China has a new social credit system ' sesame points', coming in next year. If you post or repost something that praises the government or a government approved article you gain points. If you do the opposite you lose points. These points go towards getting things like a travel visa.

Don't think Australia is immune to this type of use of technology, and the roving use of ' behavioural awareness officers' staff at games is just the start. Eventually you will pay for your ticket with your phone and alerts on certain fans will be triggered up in the security office.

BUT! then again if I had kids and wanted to take them to the footy, I would probably be in favor of having these people at games.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 16-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    China has a new social credit system ' sesame points', coming in next year. If you post or repost something that praises the government or a government approved article you gain points. If you do the opposite you lose points. These points go towards getting things like a travel visa.

Don't think Australia is immune to this type of use of technology, and the roving use of ' behavioural awareness officers' staff at games is just the start. Eventually you will pay for your ticket with your phone and alerts on certain fans will be triggered up in the security office.
    And we can be sure that the AFeL won't *!*!*!*! that up.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Today the media were blowing up a story about a brawl, after the Dogs vs Blues game. The film accompanying the article showed only Richmond supporters, with no reference to the fact that this brawl was not at our game, but was included as an illustration.

However I was appalled to see security guards "patrolling" the aisles and walkways, clearly trying to control the crowd by intimidation, when there was no sign of anything other than the usual barracking. Personally I think Blues fans should be thrown out for being unbelievable whingers.... but that's another story.

But that's not a good look for our game, and to my mind totally unnecessary. Obviously the powers that be never stood in the outer at Victoria Park back in the 60's, or in the darkened crowd areas of the Lakeside Oval in the night Premiership games of long ago. Crowds these days are angels compared to that era.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the guys I work with (a pain in the neck Carlton Supporter) has written to the AFL this morning complaining about Libba at the end of the game when he was doing cry baby eyes to the Carlton supporters. He also had a whinge about the umpiring.
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Max469 View Post
    One of the guys I work with (a pain in the neck Carlton Supporter) has written to the AFL this morning complaining about Libba at the end of the game when he was doing cry baby eyes to the Carlton supporters. He also had a whinge about the umpiring.
    I love Libba's, father and son.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

6. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't surprise me if Libba copped a warning for it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I love Libba's, father and son.
    Me too
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Me neither. They will probably do something. It is not going to go away.

I am sure I will hear all about it at work tomorrow.
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't surprise me. It doesn't make it right though. Since the '90s the AFeL have always had one set of rules for people called Liberatore and another set of rules for everyone else. If you think it doesn't then where is Tony's apology for all the booing he had to put with during his career, now that we are handing apologies out retrospectively?

11. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Westdog54 would know better than I. But back in the day, police were required to walk up and down the isles every ten minutes of a quarter. Just as a gentle reminder of police presence both to deter antisocial behaviour and reinforce safety for attendees be it from other fans or something much, much worse (if it ever happened, touch wood it doesn't).

I know from many years ago stadium management hated the police as they cost a lot more money than hiring security guards. If they were using the security guards in the same fashion above, then the practice has been going on for decades and no one has really noticed in the media. Therefore, nothing really in it. The issue is, there's been no explanation who has been driving this and what their motives are. Hopefully the press can find this out ASAP.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Westdog54 would know better than I. But back in the day, police were required to walk up and down the isles every ten minutes of a quarter. Just as a gentle reminder of police presence both to deter antisocial behaviour and reinforce safety for attendees be it from other fans or something much, much worse (if it ever happened, touch wood it doesn't).

I know from many years ago stadium management hated the police as they cost a lot more money than hiring security guards. If they were using the security guards in the same fashion above, then the practice has been going on for decades and no one has really noticed in the media. Therefore, nothing really in it. The issue is, there's been no explanation who has been driving this and what their motives are. Hopefully the press can find this out ASAP.
    I think the point is that coppers are professionals and know how to be there without really being seen to be there or drawing attention to themselves and calm situations before/when they arise whereas the cowboy security guards with the benefit of a fortnight's training storm up and down the aisles like brownshirts leering at people and looking like they are more interested in starting fights instead of preventing them.

So yep the security guards may save the AFeL a few pennys when you first look at the balance sheet but they cost pounds in people deciding not to go to the game or when they sue Gil for acting like a dill. After all it's not like Gil is going to pay any damages out of his own pocket, that money will come from the AFeL's bottom line.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprise no, but I would be pissed off yes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What a sook.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Therefore, nothing really in it. The issue is, there's been no explanation who has been driving this and what their motives are. Hopefully the press can find this out ASAP.
    'We've gone too far': Marvel Stadium to review security measures

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone noticed how nobody's talking about how shit the game is to watch and how the rule changes have done bollocks to solve that issue?

Funny how these things tend to pop up when the AFL is under a huge amount of scrutiny over the quality of the product itself.

The article posted on the previous page tells me this is a genuine attempt at distraction and a patsy fan was selected for sacrifice with Gill being the arrogant twat that he is believing the fan wouldn't fight back.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.