Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Woofer’s football career

I have written about 80 pages of footy stories over the years from playing junior football to about 6 years of senior football

I'll see what I can share
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Bulldog4life, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tottenham North primary school
    1976 U13 crossroads
    1977 U15 Sunshine
    Then braybrook CYC.
    Seniors were FIT ammos , Kensington and sunshine VRI in the railway Comp.
    West Footscray in the FDL, retired at 27 due to marriage, mortgage, kids.
    Have a lot of friends who I played with,went to school with and lived with that played at the bulldogs.
    My claim to fame was wearing the big V against Sth Australia in a railways representative team, stupid me swapped jumpers at the end of the game and I’m stuck with an SA jumper to this day.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Whats super rules like to play? I'm not so worried about contact but is it very quick? I don't care about pain but I don't want to look an idiot chasing someone who is twice as quick..

I remember that, the bloody ball just wouldn't sit for me and by the time it did I'd lost track of which foot I was putting in front of the other. By the time I had remembered the ground was coming at me. I've spilled blood on both sides of the fence!

Don't forget MJP. Usually he was the only half decent player we had. And Raw Toast and Mantis. Sorry if I have forgotten any of the teammates from back then. There were quite a few posters that came down and played-too many to mention-it would have been well into double figures.

That Rec Footy was lots of fun to play, even when it was all I could do to block an opponent's run at the ball by strategically falling over in front of them. After I did it to that guy in the navy team a couple of times he rag dolled me in a tackle (he'd warned me he would do something if I got in his way again) and got the opportunity right in front of the Whitten stand. He grabbed me by the arm and was literally swinging me above his head when he remembered it was non-contact and said "oh shit sorry mate I forgot" when that umpire who looked like Yahoo Serious called him out. It's just occurred to me that I don't know if he was talking to the umpire or me.
    I don't remember the Yahoo Serious umpire.

I remember the Legionnaire Hat umpire, the Napoleon Dynamite umpire, the older umpire who was the only one who actually seemed to know all the rules and was happy to talk to players through the game, but I don't remember Yahoo Serious.

We also had a 15yo kid (who found us through BigFooty back in the day), that managed to spook Adrian Anderson into dropping a simple chest mark. He made a few of us a bit angry that night, did the then AFL Operations Manager.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats super rules like to play? I'm not so worried about contact but is it very quick? I don't care about pain but I don't want to look an idiot chasing someone who is twice as quick..
    I'm still reasonably quick and you get guys straight from senior footy in their mid to late 30s that still have some toe, but most players don't have much zip. A team with good skills and ball movement can look quick though and make the opposition look slow.

Our club also has over 45s and over 50s, leg speed diminishes fairly quickly in those comps.

Obviously people still get hurt occasionally being a contact sport and all but most blokes are pretty sensible about not smashing each other. There are also a couple of modified rules that help (no knees up in marking and ruck contests, no slinging players in tackles).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I don't remember the Yahoo Serious umpire.

I remember the Legionnaire Hat umpire, the Napoleon Dynamite umpire, the older umpire who was the only one who actually seemed to know all the rules and was happy to talk to players through the game, but I don't remember Yahoo Serious.

We also had a 15yo kid (who found us through BigFooty back in the day), that managed to spook Adrian Anderson into dropping a simple chest mark. He made a few of us a bit angry that night, did the then AFL Operations Manager.
    I'm thinking of Napoleon Dynamite. Adrian Anderson dropping that mark and the heavy sledging afterwards remains one of my favorite things to ever happen on a football field.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I only played mid week school footy as i was a pretty decent junior golfer, then the hospitality industry stole my weekends so that was that.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I only played mid week school footy as i was a pretty decent junior golfer, then the hospitality industry stole my weekends so that was that.
    I love going to the driving range and trying to land it in the cage on the back of the tractor the guy drives around.

9. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love going to the driving range and trying to land it in the cage on the back of the tractor the guy drives around.
    Why does that not surprise me haha
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Why does that not surprise me haha
    Maribyrnong driving range, right on the river and close to Highpoint. When we were younger a heap of us would go and try to land the ball in the back of the moving target!

The guy was virtually in a cage and I cant remember him complaining*.

*doesn't actually mean that he didn't complain. Just that I wasn't paying attention when he did.

12. Likes chef, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maribyrnong driving range, right on the river and close to Highpoint. When we were younger a heap of us would go and try to land the ball in the back of the moving target!

The guy was virtually in a cage and I cant remember him complaining*.

*doesn't actually mean that he didn't complain. Just that I wasn't paying attention when he did.
    My entire golf career involved the exact same pursuit.