Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned round 13 2019 v Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was sitting near someone who was asking those very questions.
    Lipinski had a great preseason but we seemed to lose all faith after one bad game in the JLT
    Trengove should have been playing as well and I think it was the JLT game in Ballarat that stamped his card
    Lipinski was schooled in being an inside mid for the first 7 or 8 games and then took his opportunity when he got a senior game. We tried the same with Webb, who was killing it in the VFL but couldn't make the transition.

As for Trengove, should have been playing from round 1. Trengove is not a star, he is not a pretty footballer, but he gets the job done. Fixed up Harry Mckay last night, who killed us last time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    The problem with Daniel and Cordy is they are put in situations where they are not able to succeed. Daniel (my favourite player) can kick accurately over 40 metres, but that doesn’t get the ball far enough from opposition goal even with a 20 run. If the ball goes to a contest it can spill back into the 50 metre arc and the opposition gets a shot at goal. And it often does spill when we have such a short backline. We need a better plan for restarting play. We also need some other plans too.
    It is clear though that our game plan is overly focused on getting the ball in Daniel’s hands. He is a neat but far from penetrating kick. Dinky little kicks, or wheeling round a few times to find a target within his range, don’t help us. Having duryea back, and looking to Crozier more, will help because we do move it more slowly into the forward line. We rarely manufacture situations where Naughton is one out, is that due to the slow play out of defence?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

1. Winning is to be celebrated, but some on here will only be happy if we play the perfect match.
    2. English when fresh, has lots of tricks. Looking forward to him up against Grundy.
    3. Bont can be tagged out. Didn’t expect that to happen as drastically as it did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We tried the same with Webb, who was killing it in the VFL but couldn't make the transition.
    That's fairly revisionist.

Webb showed some great AFL form as a half back, started developing his midfield craft in the VFL but whenever he was promoted he'd play almost exclusively half forward. The guy spent next to no time running through the middle at AFL level.

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlton are worse than us...……..just.
    We need a key position defender as a priority.
    The AFL is in danger of gagging genuine barracking, what qualifications for such judgement did these clowns roving the aisles have ?

7. Likes Ghost Dog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We can stop a team who has a run on.

2. No we can't.

3. We need Dale Morris back playing desperately.
    Last edited by ratsmac; 16-06-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

9. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

Webb showed some great AFL form as a half back, started developing his midfield craft in the VFL but whenever he was promoted he'd play almost exclusively half forward. The guy spent next to no time running through the middle at AFL level.
    Like Dale, I can't see Webb making it. He had chances and didn't take them.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    The AFL is in danger of gagging genuine barracking, what qualifications for such judgement did these clowns roving the aisles have ?

They all have their cert III in being obnoxious and making instant judgements with no context.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

1. English will be a star

2. Naughton chases hard, constantly

3. When we really needed him, Hunter lifted.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

Couldn’t agree more. Webb brings others into the game which is a skill in itself.

He showed some talent in his early games but has not been given more than two consecutive games in the last three years. He would average 12 possessions and get a goal here and there... And then be dropped even though others had a worse game. I can remember him kicking a quarter of the teams goals in game and then being droped.

I think his main problem is having a name at the bottom of the alphabet. Too close to Roberts and Schache, not near Cordy and Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Three things you have learned round 13 2019 v Carlton.

Couldn’t agree more. Webb brings others into the game which is a skill in itself.

He showed some talent in his early games but has not been given more than two consecutive games in the last three years. He would average 12 possessions and get a goal here and there... And then be dropped even though others had a worse game. I can remember him kicking a quarter of the teams goals in game and then being droped.

I think his main problem is having a name at the bottom of the alphabet. Too close to Roberts and Schache, not near Cordy and Bevo.

Very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Like Dale, I can't see Webb making it. He had chances and didn't take them.
    webb has certainly not been given the chances afforded many other players who have not played as well. He hasn’t had more than 2 consecutive games in the last 3 years. Couldn’t get a game after best on ground performances in vfl.

We have just heard that Gardner will get another game , after 3 possessions, after a poor performance against West Coast. Wouldn’t happen to Webb.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Libba is the teams "hard man" at the coalface. He paves the way for others to clear the ball, and is instrumental in restricting the oppositions mids in close.. As soon as he went off Carlton began to halve the clearances, whereas up until then we were killing them.

2. Bont draws opposition players to him, we need to exploit our resulting "free" players better. Particularly in the forward line.

3. Sunday replays are great. To all our disgruntled supporters I suggest you watch the game again, without the stress and emotion of a real time game. You will see things you never notice live, and appreciate our players efforts so much more.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

17. Likes GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, bornadog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    1. Libba is the teams "hard man" at the coalface. He paves the way for others to clear the ball, and is instrumental in restricting the oppositions mids in close.. As soon as he went off Carlton began to halve the clearances, whereas up until then we were killing them.

2. Bont draws opposition players to him, we need to exploit our resulting "free" players better. Particularly in the forward line.

3. Sunday replays are great. To all our disgruntled supporters I suggest you watch the game again, without the stress and emotion of a real time game. You will see things you never notice live, and appreciate our players efforts so much more.
    Anyone who thinks that the players weren't putting in should have a look at how many of our blokes were flat out after the siren blew to end the game. I make a point of counting how many players are on their haunches or plain old laying on the ground at the end of a game and I havent counted that many for a long time.

Carlton threw everything they had to hand at us (yes, including the kitchen sink) and we came out of top.

Post Thanks / Like

webb has certainly not been given the chances afforded many other players who have not played as well. He hasn’t had more than 2 consecutive games in the last 3 years. Couldn’t get a game after best on ground performances in vfl.

We have just heard that Gardner will get another game , after 3 possessions, after a poor performance against West Coast. Wouldn’t happen to Webb.
    He has played 24 games and only averaged 11 disposals a game.