Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 13, 2019, vs Carlton

This is the round 13, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankerand Anchors: Rnd 13, 2019, vs Carlton

B

Bonts
    Suckers
    Dunkley
    Those posters for Carlton in the third and last

A

Dale
    Gardner
    Daniel brain fades and bad turnovers
    Giving Carlton their 2nd 100+ score in 100 games. We are like really, really good at this.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 13, 2019, vs Carlton

Bankers

1. Suckling great goal in the third from the boundary line, 50 metres out on wrong side.
    2. Tim English big mark in the last and goal.
    3. Dunkley, the boy is a beast - 41 disposals and a goal of the year contender.

Anchors

1. I have never seen so many free kicks given to forwards in all my time going to the footy. 95% were just tiggy touchwood.
    2. Libba injury - hopefully he is not out too long
    3. Me - we won, but I felt flat when the siren went. Actually relieved as well, because we didn't lose to a club I despise.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    Dunkley: playing consistent great footy
    English: continues to show improvement. Really showed great skills
    tonight
    Macrae: this bloke is a superstar that doesn’t get the recognition he deserves

Anchors:
    Gardner: Sorry, just not good enough
    Cordy: Pantsed tonight. Every flaw in his game was on display
    Dale: just filling a jumper for three weeks now.

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Dunks - midfield beast- let's acknowledge that and make that his permanent role
    English - let's get a 5 year contract in front of him ASAP
    Suckers- we lose tonight without your contribution, and that isn't good.... but thank goodness anyway

Anchors
    Gardner -- AFL to VFL is quite a significant difference.
    Smith - you do belong at this level, use your foot more often
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 16-06-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dunkley was immense.
    2. The English - Bont combination work early on was quite wonderful. Poetry.
    3. We won. And lately that doesn’t happen too much, and it’s a helluva lot better than the alternative, especially against that mob.

Special mention: Bailey Smith’s superb goal. Calm under pressure.

A:
    1. Where was the leadership the 2 times Carlton got a run on? How did they get a run on so easily each time?
    2. I do not like Caleb Daniel on the Mark. I do not like Caleb Daniel doing the kick outs- we so rarely get momentum from them. And I don’t like his regulation two or three turnovers per game.
    3. I’m so disappointed in The Other Two Baileys. I can no longer see B Dale making it. And there is a big question mark about B Williams, though I see more in him than Dale, who has regressed badly.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    -Bont and Dunks - a dynamic duo
    -Timmy English - after being wrecked by Kruzer last time, it took some real guts to go out and play the way he did
    -Lipinksi - a huge step forward. He's real cementing himself in our midfield.

Anchors:
    -Not sure Bailey Williams did anything right tonight. His last quarter nearly cost us
    -Bailey Dale - invisible. His time is looking short
    -Zaine - he doesn't get a heap of help back there, but you've had a dirty night when 7 are kicked on you

Post Thanks / Like

B1 Dunkley's work in the guts. He has really stepped up a notch. Hard as nails.
    B2 The Bonts work behind the ball. Does it all.
    B3 English mark in the last.

A1 Gardner, not up to it. Play Shache please.
    A2 Williams' turn over on the HBF, kicked it over JJ's head. Awful error, really hurt us.
    A3 The definitive, decisiveness with which we lose a clean hit out and centre clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

B- Bont and English combining in the first half was beautiful to watch.
    B- Dunkley had a belter if a game tonight. Worked hard at the coal face.
    B- Suckers ran his guts out

A- umpires once again. Gave Curnow his first three goals. One of them he had no idea it was even his. Now he’s a hero for kicking 7
    A- people giving Cordy a hard time. Tries his guts out with very little help. ( as above )
    A-Our coaching staff need to be a bit harder on the boys. Need a little of the Clarko toughness other wise we just cruise through another season with such great potential but nothing out of it.
    Last edited by S Coast Simon; 16-06-2019 at 08:11 AM.

12. Likes Ghost Dog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post

A- umpires once again. Gave Curnow his first three goals. One of them he had no idea it was his. Now he’s a hero for kicking 7
    A- people giving Cordy a hard time. Tries his guts out with very little help.
    A-Our coaching staff need to be a bit harder on the boys. Need a little of the Clarko toughness other wise we just cruise through another season with such great potential but nothing out of it.
    Who does he need help from?

Curnow should be a good match-up for Cordy, but he didn't play shoulder to shoulder and got caught out of position way too often... and when he did he was forced to search for him and got caught scragging.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you really asking this because you don’t know or are you just being a smartarse.

Help from rom the other defenders coming in to spoil.
    Help from the midfielders puting pressure on the kicker.
    Help from the coaches by not having to cover so much space and other players with our defensive structures

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    1) Coming up with a game plan that limited Patrick Cripps. That was a huge tick for us
    2) Tim English taking a step forward, He marked well up forward and I think he did a great job particularly early for us
    3) I have to single out Dunkley for his superb effort

Anchors:
    1) The 3rd quarter was a disaster
    2) Allowing Carlton to score a 100 points against us for the 2nd time in the season.
    3) An injury to Liberatore was a sour note for me
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post

Are you really asking this because you don’t know or are you just being a smartarse.

Help from rom the other defenders coming in to spoil.
    Help from the midfielders puting pressure on the kicker.
    Help from the coaches by not having to cover so much space and other players with our defensive structures
    He shouldnt need all this extra help tbh. Hes just not a very good AFL footballer and for some reason hes one of Bevos pets. Should make way for Le Young.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Dunkley, in particular his first quarter and his Pele goal.
    Suckling, turned the tide back to us in the third.
    English, maybe a Gary Dempsey in the making.

Anchors
    Bailey Dale and Gardner, do we want to field 16 against Collingwood next week ?
    The AFL thought police patrols.
    Cordy, courageous but seems to be getting smashed every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy NEVER drops his head or wanders about with his hand on his hips. That's what I love about him, he might get beaten in a contest but he's just as hard at it the next time it comes down.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

19. Likes Mofra liked this post