Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 15 2019 vs Port Adelaide

This is the round 15, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Port Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 15 2019 vs Port Adelaide

B

Bonts - The display in the wet first half was insane
    Schache - 6.0 in two games. Highest average goals per game for our club
    Crozier - Fantastic

A

Naughton - really slow night. Schache & Dixon for Port got involved in the game.
    Trengove - Making a statement to play forward/2nd ruck against Geelong next week, not Hawkins
    Suckling - not a huge fan of this forward experiment. I'd play him half back or the VFL.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Bont in the first half was just truly unbelievable
    Crosier the complete 4 quarter effort
    Bailey Smith is gonna be the next Bont.

Anchors
    Good team effort so I really can’t complain
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.

Bont -his first half was a treat. I would've loved to have seen Bont in a time machine, plonked in a wet, muddy Western Oval circa 1985: proverbial pig in mud I suspect.
    Roarke Smith - I've been more than questioning of his ability to acquit himself at this level. Tonight he played his first influential game.
    Schache - The first few forward 50 entries tonight, and I thought we were seeing another timid, tentative, anaemic Josh Schache. Constantly playing behind his man on the lead, proppy. Then he did the opposite. He roamed, he hit packs, he used his size, and got in front of his man. He took marks, kicked goals, and hit packs, and contests. Coming of age? If it is, this is huge for us.

Anchors.
    Trengove's silly free's
    Team's inability to judge the improved conditions in the 3rd, and continue to kick off the ground at every opportunity. We should have been more judicious in doing this at that stage. Port were cleaner, and we should've picked up that we could've been too.

That's it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. 109 tackles for a match with Smith executing more than 10%
    2. Schache great mark and goal in wet conditions.
    3. Crozier - he has become very important for us.

Anchors

1. Kicking off the ground - should only do it when you are really under pressure.
    2. The two deliberates by umpires, just a joke
    3. Trengove silly frees, but didn't matter in the end.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Crozier is becoming a Mr Fixit in the mold of Sir Dale Morris. Rarely beaten and his ability to intercept is a weapon.
    2. Schache had everything going against him and was able to influence the game. Good signs.
    3. Bont was big time.

Anchors

1. Suckling was invisible for most of the game and when he did get it, burnt some straightforward opportunities.
    2. Cordy just gets beaten too much and looks like he’s lost confidence, needs a spell.
    3. Naughton is getting outpositioned too often. Moving him up th field & in the ruck was a good move, as he was a non contributor up forward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The only anchor tonight is that we did those Bomber pricks a massive favour.

Otherwise bankers all round
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes Dry Rot, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

*note Bont is beyond this thread

1. Crozier has become the dictionary meaning of banker. 10 games at the dogs I had written him off. So happily wrong.
    2. Shack response
    3. This guy B. smith.
    4. Lippa
    5: my boss goes for port

A: rain I guess

10. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Bontempelli - set the standard from the first bounce, classical wet weather brilliance.
    Macrae - I think I heard he had 20 contested possessions, enough said.
    Dickson - 2 important goals.

Anchors
    None with an away win of this quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers - Coaching staff ( copped a lot of heat and rightly so ) but turning a flakey half forward from Fremantle into a top notch half back deserves praise
    Josh Schache - went back to the seconds to get more intensity and effort ,and I think he’s getting there. Disappointing night for Jono Brown who’s been barracking for Josh to fail
    Roarke Smith - still don’t think he’s going to get there, but the young bloke deserves too

Anchors- suppose could be a banker for us, but arrogance from Hinkley not going with the extra mid in the wet . Reckon’s he’s underrated us
    Thought we should have got more Port perspective from Soda
    No more anchors , jog on

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B1: Shache. So much focus on what he isn't, to the point that many are blind to what he is. A goal kicking, tall forward. Play, keep playing him and get the ball in his hands.

B2: The Bont/Dunks duo. A sword and shield pairing.

B3: Crozier took a few important marks in the toughest conditions. Saved the day with one on the last line. We looked gone at that point.

A: Richards battled a bit.
    A: Naughton couldn't get his hands as sticky as they usually are. Competed well up the field.
    A: umpires after half time.

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    B1: Shache. So much focus on what he isn't, to the point that many are blind to what he is. A goal kicking, tall forward. Play, keep playing him and get the ball in his hands.
    His form might fluctuate but I hope we play him each week for the balance of the season. We need to show some faith in him and just keep his focus on the intensity he displays.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    His form might fluctuate but I hope we play him each week for the balance of the season. We need to show some faith in him and just keep his focus on the intensity he displays.
    Western Bulldogs - Average Goals Per Game 2019

Josh Schache 1.8 (ranked 17th in the entire league)
    Sam Lloyd 1.6
    Tory Dickson 1.4
    Aaron Naughton 1.3
    Billy Gowers 1.3

A nearly two goal a game, 200cm, 94kg running machine, who takes a run in the ruck, and has a great set shot routine (11.3) to capatilse on the hard work of the midfielders to get it into the 50 (which doesn't always happen) should be getting games for his development but also for the betterment of the team and its performance. This is what we wanted for a very long time, but I don't get the feeling he gets enough credit.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes SonofScray, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. The Bont - sublime!

2. Bailey Smith - I thought last week he looked like he might need a rest but what do I know, 14 tackles!!!! That's how you can influence a game if you not getting the ball. But in saying that he got it 23 times as well. Great effort young man.

3. Team defense. In a game full of chaos balls, we were well prepared, organised and ready for anything.

Anchors

1. Umps - some very dubious frees paid in those conditions. It was as if they were trying to get Port back in the game of something! If it's there pay it, if it's not or it's not clear its play on, simple

2. Naughton's hands - where has his sticky hands gone. Bit harsh I know due to the conditions but others were marking it.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Bont. He might just win the brownlow. I have him polling in a minimum of 7 games and a max of 11 - from the 14 we've played. Last night he was playing under the roof and everyone else was in torrential rain.

Crozier - instrumental early with some telling marks. And then defended grandly when we were under siege.

Schache - imagine playing a guy who knows how to play forward, and can kick straight!!
    R.Smith - Credit where due. He had his best game for the club by panels. If he gets those 30cm hot handballs out of his game, and we see him use his athleticism well, then I'm interested to see what happens.

Anchors: (Just soft anchors...great team effort).

Trengove - has been playing well, but really struggled, and gave away free kicks where you'd expect better from a veteran.
    Richards - Not his sort of night. Would like to see him a little stronger in the contest.
    Suckling - nothing came off for him apart from his snap goal in 1st qrtr. Expect better decisions from a veteran.