Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  34
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned round 13 2019 v Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    ... if there is an option.

There are times he has to hold the ball as there are no options. Simply blazing away in the modern game means a turnover which is the no 1 source for scores.
    At times we need harder working players up the ground, which is why I am a little mystified by Gardner automatically getting another game.
    Forget his stats, how many contests did he get to? How many leads did he create? For mine that is the worrying element of his game, not being brushed aside by Casbault easily for just getting 3 touches. Being a KPF is a tough gig (especially early in your career) but is his actual effort and effect enough? He hasn't even played as a full time forward at VFL level.
    Gardner needs more time in the VFL and also needs to build up his strength. I would be dropping him this week to work on his fitness and strength and also setting him up for one role, ie either back or forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned round 13 2019 v Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gardner needs more time in the VFL and also needs to build up his strength. I would be dropping him this week to work on his fitness and strength and also setting him up for one role, ie either back or forward.
    Gardner getting another game is an example of feeling the clubs messaging is very confusing. Him leapfrogging into the team and now being guaranteed another game is hard to understand unless the message is completely and only about rebuilding. It is the same with Lewis young’s prolonged stint at Footscray. Are we saying this is a long view, through which he will come through a better player a la Lipinski. How does it all square with a cameo from out of favour Fletcher Roberts? It just feels all over the shop as to whether we are about ... win every game possible now... or blooding and developing a list for the future.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic