Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Born and Bred

Post Thanks / Like

Born and Bred

https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/new.../born-and-bred

Born and bred
    Andrew Gigacz
    May 30, 2019 3:31PM

The cliched headline "local boy makes good" could have been written specifically for Jim Miller, a born and bred Bulldog who turns 100 today.

Miller was born in Footscray, and cut his footy teeth in the Footscray District League before being snapped up by the Bulldogs, prior to the 1938 season.

The FDL was a fertile Bulldogs breeding ground in the 1930s, producing players such as Joe Ryan, Harry Hickey and Bob Spargo Senior who, along with Miller were all part of the first Footscray team to play in a VFL final in 1938, Miller's first season at the highest level.

The Dogs fell short in that semi-final but Miller and his locally recruited teammates formed part of a core of players that helped Footscray qualify for finals again in 1942, 1944 and 1946, making the Bulldogs the most successful of the three sides (the others being Hawthorn and North Melbourne) that had joined the VFL in 1925.

Miller gave the Dogs fine service over 131 games in 11 years, a figure that would have been significantly higher if not for the disruption of war.

Miller served in both the Army and the RAAF during World War II (he played several games for South Sydney when he was posted to NSW while in service).

Jim Miller played out the twilight of his on-field career as captain-coach of Yarraville in the VFA before a leg injury brought his playing days to an end in 1949.

Having earned life membership of the Footscray Football Club in 1947, Miller continued to be a great servant of the Bulldogs, firstly as a committee member from 1957, and then as President from 1963 to 1966. He was club Vice President when the Bulldogs made their second Grand Final appearance in 1961.

Nominated by Mark Buttler and Steven Milne as one of the Dogs' top 50 players in their 1994 book, "Sons of the 'Scray: Footscray's Finest 50", the Western Bulldogs are proud to acknowledge Jim Miller as one of the club's greats on the occasion of his 100th birthday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Likes WBFC4FFC, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Born and Bred

Well done Jim. 100 years! Huge!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks Twodogs, Remi Moses, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez he looks fit and wiry for a hundred year old! He looks like he could pull the boots on this weekend if we needed him to play. He's taller than Caleb Daniel too. Bevo would have him in the ruck at the first bounce.

I hope I look that good when I raise my bat to the crowd.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Far out, he's been a life member for 72 years!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I hope I look that good when I raise my bat to the crowd.
    It's not that far off is it Twodogs?

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's not that far off is it Twodogs?
    Let's just say that the 50 has come and gone.

They were tough old (or young) bastards back then. I looked Jim Miller up on Trove the site with the old newspapers. There is one that talksd about Miller getting kicked in the face so hard in a game against Richmond in 1945 that he swallowed half his dentures!

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Let's just say that the 50 has come and gone.

They were tough old (or young) bastards back then. I looked Jim Miller up on Trove the site with the old newspapers. There is one that talksd about Miller getting kicked in the face so hard in a game against Richmond in 1945 that he swallowed half his dentures!
    Haha. Why on earth would you play with dentures in? Was it because he liked to look his best or was it in case he felt the need to bite someone?

Post Thanks / Like

Haha. Why on earth would you play with dentures in? Was it because he liked to look his best or was it in case he felt the need to bite someone?
    Not a good sign when your in your 20-30s and already got dentures.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Not a good sign when your in your 20-30s and already got dentures.
    In those days it was very common for young people to have dentures. Don't ask me why but I do know it was common.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    In those days it was very common for young people to have dentures. Don't ask me why but I do know it was common.
    Coming through the depression and the war, i'm not sure that everyone had toothbrushes. As for visits to the dentist....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Back in the day it cost real money to keep your natural teeth. Everyone kind of accepted that you would loose them sooner or later, so why not get it over with. It was also before the days of fluoride in the water supply system, so decay was rife.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Mum lost her natural teeth at the age of 13 in 1953. They just replaced them with dentures at the first sign of trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly bite that bastard who kicked you in the face!