Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  27
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs Member Forum

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hi Ledge, I need some time to write up.
    No worries mate , should be interesting to read some.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Great that the club streamed it. I was playing ice hockey so couldn't attend, listened in as a drove to the rink. Reckon it's a good initiative even if it was carefully managed.

Bains seems a good operator. Liked that he was not just using that diplomatic, business speak you get from people in his role. He did that too, but in between there was some frank reflection and honesty, even enough confidence to just bat away some of the stupid questions.

Bevo is a verbose mess at the moment. I agree with a fair chunk of what he was saying, but much like our team's inefficiency in front of goal, he is with his words and story telling. Shorten things up, simplify your language and remember that not every question, or response in a coaching relationship has to be super powerful and transformative. Bloke knows his stuff, I trust his ability but he's not communicating well in these spaces.

PG a good operator as always. Loved his answer re: indigenous representation and support for the question re: gender equity. Appreciated his comments re: Footscray rebranding, even if I disagree. Gently batted away, with some liberties taken, but not completely ignored, which was good.

3. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter we may not always agree with some things all the time but we cannot deny his great contribution to our club. It was great listening to Gaye Hamilton running through the club community initiatives was great to listen to. Makes me a proud member of our club and what it does in the coummity.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Most interesting fact revealed I thought was from Peter Gordon. When Cross St is realigned, the club believes our land parcel south of the oval will be worth double its current $16m valuation. Wow!

6. Likes SonofScray, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    No worries mate , should be interesting to read some.
    I will just give you some comments on the onfield questions:

1. Why no finals in past three years

Bevo started by saying it's not easy to answer in a short time but in essence due to loss of personnel since 2016. From the 2016 list we only have 20 players left of which there are 11 from premiership team. The retirements of Bob, Clay, Matty Boyd, T Boyd, Biggs, Picken has hurt the team as they had experience, plus the free agency departures for one reason or another. The team is in essence different than what we had in 2016, and the current players are developing and trying their hardest to get us back up there.

Doesn't answer all our concerns, but supporters must realise, it is a different team.

2. Assistant Coaches - Wasn't really answered the way I would have wanted as the question also asked about new assistants for next year.

Bevo said when he arrived all the assistants were on two year contracts, and those that were renewed ( I guess in 2017), were also for two years. Bevo believes in giving people some stability in their life and not signing year by year.

He did sort of hint there could be changes - I hope so.

Again, would have been good to say we are looking for a refresh, but I guess unfair to current coaches.

3. Recruitment -Drafting and trading and salary cap availability

We are definitely on the hunt for some players to come in from other clubs. Bevo stressed he is one of six on the panel that approves new players.

When PG spoke about the lack of indigenous players, I heard a hint we could try and trade for an established player that we could also use as creating an environment for other indigenous players to be enticed. Both Chad and Impey decided on Hawks due to wanting to play with Cyril and Burgoyne.

4. Goalkicking

We do practise goalkicking (GVGJR was correct). We practise on the run, different angles, set shots, snaps etc. When players miss he doesn't get stuck into them as they all know they have stuffed up. He recognises it is a big issue and they just have to keep working on it.

I said to PG before the forum, we have had the same number of shots at goal as Geelong, but kicked 201 fewer points.

I put up my hand to ask why do we leak so many goals, but time had ran out.
    Last edited by bornadog; 27-06-2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added some info
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the forum and it was a great initiative from the Club. I was disappointed the questions being asked on the facebook forum weren't being asked of the panel. And whilst I thought the questions being asked from the floor were good, better questions could have been asked.

My suggestion to the organisers, break the forum into two different sessions ... administration and football.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I really enjoyed the forum and it was a great initiative from the Club. I was disappointed the questions being asked on the facebook forum weren't being asked of the panel. And whilst I thought the questions being asked from the floor were good, better questions could have been asked.

My suggestion to the organisers, break the forum into two different sessions ... administration and football.
    The host of the forum was very good, I think she tried to spread the questions amongst onfield, redevelopment of VUWO, AFLW and Community programmes. I didn't get the feeling she was leaving out anything controversial, but I didn't see the Facebook questions. I understand some of the comments on FB were disgusting.

