Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  57
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Collingwood R14 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That just tells me you haven't been to the footy for a long time, and don't look at that stats at all. We are top two for marks inside 50. Our issue is poor kicking for goal, and defence. We leak too many goals.
    How was our stoppage and clearance work today? It might have come as a complete shock but Grundy goes alright with his stoppage work - another 50+ hitouts and 17 to advantage today, and subsequently a large clearance advantage for his team - who could have predicted it?

Grundy has 6 Brownlow votes against us in 2019, courtesy of our coaching group and their stubborn, smart ass attitude.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

We as supporters over rate our players because they play for us.
    And the coaches?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    How was our stoppage and clearance work today? It might have come as a complete shock but Grundy goes alright with his stoppage work - another 50+ hitouts and 17 to advantage today, and subsequently a large clearance advantage for his team - who could have predicted it?

Grundy has 6 Brownlow votes against us in 2019, courtesy of our coaching group and their stubborn, smart ass attitude.
    Grundy is the best ruck in the AFL - no surprise. However, normally they are our best asset.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    And the coaches?
    Who are you talking about?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are you talking about?
    The guys coaching our team?

Seems like for the third year running we'll be dropping further down the ladder and keep making the same makes over and over again.

The coaches are as much to blame as the players .
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Grundy is the best ruck in the AFL - no surprise. However, normally they are our best asset.
    Grundy got destroyed by Gawn last match. Yes he's great but we have allowed him to do as he pleases this season, and it has cost us 8 premiership points. How many more times will Bevo feed English to the wolves and cost us more matches? And how is that good for English's development?

Post Thanks / Like

Grundy got destroyed by Gawn last match. Yes he's great but we have allowed him to do as he pleases this season, and it has cost us 8 premiership points. How many more times will Bevo feed English to the wolves and cost us more matches? And how is that good for English's development?
    Who do you suggest plays that role?

8. Likes Funke disco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointed with the result obviously but we matched them very well today. Didn't feel we did too much wrong but at times our field kicking skill level was bad.

Our goal kicking is the major issue. We need to get some people down at the Whitten Oval who can teach our players basic technique in how to do it. 10.13 which is 23 scoring shots to 13.4 17 scoring shots there is the game. If we can fix that will beat more teams.

Wont be playing finals this year unless a miracle happens which is winning 8 out of our last 9 games but with not a good percentage.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Who do you suggest plays that role?
    I've suggested a few weeks previously that English lacks the ruck stoppage craft to be our #1 ruck for extended periods, and the proof this year is very much in the pudding.

IMO Trengove should be our bash and crash no 1 ruck, and English should be used no more than 5-8 mins a qtr as 2nd ruck. English is a great asset in other areas but he is getting absolutely destroyed at the stoppages this season, and it has hurt us significantly.

11. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've suggested a few weeks previously that English lacks the ruck stoppage craft to be our #1 ruck for extended periods, and the proof this year is very much in the pudding.

IMO Trengove should be our bash and crash no 1 ruck, and English should be used no more than 5-8 mins a qtr as 2nd ruck. English is a great asset in other areas but he is getting absolutely destroyed at the stoppages this season, and it has hurt us significantly.
    Whilst I agree it could work, that leaves us without an experienced backman. I don't think Roberts can hold that position, and Trengove has done so well in the backline. We need Lew Young to come good, but we are relaying on a 20 years old, and if Naughton went back, we will be relying on a 19 year old.

Post Thanks / Like

It is ok when you don't have injuries, but you need players to come in and cover and we just don't have those players.

Ruck, and a key back are a problem, this very moment. I have no doubt English will be good in the future. I would rather see Trengove helping in the ruck, but who do you put into Fullback? Roberts has been tried, Lew Young has been told to do certain things and doesn't seem to be ready. Does Naughton go back? Our Key big guys are all still very young and not mature.
    Today was a gutsy effort against one of the top teams. We were thrashed in the ruck with Grundy giving a BOG performance. Our lack of leg speed and inferior disposal continues to be major defects.On the positive side Lipinski and Bailey Smith continue to impress. Both Daniel and Dunkley continue to enjoy stand out years. Schache was a welcome return to the side today. Richards also was a welcome addition and has better skills than some of our more experienced players. Naughton continues to struggle up forward and is needed in defence. Lloyd has been a welcome addition to the team as has been Crozier. Both Macrae and Hunter continue to rack up big possessions but do not use the ball anywhere near good enough. Trengrove would provide a better contest in the ruck which may mean using Naughton and Lew Young as key defenders.

14. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Left field question but are we simply missing Monty? Just think we need that hard arse 2IC
    The short answer from my POV is yes. Yes is also the long answer. I'm not a great one for being a hard arse just for the sake of it but that skillset is something that is desperately missing from our coaching set up.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The question for me now is this: is it talent, or tactics?

We lose in the same way, under the same conditions so frequently. You could set your watch to it. The effort is there, mostly. The margin suggests we can go with teams in a stronger form line. It's something in the coaching/footy dept that isn't quite working. The whole club has the yips.

17. Likes Sedat, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Today was a gutsy effort against one of the top teams. We were thrashed in the ruck with Grundy giving a BOG performance. Our lack of leg speed and inferior disposal continues to be major defects.On the positive side Lipinski and Bailey Smith continue to impress. Both Daniel and Dunkley continue to enjoy stand out years. Schache was a welcome return to the side today. Richards also was a welcome addition and has better skills than some of our more experienced players. Naughton continues to struggle up forward and is needed in defence. Lloyd has been a welcome addition to the team as has been Crozier. Both Macrae and Hunter continue to rack up big possessions but do not use the ball anywhere near good enough. Trengrove would provide a better contest in the ruck which may mean using Naughton and Lew Young as key defenders.
    Completely agree.

English seemed to have trouble moving freely, is his leg injury not healing properly? If that’s the case we need to plan future ruck play very carefully.

19. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is ok when you don't have injuries, but you need players to come in and cover and we just don't have those players.

Ruck, and a key back are a problem, this very moment. I have no doubt English will be good in the future. I would rather see Trengove helping in the ruck, but who do you put into Fullback? Roberts has been tried, Lew Young has been told to do certain things and doesn't seem to be ready. Does Naughton go back? Our Key big guys are all still very young and not mature.
    And yet you were very confident we had enough ruckman and KP players during the draft and trade period and were strong on that point all preseason. When the depth gets tested as it was always likely to happen at some point then it's an issue because of injuries and development.
    We seem to fall back on the fact we don't have the cattle after a loss but when we are setting up the list we've rung the right changes.
    I don't get it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

21. Likes Sedat liked this post