Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  43
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our game plan / style / tactics are solid

just going back to our game plan.

Read an article on fox footy about Port Adelaide - there is a nice summary of thier shifting game plan over last last 4 years.

Here it is:

PORT’S SHIFTING GAME STYLE

2016: Fast and direct

2017: Strong forward half press

2018: Slow and controlled

2019: Fast, corridor and strong press

I’m wondering for the more astute observers of the game, how would you describe our game plan in 2019?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I see what danjul is saying. The ruck is an ongoing issue for us - there’s no disputing that, particularly against strong first rucks. The best we can hope for most weeks is to break even.

I don’t like Schache going into the ruck just like I didnt like Boyd rucking as much as he did. Schache in particular is no ruck; if he needs to get into the game he should play as a high forward but rucking him doesn’t achieve much.

Naughton can play anywhere with his leap but putting him in the ruck to get smashed around is a poor long term move. Simply must play FF or CHB.

We don’t have the answer yet - can we recruit a first ruck and use English more forward or can we recruit a second ruck who plays multiple positions? The former seems a more likely option.

At some stage this year we should give Sweet a taste though - despite how far off he may be - he needs to find out what it takes at AFl level and we need to find out how far off he actually is.
    Is that pretty much Trengove? Unless the idea isn’t to get a more Westoff type or a Jarred Brennan type with a huge leap?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Is that pretty much Trengove? Unless the idea isn’t to get a more Westoff type or a Jarred Brennan type with a huge leap?
    Trengove spent most of pre-season as a ruck, not a defender.
    The plan was to share ruck duties with the club reportedly 'excited' by what English could show forward (repeating a pre-season fluff piece).

Given the plans we abandoned during the JLT (a repeat from last year) I'm starting to think Bevo is a great match day and intra-season coach, but not as good pre-season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Trengove spent most of pre-season as a ruck, not a defender.
    The plan was to share ruck duties with the club reportedly 'excited' by what English could show forward (repeating a pre-season fluff piece).

Given the plans we abandoned during the JLT (a repeat from last year) I'm starting to think Bevo is a great match day and intra-season coach, but not as good pre-season.
    Trengove couldn’t get a game at the start of the season.

The match day plan was:

backline - Cordy and some little blokes.
    ruck - English and some little blokes.
    forward - Schache and some little blokes.

If anything goes wrong use Naughton.

I don’t think this justifies use of the word GREAT. The plan hasn’t improved much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

I don’t think this justifies use of the word GREAT. The plan hasn’t improved much.
    And yet here we are with 3 wins from our last 4, beating 5th and 1st in the past 2 weeks.

Our game plan must be doing pretty well

6. Likes Eastdog, Bulldog4life, bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    And yet here we are with 3 wins from our last 4, beating 5th and 1st in the past 2 weeks.

We need more hit outs though
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We need more hit outs though
    I would like to see Sweet as our tap ruck and English as around the ground or up forward.
    Sweet did his ankle today though at the end of the Third quarter or I think he would have been pushing , two great games in a row.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

When everyone plays with intensity and we cover defencively our game plan hides our clear personnel deficiencies.

The problem is it's hard to bring every week, though we seem to have hit a good patch over the last few weeks. However, when you have the under developed key position format that we have it's going to result in some inconsistent output game to game. Let's enjoy it when it's good, and maybe not be so bloody rabid when it isn't.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Winning cures plenty of ailments, goals too.

There is enough talent in the 22 to produce those type of results, we are entirely capable on our day. Can we have enough days? I'm not as certain as I was in 15/16.

Selection seems to be settling down and offering continuity. I dare say Bevo has as close to his preferred side out there in the past 3 weeks as he has since the flag. Less bat shit crazy deployment of certain players. His mood has shifted too, it was really noticeable last week and carried in to tonight. Something has lit a fire underneath him. It's pleasing to see, because like our squad, he has been capable of much better.

I liked that Geelong defensive press couldn't be utilised to launch a counter punch. We were pretty concise with where the ball went when they were set up behind it. Put in into fairly safe spots, with numbers at the source. The pressure on the deck and aerial efforts of Wood, English, Crozier, Shache, Naughton and Bont were really important.

we made some good tactical adjustments last night and it pulled their pants down.

13. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

The last 2 weeks have weakened my argument, and I hope the next few beat it up further.

I did hear people at the game say they thought there have improvements in the match decisions.

Williams, Lipinski and Schache, were all brought into the team for that winning streak. As many here suggested.

They, and Trengove, were missing in earlier (unnecessary) losses.

15. Likes Happy Days, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    The last 2 weeks have weakened my argument, and I hope the next few beat it up further.

I did hear people at the game say they thought there have improvements in the match decisions.

Williams, Lipinski and Schache, were all brought into the team for that winning streak. As many here suggested.

They, and Trengove, were missing in earlier (unnecessary) losses.
    The selections of Hayes, Gardner and even Lachie Young were egregious at the time and even more mind-boggling in hindsight. At least the players impacted have responded positively and improved since being demoted.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting commentary from Bevo how in the last quarter we played a 6 man forward line and it worked as it allowed Naughton and co time and space to lead into.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few weeks.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Who sees a lot of 2015 in us at the moment ? I do.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Interesting commentary from Bevo how in the last quarter we played a 6 man forward line and it worked as it allowed Naughton and co time and space to lead into.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few weeks.
    A friend chose to sit where he gets a good overview of the game. Sent this text late in the match:

Bev made some moves. 6 forwards on the last quarter. What a surprise

20. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past few weeks it seems like we've caught up with tactics this year and ditched the super-fast 2016 gameplan for a slower ball movement gameplan and it's worked.

It's amazing just how different playing styles are from just two years ago. Maintaining possession is now more important than fast transition.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers