Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 3 things you have learned Rd 14 2019 v Collingwood.

So tell us three things that you learned today. That you didn't know yesterday. Or even this morning. Or earlier this afternoon come to that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned round 14 2019 v Collingwood.

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. When I thought our lack of professionalism with goal kicking couldn't get worse, we lost by 9 points and had 6 more scoring shots. No one seems to care except the members, or if it's part of a coaches job description then why do they have a job.

2. Sometime this week I need to update my excel spreadsheet 'the case of too cute by half with roles: don't do this again'. 'Williams as a forward' and 'Hunter starting inside the square'.

3. I didn't learn it, but Schache can play so maybe just select him and not 'decoy' forwards. Naughton averages 1.3 goals a game this year. Schache averages 1.6 goals a game this year. He's doing ok considering he has to relief ruck as well.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 23-06-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Why bother playing Naughton one out when you have no intention of kicking it to him
    2. This game was lost at selection. Would have been nice having a player like Toby up forward or does he have too many football "smarts"
    3. Dickson is cooked and has been for the past 2 years and Roarke Smith was never up to it yet Bevo keeps playing him.

Post Thanks / Like

1. The players and the coaches don't care about the little things like goalkicking.
    2. We could do with working on our goalkicking
    3. I am better at and I take my goalkicking more seriously than an entire list of AFL footballers. Who would have thunk it?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes S Coast Simon, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt learn anything new, same old same old.
    The curse is dead.

9. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, macca, AshMac, craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The supporters have had a gutful of the lack of attention to goalkicking by the coaching staff. If this can't be addressed then lets get a coaching staff who actually care.
    2. The mids have had a gutful of getting the ball forward and seeing points kicked.
    3. The backs have had a gutful of defending and seeing us kick points at the other end.

11. Likes azabob, Eastdog, josie, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Jac Mac for all of his other great attributes is still dead afraid of having a shot at goal when the opportunity presents
    2. Pat Lipinski can be a good link-up midfielder at AFL level
    3. Bailey Williams might be the most frustrating player on our list
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

13. Likes Funke disco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things you have learned Rd 14 2019 v Collingwood.

1. Didn’t mind Roarke Smiths game. He is raw and made a few mistakes but also did some good things. Can see what Bevo sees in him.
    2. Williams forward was interesting. Did some good things. I like how we experiment with certain players. Can see why supporters get frustrated, however give our list inadequacy it is important to see what our players can offer.
    3. Again we can take it to the best teams but can’t get over the line due to our kicking for goal inadequacies.

15. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, 1eyedog, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    1. The supporters have had a gutful of the lack of attention to goalkicking by the coaching staff. If this can't be addressed then lets get a coaching staff who actually care.
    2. The mids have had a gutful of getting the ball forward and seeing points kicked.
    3. The backs have had a gutful of defending and seeing us kick points at the other end.
    I can tell you now, no teams practise goal kicking. I heard Bucks talk about it early in the season, and there is NO skills training these days. Training consists of strategy, game plan, setting up plays etc.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can tell you now, no teams practise goal kicking. I heard Bucks talk about it early in the season, and there is NO skills training these days. Training consists of strategy, game plan, setting up plays etc.
    We still practice it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We still practice it.
    We need to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things you have learned Rd 14 2019 v Collingwood.

For the first time i watched Schache today & believed this kid might make it. Easily his best game of his career. I was pleasantly surprised by his game today, keep it up young fella!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We still practice it.
    Yes but it never seems structured at training it's always just a group of players having shots. Almost betting on kicks and laughing. It's not serious. Ask Jack Riewoldt or Brendon Fevola what serious goal kicking is.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    1. When I thought our lack of professionalism with goal kicking couldn't get worse, we lost by 9 points and had 6 more scoring shots. No one seems to care except the members, or if it's part of a coaches job description then why do they have a job.

2. Sometime this week I need to update my excel spreadsheet 'the case of too cute by half with roles: don't do this again'. 'Williams as a forward' and 'Hunter starting inside the square'.

3. I didn't learn it, but Schache can play so maybe just select him and not 'decoy' forwards. Naughton averages 1.3 goals a game this year. Schache averages 1.6 goals a game this year. He's doing ok considering he has to relief ruck as well.
    BT, you would have observed that I have been very critical of Bevo's use of players/positioning this year - but I didn't have a problem with either of those two today. With Libba and Wally out, and Bailey Smith having shouldered a big workload inside this season, I thought it was very reasonable of Bevo to play Hunter inside mid for a lot of the game. He's turned to one of his most experienced players who can win a lot of footy, to do a job in the absence of some other experience players. And Hunter went pretty well.
    On Bailey Williams - given we have so many half back flanker types, not everyone could be there today - and I actually thought Williams competed well forward.

So, I would say that over the whole season - I'm with you on the 'too smart by half' - but on today, I thought they came in with a plan that could win them the game, and it was only really poor conversion that got in the way. Probably the best Bevo has coached for a couple of months - so I have to give credit where due.

Completely agree on your goal kicking and Schache points.