Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned round 15 2019 v Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I treasure the wine I've seen up here in Brisbane. In particular the win in 99 in a raging monsoon -where I met my wife.
    I think you mean rain but well played either way

Post Thanks / Like

1) Some often use the excuse of an inexperienced playing list but Port had 6 first year players in their squad tonight but I think Bailey Smiths effort was better than everyone one of them. If we were uneasy with selecting Smith in the draft we shouldn't be he's doing far better than I expected given his limited preseason.

2) Bont made very difficult conditions look easy and while I've seen that before from him I rate tonight's effort right up there with the best game I've seen from him.

3) Special mentions to Lipinski and R.Smith tonight both of them handled the wet conditions so well which surprised me
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. We have a team full of mudlarks.
    2. Crazier is more courageous than I gave him credit for.
    3. I'm more worried than ever about our captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    1. We have a team full of mudlarks.
    2. Crazier is more courageous than I gave him credit for.
    3. I'm more worried than ever about our captain.
    When you think about who’s spot Morris should take. His is the logical one at the moment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    When you think about who’s spot Morris should take. His is the logical one at the moment
    Agreed.

Massive test for the match committee.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Shoulda coulda woulda. We are left standing with our proverbial in our hand that is our season to date. If we had of won the games that we should of e.g. Carlton, Gold Coast and probably Norf, we would not be planning holidays in September.

2. It must be hard for Easton Wood to watch Bontempelli doing his job for him. The Bont set us up in the first quarter like a pure captain. I love Woody but mate what has happened to you mate. You're a shadow of yourself.

3. Rourke Smith take a bow. He was terrific. Clean with a slippery ball when others struggled to handle it and kept his feet when others were slip sliding all over the place. I loved his goal and I loved the smile on his face after it. The way his team mates got over to him shows how much of a loved team mate he is. Hopefully this game sets a career in the AFL for him. So basically I learned that R. Smith deserves his place in the 22.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Double post
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont free zone so,
    1. Hayden Crozier might be just about the best moneyball pick we have ever made. Brought across as an inconsistent forward but has turned into a highly dependable defender who reads the game extremely well and has staggered me with his bravery.
    2. Josh Schache might be coming of age. In conditions that were far from ideal for his type he was aggressive at the contest and made good second efforts at ground level. Took some nice clean grabs and can be relied upon to get full scoreboard reward, should play all remaining games unless injured.
    3. Team defence, on a night suited to defend we seemed to set up much better with an anchor defender (goalkeeper) ready to pick off any dirty forward entries and denying any out the back goals.
    Special mention to Rourke Smith, well done young fella, you deserve some luck.

9. Likes azabob, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Agreed.

Massive test for the match committee.
    IMO there is no way Wood would even be in the discussions of being dropped despite his declining form.
    He's had just 9 kicks and 9 handballs in the the last two weeks and just 5 marks and 1 tackle. His punching of the ball seems to more highly regarded now. Did he punch the ball away from himself in the last quarter when he had no opponent? I need to have another look at it.

In 2015 he was averaging just under 18 disposals and 7 marks per game, in 2019 it's just over 11 for disposals and a fraction under 4 marks per game.

For what it's worth the MC would look at moving one of the smaller players like Duryea out of the back half to make room for Morris
    I'd be genuine surprised if Woods name was even mentioned in discussions. Morris will come in soon enough but I highly doubt it will be at the expense of Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    IMO there is no way Wood would even be in the discussions of being dropped despite his declining form.
    He's had just 9 kicks and 9 handballs in the the last two weeks and just 5 marks and 1 tackle. His punching of the ball seems to more highly regarded now. Did he punch the ball away from himself in the last quarter when he had no opponent? I need to have another look at it.

In 2015 he was averaging just under 18 disposals and 7 marks per game, in 2019 it's just over 11 for disposals and a fraction under 4 marks per game.

For what it's worth the MC would look at moving one of the smaller players like Duryea out of the back half to make room for Morris
    I'd be genuine surprised if Woods name was even mentioned in discussions. Morris will come in soon enough but I highly doubt it will be at the expense of Wood
    His role has changed dramatically between 2015 and 2019.

Morris won't be back for a few weeks according to Bevo.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His role has changed dramatically between 2015 and 2019.

Morris won't be back for a few weeks according to Bevo.
    Is that something that is well known or something I just missed? I know we tried to turn him into a forward last year which didn't work
    So if I'm hearing you correctly we changed his role to gradually reduce his possession count each year?
    Seems strange that we would do that to a defender when we generally rely on quick transitions from the back line.

I would have thought that the 6, 6, 6 rule might have limited his effectiveness from zoning off and being the 3rd man in marking contests just a bit but I'd be interested to hear how we have dramatically changed his role?

Post Thanks / Like

1. What a slick wet weather team we are despite playing Marvel a lot.
    2. We should give more money to the Bont.
    3. We are on the rise with lots of potential with development left in Schache, Smiths x2, English, Naughton, Lips and even Crozier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is that something that is well known or something I just missed? I know we tried to turn him into a forward last year which didn't work
    So if I'm hearing you correctly we changed his role to gradually reduce his possession count each year?
    Seems strange that we would do that to a defender when we generally rely on quick transitions from the back line.

I would have thought that the 6, 6, 6 rule might have limited his effectiveness from zoning off and being the 3rd man in marking contests just a bit but I'd be interested to hear how we have dramatically changed his role?
    Firstly I will say I don't think he is as good as he was back in 2015 and I think that could be due to a number of factors.

Back in 2015, his role was more interceptor, as you say 3rd man marking as well as doing a bit of run and carry. The last couple of years he has been forced to play deeper back, and one on one against taller players. Stats like punching the ball don't show up in disposal count. His disposal count is more like a Cordy or Morris.

Highlights from 3 years ago

Last edited by bornadog; 30-06-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To have a chance to make the eight we need at least 12 wins thats six more from nine games. We should win at least five of them and not a stretch to say six. Our percentage should then improve so this season and how we end it is critical to our future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    To have a chance to make the eight we need at least 12 wins thats six more from nine games. We should win at least five of them and not a stretch to say six. Our percentage should then improve so this season and how we end it is critical to our future.
    It’s 6 from 8. And while there’s some winnable ones there, with Geelong, GWS away and Brisbane away plus Essendon and Adelaide on the slate. I’d be absolutely amazed if we got there. 4 or 5 wins would be a pretty solid finish.