Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  78
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R15 2019

What a game. One of our best wins for a long time. Loved to see our small group of fans, drenched through and smiling, fists raised in the rain. Rourke Smith, two knees, fantastic reward and a moment in his career.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Port beat Geelong, we beat Port, we beat Geelong.

4. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Port beat Geelong, we beat Port, we beat Geelong.
    Perfect
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    What a game. One of our best wins for a long time. Loved to see our small group of fans, drenched through and smiling, fists raised in the rain. Rourke Smith, two knees, fantastic reward and a moment in his career.
    There was also a bay in the Eastern stand that was probably 2/3’rdsish full. Not sure how it translated to tv, but it was loud up there!

Also, despite being undercover we still got rain whipped into our faces by the fierce winds. The last few minutes of the game the wind picked up to a mini cyclone and all the Port supporters in the bay next to us ran for the exits.

7. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    That rain hid the tears in his proud Dad’s eyes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    There was also a bay in the Eastern stand that was probably 2/3’rdsish full. Not sure how it translated to tv, but it was loud up there!

Also, despite being undercover we still got rain whipped into our faces by the fierce winds. The last few minutes of the game the wind picked up to a mini cyclone and all the Port supporters in the bay next to us ran for the exits.
    Sooks. They wouldn't reached half time at the Whitten Oval.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The weather we used to stand through at the footy ground was incredible wasn't it? Then you'd spend all of Saturday night standing in front of the Vulcan gas heater warming up again and watching the replays on the ABC and C7. And trying to read the footy record if it had dried off.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

11. Likes Grantysghost, merantau, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    How do reckon Chris or Brad Scott would've gone with having to climb up into the coaches box?

My guess is a monster tantrum. I know we romance the past, but even with modest success towards the end of the WO, going to the footy was genuinely fun. Rain, hail or rain and hail.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes merantau, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The weather we used to stand through at the footy ground was incredible wasn't it? Then you'd spend all of Saturday night standing in front of the Vulcan gas heater warming up again and watching the replays on the ABC and C7. And trying to read the footy record if it had dried off.
    You just described my childhood.

15. Likes Twodogs, Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    You just described my childhood.
    I would be very surprised if we didn't know each other IRL. We must have spent time together trudging fro one end of Whitten oval to the other following Simon Beasley back in the mid '80s

Post Thanks / Like

What was the wettest match at the Western/Whitten Oval that you went to?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    How do reckon Chris or Brad Scott would've gone with having to climb up into the coaches box?

My guess is a monster tantrum. I know we romance the past, but even with modest success towards the end of the WO, going to the footy was genuinely fun. Rain, hail or rain and hail.
    The old Can Bar walk of shame to the coaches' boxes in the Gent stand. There was a reason we would offer the visiting coach first dibs on the box over on the Gordon st wing and one was you didn't have to walk through the ferals in the Can Bar!

19. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    One game that sticks in my mind is the day we held Carlton goalless until the 27 minute mark of the last quarter. It was bitterly cold, with a biting wind and it rained incessantly.

And it wasn’t a free kick either against Super! Umpires felt sorry for Carlton. Mark Arceri kicked the goal. Winners are grinners. Losers can ...
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    What was the wettest match at the Western/Whitten Oval that you went to?
    V Essendon in the mid '80s, it rained so hard that even though we hadn't kicked a goal by 3/4 time we kicked with the tide in the last quarter and hit the front halfway through. Bloody Neil Cordy was miles away from his direct opponent and his opponent kicked the winner with a couple of minutes to go. I still think to myself in conditions like last night that everybody must have a man because of that game

22. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Growing up within a KM of Arctic Park, coupled with junior sport both Saturday and Sunday on weekends my WO experiences were limited. Most weekends I'd be able to get to listen to the Bulldogs on the radio after quarter time if I wasn't heading to Waverley to watch a game.

But Jesus did it get cold at Waverley. It was a sparse concrete mess of a ground, where you couldn't even rely on the warmth of your fellow supporters to keep you up and about because everyone was five metres away from each other on average!

On the good days it was great, kick to kick after the ground used to result in me and my brother being the last to leave, barely able to see with only service lighting left on. The Blue Coats were good in those days, they'd let you have a bit of fun. I remember the 1994 Qualifying Final, Carlton vs Geelong, and it was absolutely freezing until the game started, and then the crowd had piled in and the place just warmed up.

After a long absence my return to the WO was the game we played against the Cats that same year in round 17. The place was pretty crowded, just shy of 24K, and I took up a place with my old man and his childhood mates in the Geelong road members side pocket - where they always stood. I felt like I was at home, and returned in round 23 that same year to see us do the Dees. I feel like I missed out, but got a dose of the true WO experience in our last game in 1997 after attending more games than I had previously which I am grateful for.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

24. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post