Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our game plan / style / tactics are solid

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    If we are not going to kick it to Naughton one out, play him back and recruit a key forward next season.
    Due to Naughton's inexperience, he seems to just stand in the square, or sit behind the opposition fullback. He needs to learn to lead out and give options. There was a great example in the third quarter when Schache lead beautifully and BSmith hit hm on the chest 30 metres out. We need more of this from a Naughton.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Long way off with regards to personnel too.. some need time, others not quite up to it.
    Who are they

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The overall effort is pretty good but when I watch someone having a set shot from 30m out I am thinking, he will miss it and they usually do. It is absolute BS and a total waste of time to develop any game plan and highly motivate the players because you CANNOT win games kicking POINTS.

4. Likes Eastdog, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Due to Naughton's inexperience, he seems to just stand in the square, or sit behind the opposition fullback. He needs to learn to lead out and give options. There was a great example in the third quarter when Schache lead beautifully and BSmith hit hm on the chest 30 metres out. We need more of this from a Naughton.
    This combination should be developed as a priority.

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton did his preseason as a defender didnt he? He would have missed the leading/running patterns that the forwards learned. That and the fact he's just a kid and it's kind of understandable that he is doing the things you mention.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Naughton did his preseason as a defender didnt he? He would have missed the leading/running patterns that the forwards learned. That and the fact he's just a kid and it's kind of understandable that he is doing the things you mention.
    Yes, still only 19, and a lot to learn, but he is a beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If Schache is leading at the ball carrier he's best off staying back to split the tall defenders and to provide the second option.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Schache and Naughton need to watch how Buddy goes about it. BT mentioned a few times the other night in his commentary (Sydney V Hawthorn), when buddy's team mates are lining up for goal he's still trying to lead up and get the ball so he can be the man. He's always busy trying to be a better option. Buddy loves being the man and we need Schache and Naughton to want to be the man just like Buddy.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    And thats why we continue to languish in the bottom half of the eight for the 3rd year straight. Everyone at the club must believe "our game plan/stye/tatctics are solid and its just execution letting us down. Cant wait for 2020 it will be just our execution that will cost us again.
    Agreed. The constant exuses around kicking are frustrating as hell. As if it is a variable we cannot control.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to joining the WB, Naughton played all his football as a defender. Personally I would prefer to see him used as a key defender with Trengrove moving into the ruck. This would then allow English to play at FF and as a second ruck man. English has the skills to play forward. His lack of maturity strength and experience is a concern as our number one ruck man at this stage of his development

Post Thanks / Like

I looked out for what Naughton did and thought that generally he did the right thing. He did lead up frequently, but due to the slow manner in which we moved forward there were little spaces to lead into.

Besides, we needed him to perform two roles. One was to keep Moore accountable. Moore barely touched the footy and had no influence as an intercept defender. In part that was because of the way we brought the ball in which was slowly and avoiding bombing it long to Roughy and Moore. Secondly it was because Naughton kept him out of harms way and allowed Schache and Lloyd the room to find space and generate shots on goal.

Your example is fine, but there were moments where Naughton did the same. The key difference though is that Schache is good on the lead and weak in the aerial contest. Naughton is ok on the lead but excellent in the aerial contest. If we are going to keep one deep and have one lead up then certainly I don't expect Naughton to be the one leading.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes Mofra, bornadog, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    The overall effort is pretty good but when I watch someone having a set shot from 30m out I am thinking, he will miss it and they usually do. It is absolute BS and a total waste of time to develop any game plan and highly motivate the players because you CANNOT win games kicking POINTS.
    What good is the game plan if we cannot get the most important part of the game right which is kicking a winning score.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton will be very good but he's not a natural forward like Schache is. Richmond didnt have a key back that night remember. No Rance, no Astbury. Naughton's excellent above his head and a good pinch hitting long option up forward but he has no idea where or when to lead. He needs to go back and we need to play Schache. We also need a good medium sized forward. Darling's out if reach but Tomlinson may be gettable.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

All this hand wringing over tactics is nothing if we cannot get it through the sticks.
    It's pretty simple really. Our lack of focus in this area is going kill us again. I feel a bit depressed gah!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    I wonder whether the set shots issue we have is due to fatigue, which is a bi-product of the style of game we play and/or where the shots are being taken from (ie both angle and distance out). Only 5 times this year have we kicked more goals than points, 3 of those resulting in wins against Hawthorn 16.10, Richmond 15.9 and Carlton 15.13. The Hawthorn game is not a true reflection of our season as that last quarter was extremely rare. The Richmond game in particular we had a lot of deep entries, which Naughton capitalised on. It would be great if someone had the stats on where our set shot misses have been from, becuase I think the deeper we get into the forward 50 the better we are. Now this is not a mesmerising fact, but maybe it does hghlight where we need to improve and that's our set shots from 30 - 55. We probably dom't need stats to qualify this though do we?
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

18. Likes bornadog liked this post