Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Danny Southern

Post Thanks / Like

Danny Southern

I read this last week and thought it might be of some interest. It's always good to see what happens to explayers but I doubt too many been on a similiar journey to Danny/Daniel. Reading the bolded bit has me wondering what name he took up?

Doggone Danny … to Egypt!
    ANYONE who used to boast a shark and a snake as pets (not to mention sport a goatee beard and ponytail while in the field of battle) is … well, considered ''out there'' in our book, and we're pleased to report life's journey has found yet another different fork in the road for former Western Bulldogs player Danny Southern. ''Daniel'' as he liked to be referred to in the latter part of his career is now as far removed from AFL football as one is likely to be, being based in Egypt where he is ground operations manager for an Australian travel company called Intrepid Travel. And not only does his job involve being in charge of 30 team leaders but he also regularly gets to sample what his company has to offer, travelling to such remote spots as Syria, Jordan, Algeria, Libya and Tunisia. Those who knew Southern during his footy career and his subsequent brief stint as an ABC commentator won't be surprised by any of this because Southern always had a penchant for visiting some of the world's more exotic destinations during footy's off-season. This time though they're not expecting him back any time soon - not only has Southern embraced Egypt and all that it has to offer but since taking on his new job has fallen in love with a local lass and recently married her resulting, we believe, in him converting to Islam and changing his name.

From;

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tree-...1201-k3sh.html
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Danny Southern

Changed his name to Daniel Middle Eastern.

ronmcd Guest

Could be Yusuf Islam II, following in the steps of Cat Stevens?????????? Although Danny is an ex-doggie, so I'd be expecting something different!! Does he not get the ''western' part after being with the Western Bulldogs???Perhaps he can bring his lovely bride back to the inner sanctum of the Club and be a born again doggie!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornindroopst'54 View Post
    changed his name to daniel middle eastern.
    Ha ha that is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Ha ha that is good.
    + 1

What a cool story! I wonder what big Minno will be doing after football...

Post Thanks / Like

I am stunned!!!!

In 2008 we went to Egypt, and did a tour with - you guess it - Intrepid - and I never knew Daniel was part of it! Mind you after we discovered the Red Sea resorts, and how cheap it is to live over there, not to mention how dam nice the people are...we were thinking about living there as well, except I would miss my footy too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprising as danny was a bit different than the standard Bali loving Football Jock. Good luck to the guy hope he returns next September to witness a Bulldog premiership

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he is thinking of putting a sleeper hold on the Sphinx if it plays up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaDruid View Post
    I wonder if he is thinking of putting a sleeper hold on the Sphinx if it plays up?
    that's unfair on Daniel ... It was just a cuddle ... I mean, it's not as if Sumich had a lot of blood flow to his head anyway
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

A fellow Bulldog supporter friend of mine went to Egypt in 2005 and happened to run into Daniel Southern after his tour. My mate was wearing an old Bulldogs cap, so they got chatting. He had already changed his name to Mustaffsen (I'm guessing at the spelling). He got a photo with him, unfortunately I don't have it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    A fellow Bulldog supporter friend of mine went to Egypt in 2005 and happened to run into Daniel Southern after his tour. My mate was wearing an old Bulldogs cap, so they got chatting. He had already changed his name to Mustaffsen (I'm guessing at the spelling). He got a photo with him, unfortunately I don't have it anymore.

Cool-thanks Suz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Changed his name to Daniel Middle Eastern.
    Daniel Bin Laden?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Cool-thanks Suz.
    You're welcome!!

My mate also said that at that time Daniel had recently been back to Melbourne to watch the Demons V Dogs game - the one where if we'd won we would've gotten into the finals. Jeff White was awarded that dodgy free kick and kicked the goal that won them the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    My mate also said that at that time Daniel had recently been back to Melbourne to watch the Demons V Dogs game - the one where if we'd won we would've gotten into the finals. Jeff White was awarded that dodgy free kick and kicked the goal that won them the game.

Recently? Mate it was 5 years ago!

And I thought I knew how to bear a grudge...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Recently? Mate it was 5 years ago!

And I thought I knew how to bear a grudge...

I meant at that time (2005) he had recently been back to Melbourne, not recently from now!!

Hold a grudge? Don't get me started on the 1997 Preliminary Final or Brownlow Medal!!!!