Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL 2019: Bulldogs president Peter Gordon questions uproar over increased security

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coup...e15b408ea7811b

AFL 2019: Bulldogs president Peter Gordon questions uproar over increased security

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon is backing the increased security presence at AFL games, questioning why there has been an outpouring of negative criticism towards it.

AFL chief executive officer Gillon McLachlan will front the media at 2pm to address the concerns fans have over the issue.

But speaking on morning radio, Gordon questioned what McLachlan would be apologising for, with the president sitting among the outer on Saturday night at the Western Bulldogs’ clash with Carlton.

I didn’t think that anything that was going on on the weekend generated the sense of urgency or crisis that now appears to have been built up,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“I don’t know what Gillon McLachlan’s about to apologise for.

“I was sitting in Bay 9 myself on Saturday night, three rows up from where this alleged incident occurred.

“I saw these extra security. The idea of having enhanced security is I think something that most people would support. I am curious to see what he is about to apologise for.

“I hope it’s not something that enables and emboldens the very element of the crowds that we are trying to change.”

Gordon suggested the AFL needed to “tackle the elephant in the room” regarding fan behaviour, explaining that fans weren’t entitled to do or say what they wanted, despite paying for their entry.

“You’re not entitled to do whatever you want, say whatever you want, because you have paid your money,” Gordon said.

“We do expect a higher standard. We expect higher standards from our players, from our officials, and we have got to tackle the elephant in the room, which is the crowds.

“My concern, frankly, about the AFL, is the AFL have such a customer focus, such a focus of the customer is always right, that they may not be prepared to actually see this matter through.

“But for the good of the competition we have to. You have to take a stand.

“You have to believe in something and then you have to stand for it. If we want the crowd, that sort of negative crowd behaviour to be disrupted, to be different, if we want it to be a safer place for families to take their kids and not be intimidated and not be scared, then we have to stand up at moments like this.

“And not just enable those who have been whinging about one more walk down the aisle.”
    Last edited by Eastdog; 18-06-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL 2019: Bulldogs president Peter Gordon questions uproar over increased security

Eastdog can you please tidy up the article. A lot of it is not part of the actual article.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL 2019: Bulldogs president Peter Gordon questions uproar over increased security

Well said pg.

Post Thanks / Like

Not well said PG.
    A great many security staff going around have false documents, and it's been going on for years.
    Footy fans resent being watched over by people with poor training or sensitivity to game day experience.
    If you are going to talk about higher standards, then that includes security staff. I don't actually mind what Kennet had to say about it - more the way he said it. But people without proper training should not be security staff.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Not well said PG.
    A great many security staff going around have false documents, and it's been going on for years.
    Footy fans resent being watched over by people with poor training or sensitivity to game day experience.
    If you are going to talk about higher standards, then that includes security staff. I don't actually mind what Kennet had to say about it - more the way he said it. But people without proper training should not be security staff.
    To be fair, PG didn't know they had false records
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post