Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best President in Footscray/Western Bulldogs History?

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    George Sayers. He turned Footscray from a VFA also ran into a VFA super power and then into a VFL club. He recruited Vernon Banbury's to the club, kept him in beer tickets and was his best mate. Vernon Banbury is the greatest Footscray player of all time.

As one of the conditions of entry into the competition the VFL refused to allow Sayers remain as president (they thought he was corrupt and they weren't far wrong!). Sayers used to run a lottery called the Footscray lottery every week and unsuprisingly one of his mates usually ended up winning it! Unless one of the players won it.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...30687/26346011

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/88798794

Although James Cuming was a name from the early days that keeps bobbing up, he bankrolled those first three premiership teams in 1989-99-1900.
    TD, I remember reading a piece about Vernon Banbury in the Footscray Mail written by Hugh Buggy. He certainly would endorse your opinion of Vernon Banbury. He was the super star of his day.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    TD, I remember reading a piece about Vernon Banbury in the Footscray Mail written by Hugh Buggy. He certainly would endorse your opinion of Vernon Banbury. He was the super star of his day.
    Vernon is my hero. I can remember reading an article by Alan Hopkins where he said that the local kids around Footscray would go to training just to watch him go through his paces. Now I'm prepared to believe that there wasn't a lot to do in Footscray back then but I reckon getting a bunch of kids coming along to just watch you train is pretty good.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordon. For reasons previously mentioned. He's a born leader and there's not too many of them around. And a leader of social issues and foundations within the club

Smorgon was also great at promoting the club.

Capes did well to put an end to the loss of star players that took place prior to 1982.

Special mention to good old David "Mitch" Mitchell who after finishing his initial tenure in 1893, came back on board in 1920. A 27 year break. Expect Smorgo to return in 2040!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Gordon. For reasons previously mentioned. He's a born leader and there's not too many of them around. And a leader of social issues and foundations within the club

Smorgon was also great at promoting the club.

Capes did well to put an end to the loss of star players that took place prior to 1982.

Special mention to good old David "Mitch" Mitchell who after finishing his initial tenure in 1893, came back on board in 1920. A 27 year break. Expect Smorgo to return in 2040!!
    I have often wondered if that Dave Mitchell the builder was the same Dave Mitchell the builder who was Dame Nellie Melba the opera singer's father. Melba was born by the name of Helen Porter Mitchell in Melbourne in the 1870s. Melba was the one who insisted that the 1924 Championship of Victoria between Footscray and Essendon match be played to raise funds for the limbless soldiers from WWI.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Someone will know. Back in the 80s I once hosted a trivia night and in the warm up I mentioned my favourite trivia question of all time.

"Who was the Chinese - Australian Aussie Rules player who barefooted a 74 yard torpedo at the Echuca Showgrounds in 1928?"

And a 84 year old woman by the name of Mina Pocock called out, " Oh, that'd be Kew Ming. He was a beautiful kick!"

I couldn't believe it. She'd seen him play at the QEO in Bendigo when she was a teenager.

7. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Someone will know. Back in the 80s I once hosted a trivia night and in the warm up I mentioned my favourite trivia question of all time.

"Who was the Chinese - Australian Aussie Rules player who barefooted a 74 yard torpedo at the Echuca Showgrounds in 1928?"

And a 84 year old woman by the name of Mina Pocock called out, " Oh, that'd be Kew Ming. He was a beautiful kick!"

I couldn't believe it. She'd seen him play at the QEO in Bendigo when she was a teenager.
    My granddad used to talk about him but he just called him Chew. My dad could remember the Chinese opium dens in Bendigo. Heaps of Chinese people moved to Bendigo and Ballarat back in 1850s during the gold rush. They were very skilled at taking a mullock heap (the dirt and rock left over from sinking a shaft) and extracting a payload from it. They were really good at getting the last degree of gold from workings that others had given up on even though it made them incredibly unpopular amongst the other diggers who thought they were cheating or robbing them."Hello, you gave up on that mound and walked away. Its not the Chinese' fault that they had different methods for getting gold dust and small nuggets."

Post Thanks / Like

John Harms has written a piece about Chinese-Australian Aussie Rules players and Les Kew Ming is featured. His grandfathe came out for the gold rush and eventually started a boot making business. There is a "Kew Ming Lane" on the outskirts of Ararat. Les, I believe played for Rochester when they were in the Bendigo League. He tried out with North Melbourne and may have played for Willy.

10. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Merantau and Twodogs our Bulldogs history buffs
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started Easty! And the more obscure and localised the better. Western suburbs - Sunshine/Braybrook in particular - and boxing are two interests of mine.

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started Easty! And the more obscure and localised the better. Western suburbs - Sunshine/Braybrook in particular - and boxing are two interests of mine.
    I love boxing. The too and fro, the dance, the contact when you get a sweet one on their nose, even getting hit isnt so bad-it can be a learning experience. You never feel as alive as you do when you are in the ring.

Les was a really good boxer and sprinter.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone feeling nostalgic ...

The 'Fightback' newsletter that hit member's mailboxes thirty years ago after Oakley had administered the last rites.

Onya Gordo.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

This was happening when I was a baby.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if Lynne Kosky's father was Alan Kosky who had a pharmacy in Beachley St Braybrook in the 60s and 70s and maybe into the early 80s

Post Thanks / Like

The Belgravia in Nicholson St not far from the old Footscray Tech building used to always be called Con Curtain's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    For anyone feeling nostalgic ...

The 'Fightback' newsletter that hit member's mailboxes thirty years ago after Oakley had administered the last rites.

Onya Gordo.
    This is amazing stuff, and you still have it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.