Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  107
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Carlton R13 2019

No worries boys and girls. Wayne Carey tips Carlton to win. You can relax now.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    we lost the Collingwood game because of ruck and CHB.

we lost to North because of ruck.

Not criticising any player but those problems were foreseeable and should not have happened.

Team selection and structure has caused the present predicament.
    I see the logic in what you are highlighting
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I see the logic in what you are highlighting
    Maybe logic, but no solution.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe logic, but no solution.
    His solution is that a quality ruckman is the priority

Post Thanks / Like

Recruitment
    Recruitment is not the reason.

Team selection, list management decisions, players playing out of position and lack of new ideas is the reason why.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    we lost the Collingwood game because of ruck and CHB.

we lost to North because of ruck.

Not criticising any player but those problems were foreseeable and should not have happened.

Team selection and structure has caused the present predicament.
    I don't agree with the last sentence. The way it is written, we could have won the Collingwood and North game if we selected the right players. Which players?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be a smart arse, but why? Bevo doesn't rate them, and might not even play them. His phobia impacts his coaching, team selection, match day, win/loss ratio and list management. Until this gets settled I'm not sure we can or should do anything on the ruck front. Either Bevo has to go, or Bevo has to bite the bullet and admit he isn't a anti-ruck revolutionary he'd like to be seen as because it's not working and nobody is carbon copying the strategy. I personally agree we need to do something, but Bevo is not winning the battle in the coaches ranks, but he's winning over the list management team too seeing the back of Roughead & Campbell, for Jordan Sweet.

Anyway, I'm not a God fearing praying type, but I am tonight. Please just give us the strength to beat a team we should.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not to be a smart arse, but why? Bevo doesn't rate them, and might not even play them. His phobia impacts his coaching, team selection, match day, win/loss ratio and list management. Until this gets settled I'm not sure we can or should do anything on the ruck front. Either Bevo has to go, or Bevo has to bite the bullet and admit he isn't a anti-ruck revolutionary he'd like to be seen as because it's not working and nobody is carbon copying the strategy. I personally agree we need to do something, but Bevo is not winning the battle in the coaches ranks, but he's winning over the list management team too seeing the back of Roughead & Campbell, for Jordan Sweet.

Anyway, I'm not a God fearing praying type, but I am tonight. Please just give us the strength to beat a team we should.
    I guess its for Danjul to answer and Bevo to explain why he thinks we have an advantage going in with essentially an extra midfielder
    For what it's worth I think Bevo will come around with a more traditional ruck set-up

Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree with the last sentence. The way it is written, we could have won the Collingwood and North game if we selected the right players. Which players?
    Again one for Danjul to answer and explain but against the Pies I suspect he would have wanted Trengove in and for the North game another key defender might have helped Trengove assist English who was on the business end of a pants down spanking

In the two games that Danjul refers to English got less that 8 hit outs for the game. Cordy who relieved him after half time against North got 8 hit outs and was one of the players that got us back into the game. So did English as a forward.

I think it's a fair assumption that a better ruck performances might have turned in better results and maybe even a win or two

The way I'm reading it he's not bagging English but highlighting he still has a way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Recruitment

We are also unlucky to lose Clay Smith, Picken and Tom Boyd to serious injuries (mental and Physical)
    Big question marks on Boyd and Picken prior to the trading period and we chose not to bring in any insurance
    The whole club need to have a look at this and ask did they read the play that well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not to be a smart arse, but why? Bevo doesn't rate them
    Can't agree one bit with your post. Not sure why posters on this forum think Bevo is anti ruck.

He wants a ruckman like Grundy who can not only ruck but contribute more around the ground. That is why he has faith in English and why he liked Boyd playing ruck. It really is unfortunate Boyd can't play as together with English they could have been a great duo.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood game, Grundy won the hitouts 60:6 or something like that. Many put in the hands of a player running into the open. That’s what good ruckmen do, and why they’re important. Where was plan B? There wasn’t one and Grundy kept them in the game.

A couple of weeks ago we had a repeat with Goldstein.

In both cases the scenario was not selected for. We could not stop the onslaught from the stoppages because nobody had thought it could happen.

20 hitouts to advantage is the equivalent of having an extra player, and wins many matches.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't agree one bit with your post. Not sure why posters on this forum think Bevo is anti ruck.

He wants a ruckman like Grundy who can not only ruck but contribute more around the ground. That is why he has faith in English and why he liked Boyd playing ruck. It really is unfortunate Boyd can't play as together with English they could have been a great duo.
    I think it stems from having Dunkley, Bontempelli and Jong as ruck man from time to time and of course Boyd was recruited on big bucks as a key forward forward and spent a lot of time as the first ruck man

Ideally he wants a mobile ruckman like Stefan Martin or a very versatile one I suspect

Post Thanks / Like

l understand what you are saying but, when Campbell was dropped after a couple of games with high 40s hitouts and about 10 disposals it was crystal clear that Bevo doesn’t see the ruck as significant. And it’s been the team’s Achilles heel ever since.

my opinion only but Boyd was never going to be the ruckman we need. And playing there gave him bad hands as a forward. Can see the same happening with Schache.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the disagreement. But could you name all the rucks that Bevo would want from all 17 clubs? Then if they're tradable at a fair price, and what the trade would be in picks and dollars.

I'm going to guess there's not many on the list. All would be considered not tradable at their current clubs. Getting them out would be one high first rounder and something else valuable. Wages would be huge too. All in all, next to no chance of ever happening. So in effect he wants a unicorn, something that doesn't exist in reality. If that's the plan (to wish for a unicorn), god help us.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023