In the end ran out of time, but I agree it should be split up and more should be on football rather than admin.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post

I would be amazed if anything half intelligible came from Facebook. Anytime I read any Bulldogs related comments on there I instantly regret it and swear some of my brain cells lose the will to go on.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Most interesting fact revealed I thought was from Peter Gordon. When Cross St is realigned, the club believes our land parcel south of the oval will be worth double its current $16m valuation. Wow!
    Whoah! All over West Footscray and Yarraville they are redeveloping parcels of old industrial (and some parkland when they think nobody is paying attention) land. I personally wouldn't be buying a house that sits on old factory sites that have christ knows what poisons leeching up through the ground and I certainly wouldn't trust a developer to clear the site up properly either.

I wonder what the time frame is on the realignment? I googled it but the results didn't seem to have anything to do the Cross st site which I assume is out the back of where the scoreboard is and down to the old pub?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I personally wouldn't be buying a house that sits on old factory sites that have christ knows what poisons leeching up through the ground and I certainly wouldn't trust a developer to clear the site up properly either.
    Don't know what you are talking about, my bearded wife and 7 rat/human hybrid children love it here. The extra limbs I have grown sure do come in handy fighting off the mutant cats the size of small horses I encounter on a daily basis.

14. Likes chef, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoah! All over West Footscray and Yarraville they are redeveloping parcels of old industrial (and some parkland when they think nobody is paying attention) land. I personally wouldn't be buying a house that sits on old factory sites that have christ knows what poisons leeching up through the ground and I certainly wouldn't trust a developer to clear the site up properly either.

I wonder what the time frame is on the realignment? I googled it but the results didn't seem to have anything to do the Cross st site which I assume is out the back of where the scoreboard is and down to the old pub?
    The redevelopment will be over a number of stages Taking over Cross st and realigning could be over 5 years away. We will know more once they finalise it all.

16. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Don't know what you are talking about, my bearded wife and 7 rat/human hybrid children love it here. The extra limbs I have grown sure do come in handy fighting off the mutant cats the size of small horses I encounter on a daily basis.
    Bloody mutant cats. No idea where they are coming from.

The redevelopment will be over a number of stages Taking over Cross st and realigning could be over 5 years away. We will know more once they finalise it all.
    I would think that we will just sell it on to a developer.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BAD. Your one of the great woofers. I’d be getting up there now
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bloody mutant cats. No idea where they are coming from.
    Geelong
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will just give you some comments on the onfield questions:

1. Why no finals in past three years

Bevo started by saying it's not easy to answer in a short time but in essence due to loss of personnel since 2016. From the 2016 list we only have 20 players left of which there are 11 from premiership team. The retirements of Bob, Clay, Matty Boyd, T Boyd, Biggs, Picken has hurt the team as they had experience, plus the free agency departures for one reason or another. The team is in essence different than what we had in 2016, and the current players are developing and trying their hardest to get us back up there.

Doesn't answer all our concerns, but supporters must realise, it is a different team.

2. Assistant Coaches - Wasn't really answered the way I would have wanted as the question also asked about new assistants for next year.

Bevo said when he arrived all the assistants were on two year contracts, and those that were renewed ( I guess in 2017), were also for two years. Bevo believes in giving people some stability in their life and not signing year by year.

He did sort of hint there could be changes - I hope so.

Again, would have been good to say we are looking for a refresh, but I guess unfair to current coaches.

3. Recruitment -Drafting and trading and salary cap availability

We are definitely on the hunt for some players to come in from other clubs. Bevo stressed he is one of six on the panel that approves new players.

When PG spoke about the lack of indigenous players, I heard a hint we could try and trade for an established player that we could also use as creating an environment for other indigenous players to be enticed. Both Chad and Impey decided on Hawks due to wanting to play with Cyril and Burgoyne.

4. Goalkicking

We do practise goalkicking (GVGJR was correct). We practise on the run, different angles, set shots, snaps etc. When players miss he doesn't get stuck into them as they all know they have stuffed up. He recognises it is a big issue and they just have to keep working on it.

I said to PG before the forum, we have had the same number of shots at goal as Geelong, but kicked 201 fewer points.

I put up my hand to ask why do we leak so many goals, but time had ran out.
    Thanks for that BaD
    Bring back the biff

23. Thanks josie thanked for this post