Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  78
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R15 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    What was the wettest match at the Western/Whitten Oval that you went to?
    Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    One game that sticks in my mind is the day we held Carlton goalless until the 27 minute mark of the last quarter. It was bitterly cold, with a biting wind and it rained incessantly.

And it wasn’t a free kick either against Super! Umpires felt sorry for Carlton. Mark Arceri kicked the goal. Winners are grinners. Losers can ...
    This one ^^

Another I remember when I was a kid was against the Swans and we ended up with plenty of injuries so much that Jim Sewell had to play full forward on one leg just staying pretty much in the goal square just to field 18 players. Can't remember who won though, I just remember it was proper wet.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    This one ^^

Another I remember when I was a kid was against the Swans and we ended up with plenty of injuries so much that Jim Sewell had to play full forward on one leg just staying pretty much in the goal square just to field 18 players. Can't remember who won though, I just remember it was proper wet.
    I reckon it was Steve Wallis with the injured leg. The mad bastard kicked the sealer.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The last game at Whitten Oval was on a very cold day. I drove down from Bendigo via Daylesford and it was snowing as I went through Leonard's Hill. I used to love going to the football back then. The experience these days is too homogenized, Pasteurized and plastic wrapped for mine.

"The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there."
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

4. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I reckon it was Steve Wallis with the injured leg. The mad bastard kicked the sealer.
    I think your right. That makes more sense because I remember he doesn't normally play that position and Jim Sewell was a forward wasn't he. Wally was one tough unit. I remember half the Barkley St end where we were standing being under water that day.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs by 22 - I just have a feeling about this one.
    First goal - Bailey Smith
    BOG - The Bont to get back into Brownlow conversation!
    I'd just like to highlight this - not too far off the mark good sir!

You're Bont prediction was particularly pertinent
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

V Essendon in the mid '80s, it rained so hard that even though we hadn't kicked a goal by 3/4 time we kicked with the tide in the last quarter and hit the front halfway through. Bloody Neil Cordy was miles away from his direct opponent and his opponent kicked the winner with a couple of minutes to go. I still think to myself in conditions like last night that everybody must have a man because of that game
    Yep that is the one Td. Was it Bradbury who kicked the goal for Essendon? I was standing in the forward pocket at Geelong road end with my dad and we were super drenched. And then to lose it. AArrghh.

Post Thanks / Like

The weather we used to stand through at the footy ground was incredible wasn't it? Then you'd spend all of Saturday night standing in front of the Vulcan gas heater warming up again and watching the replays on the ABC and C7. And trying to read the footy record if it had dried off.
    Then get up the next day and rush to the newsagent to buy the pink paper. The sporting globe.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be very surprised if we didn't know each other IRL. We must have spent time together trudging fro one end of Whitten oval to the other following Simon Beasley back in the mid '80s
    Ha its possible. We used to camp under the EJ stand every week with the family. Great memories. My most vivid a wet day, must've been 10 ish somehow got in the midst of a Steve Macpherson, Doug Hawkins winning celebration I can still visualise it. They seemed like super heroes. (his son goes alright for ironically the Sun's)

Post Thanks / Like

This one ^^

Was there a game v Geelong mid 80s where choco kicked a few? Vague memory. Very wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Another one I remember is the game that Libber cemented himself in the team. It was crazy wet and he was at the bottom of every pack. I have a feeling it was against North.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Growing up within a KM of Arctic Park, coupled with junior sport both Saturday and Sunday on weekends my WO experiences were limited. Most weekends I'd be able to get to listen to the Bulldogs on the radio after quarter time if I wasn't heading to Waverley to watch a game.

But Jesus did it get cold at Waverley. It was a sparse concrete mess of a ground, where you couldn't even rely on the warmth of your fellow supporters to keep you up and about because everyone was five metres away from each other on average!

On the good days it was great, kick to kick after the ground used to result in me and my brother being the last to leave, barely able to see with only service lighting left on. The Blue Coats were good in those days, they'd let you have a bit of fun. I remember the 1994 Qualifying Final, Carlton vs Geelong, and it was absolutely freezing until the game started, and then the crowd had piled in and the place just warmed up.

After a long absence my return to the WO was the game we played against the Cats that same year in round 17. The place was pretty crowded, just shy of 24K, and I took up a place with my old man and his childhood mates in the Geelong road members side pocket - where they always stood. I felt like I was at home, and returned in round 23 that same year to see us do the Dees. I feel like I missed out, but got a dose of the true WO experience in our last game in 1997 after attending more games than I had previously which I am grateful for.
    I managed to get locked in the back of a food van with two of my cousins toward the end of the reserves match and missed part of the first quarter that day against West Coast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yep that is the one Td. Was it Bradbury who kicked the goal for Essendon? I was standing in the forward pocket at Geelong road end with my dad and we were super drenched. And then to lose it. AArrghh.
    Yep. Peter Bradbury from a Tim Watson pass. The ball had been locked in our forward line for ages then it went up the other end and there were only two players in their forward line Neil Cordy, who for some unkown reason was standing 30 metres away from the goalsqaure which was where his direct opponent was when Watson broke lose with the ball.

Not that I'm bitter about it at all.

14. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Ha its possible. We used to camp under the EJ stand every week with the family. Great memories. My most vivid a wet day, must've been 10 ish somehow got in the midst of a Steve Macpherson, Doug Hawkins winning celebration I can still visualise it. They seemed like super heroes. (his son goes alright for ironically the Sun's)
    I stood with my mates between the players race and the umpires race in front of the EJ Whitten stand for most of the 70s and all of the 1980s. However, I was missing for seasons 1992 to 1997 - working in Asia.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    One game that sticks in my mind is the day we held Carlton goalless until the 27 minute mark of the last quarter. It was bitterly cold, with a biting wind and it rained incessantly.

And it wasn’t a free kick either against Super! Umpires felt sorry for Carlton. Mark Arceri kicked the goal. Winners are grinners. Losers can ...
    I was there to see a great victory against the perennial finalists and ti see them struggle against us was stirring.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Peter Bradbury from a Tim Watson pass. The ball had been locked in our forward line for ages then it went up the other end and there were only two players in their forward line Neil Cordy, who for some unkown reason was standing 30 metres away from the goalsqaure which was where his direct opponent was when Watson broke lose with the ball.

Not that I'm bitter about it at all.
    Not much! It's still playing on a loop in your mind's eye! Neil was a good bloke. I worked with him for a while at Essendon Tech when he was teaching Phys Ed.