Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  107
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Carlton R13 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Those that have given up have walked away, and to the club’s loss.

Those who have stayed and are pointing out the problems are doing the club a favour.

All football clubs have to fight for the attention of non-supporters if they are to thrive these days. Success brings sponsors and the high exposure games. It is not simply about kicking a footy for 100 minutes any more. It is about survival.

Fortunately I don’t see a repeat of 1989 on the horizon, but that wasn’t long ago.
    Carlton have won 4 or 5 games in the last 40, yet 35,000 still show up to games. Think about that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    And here is the crux of the issue. This certainly feels like the clubs pov on the matter: Nothing to see here, it's finished, let's move on, aren't we exciting? .
    Sorry mate love your points of view, but this I can't agree with. How can it be the crux of the issue - don't get it??????? Clubs point of view - I doubt it very much. Nothing to see here - yeah pull the other one. Disappointed in the last 2.5 years - of course, but I will keep supporting the club.

I guess, I just get sick of reading the same thing over and over about the last 2/3 years going over the same old ground, and that is why I said it's finished. I can moan and groan for ever about it, but what is the point. Of course I am disappointed by the on field results since 2016, like everyone else I wanted on going success, because after following the club for so long, I am not satisfied with two premierships. However, I can also see we have lots of talent, and I am looking forward to the current young bunch developing and becoming good footballers.

Like in other threads, I am not going to comment anymore about the last 2.5 years. I am going to look to the future.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadsgirl16 View Post
    Not sure I can articulate this but here goes...Being 60 something I always said ( before2016 ) being a Bulldog member was good for the soul and I honestly thought I would never ever see a premiership so when that dream came true ..well we all know the feeling
    I cannot fathom some of the posts on here...sorry just don’t get it but that’s just me
    Totally agree.
    Is there some merit in defining what success means for the individual. I see success mentioned all the time, no success mainly. However for me individually and I speak for no one but myself; it's not just winning games.
    It could be moments within the game, it could be watching a first year player doing the extraordinary, it could be no queue at the pie line.
    Maybe it's being through the awful 80s in my formative years, I needed to search for alternate versions of success. Probably not a bad exercise to define what it means for you. Totally get the winning games, it's the ultimate; I find joy in the little sub wins along the way also so for me it's not black and white.
    This week it was definitely Tim English's towering marks against Carlton, win or lose the game they're still amazing wins for me.

5. Thanks dadsgirl16 thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Totally agree.
    Is there some merit in defining what success means for the individual. I see success mentioned all the time, no success mainly. However for me individually and I speak for no one but myself; it's not just winning games.
    It could be moments within the game, it could be watching a first year player doing the extraordinary, it could be no queue at the pie line.
    Maybe it's being through the awful 80s in my formative years, I needed to search for alternate versions of success. Probably not a bad exercise to define what it means for you. Totally get the winning games, it's the ultimate; I find joy in the little sub wins along the way also so for me it's not black and white.
    This week it was definitely Tim English's towering marks against Carlton, win or lose the game they're still amazing wins for me.
    I agree. Sydney fans must be pretty pleased with the culture of their club. Geelong similar. You can never really rule these teams out. Both have had significant financial advantages over the journey, I know that. But Sydney in particular can take average players and make them much better. They entertain are always in for the fight. That should be our goal. in 2016 we showed that at enough moments to get it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

7. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at it this way you could be a St. Kilda fan or even a Melbourne fan. We've had more success in the last 12 years than most clubs. Maybe I'm desensitized by standing on the Geelong Road hill through the late 70s and early 80s and the new crop of supporters have higher demands / expectations and are perhaps less patience and are less forgiving but I am optimistic about by that piece-meal demolition against Richmond a month ago as well as the mentally exhausting come from behind win against the Hawks.

We are in the bottom 4 youngest sides in the AFL and that's including a 36 year old bloke who's not currently playing. As I've mentioned previously things turn around very quickly, especially when you have the young talent that we do.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Totally agree.
    I can remember my son being OS with his mum when Bontempelli kicked that goal over his shoulder against Melbourne in his second or third game. I just wrote 'how good is this, the kid can play' with no mention of whether we won or not, in fact I still can't remember if we won that game or not, but I do remember the Bont and him kicking a goal from the boundary line over his shoulder with half the Melbourne defence trying to stop him.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's the line between being grateful for moments and victories small and large, and being content with less than sustained success?

It's possible to entertain both concepts simultaneously.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, who would have predicted that this thread would turn so philosophical?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Wow, who would have predicted that this thread would turn so philosophical?
    Ha. We, as Bulldogs, need to be practising stoicism.

As Marcus Aurelius once said at a Bulldogs function : If it's endurable then endure it, stop complaining.

16. Likes dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Carlton have won 4 or 5 games in the last 40, yet 35,000 still show up to games. Think about that.
    The Carlton strength has not been generated recently. They have not found lots of new members. What you see is a group of who adopted the club a generation ago. That is the benefit of having a successful era.

Richmond did it too.

The Dogs are tens of thousands of members behind where they would have been if they had been successful then. That’s why success Now is important.

Although I think the club is safe, until the league decides Melbourne is too small for so many clubs.

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    The Carlton strength has not been generated recently. They have not found lots of new members. What you see is a group of who adopted the club a generation ago. That is the benefit of having a successful era.

Richmond did it too.

The Dogs are tens of thousands of members behind where they would have been if they had been successful then. That’s why success Now is important.

Although I think the club is safe, until the league decides Melbourne is too small for so many clubs.

Think about it.
    What I am saying is it is not just on field success, there is more to it.

What I mean about Carlton is they have had no success for many years, but the members stick with the club. Of course on going success means you can add more members, the trick is to keep them when you are down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What I am saying is it is not just on field success, there is more to it.

What I mean about Carlton is they have had no success for many years, but the members stick with the club. Of course on going success means you can add more members, the trick is to keep them when you are down.
    I agree with that.

I would add that long periods of success probably result in members sticking longer during the less successful years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Don't forget Magic Maclean. Madge's form and output has improved since 2016. He's in a small club though.
    What? How?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    What? How?
    Was true as of last year...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can remember my son being OS with his mum when Bontempelli kicked that goal over his shoulder against Melbourne in his second or third game. I just wrote 'how good is this, the kid can play' with no mention of whether we won or not, in fact I still can't remember if we won that game or not, but I do remember the Bont and him kicking a goal from the boundary line over his shoulder with half the Melbourne defence trying to stop him.
    When the Bont kicked that goal the score were level with a minute to go from memory. That's what made it even more remarkable for a first year player.

It's a great sign that we as supporters are spitting the dummy after a disappointing performance even though we won. We used to accept mediocrity as bulldog supporters. I for one had resigned to the fact that I would never see the Dogs win a premiership before 2016. Prelims were our limit. But now that we know that the Western Bulldogs are capable of winning it we don't want to go back to accepting honourable loses.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.