Post Thanks / Like

WB Game Day V Geelong R16 2019

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-02...dogs-v-geelong

Match preview: Western Bulldogs v Geelong
    Paul Bastin
    Jul 2, 2019 12:10PM

Where and when: Marvel Stadium, Saturday July 6, 7:25pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for the Western Bulldogs: The Bulldogs continue to hang around the finals conversation through a 6-8 win-loss record, but there is no margin for error. They face first-placed Geelong on the back of a strong fortnight.

What it means for Geelong: Maintain breathing space at the top. The Cats have a two-game gap ahead of last season's Grand Finalists Collingwood and West Coast, and could be a couple of wins from being able to manage their run home without ladder pressure.

The stat: Geelong's dominance over the Western Bulldogs stretches back more than a decade, winning 16 of the past 18 games, including two finals.

The match-up: Josh Schache v Harry Taylor

An in-form Schache (ranked 463rd in the Official AFL Player Ratings) has returned to the Western Bulldogs senior side with gusto in the past fortnight, kicking six goals. The 21-year-old is likely to face experienced Geelong defender Harry Taylor (211th), a man who has rarely been beaten in a 251-game career.

It’s a big week for: Aaron Naughton

The Bulldogs forward hasn't kicked a goal in the past two games and no more than one in a game since round eight. It's a tough position to play for a developing 19-year-old, but Naughton needs to find a way to impact the scoreboard against the best defence in the competition.

Big call: Tom Hawkins kicks five-plus goals for the first time in 2019

Prediction: Geelong by 12 points
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R16 2019

Margin: Dogs by 2 points

Our First Goal: Josh Schache

Our Best On Ground: The Bont!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

WB by 24
    First Goal Schache
    BOG Dunkley

We're hunting the ball and the man, which is how Port beat Geelong
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs by 7 points
    First Goal: Dickson
    BOG: Macrae
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs by 19 points
    First Goal: Schache
    BOG: Bontempelli

Post Thanks / Like

Given last week's effort can we get the sprinklers turned on at Docklands for 24 hours prior to the first bounce?

Trust we'll be valiant but the other mob have a gear we don't right now.

Them by 36
    First Goal : Schache
    BOG : The Bont

Won't mind losing so much if we can bring the same team-wide endeavour for consecutive weeks rather than the jekyll-and-hyde crap.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Given last week's effort can we get the sprinklers turned on at Docklands for 24 hours prior to the first bounce?

Trust we'll be valiant but the other mob have a gear we don't right now.

Them by 36
    First Goal : Schache
    BOG : The Bont

Won't mind losing so much if we can bring the same team-wide endeavour for consecutive weeks rather than the jekyll-and-hyde crap.
    Last time we played them, it was only a few goals in it right up to midway through the last, then they slammed on 4 or do goals and ran out big winners.

We need 4 quarter footy against this mob - I think they are gettable.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I sense an honourable loss coming.

Cats by 12.
    First goal Bont.
    BOG Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Last time we played them, it was only a few goals in it right up to midway through the last, then they slammed on 4 or do goals and ran out big winners.

We need 4 quarter footy against this mob - I think they are gettable.
    Absolutely BAD. For 3 quarters of that match we were right with them and just fell away in the end and I thought the 44 point margin wasn’t a reflection on the overall game.

While we still need to be weary on Saturday night I give us a big chance. We finally got them last year at Marvel then known as Etihad so hopefully we can win more comfortably this time. I tipped us by 2 points.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We played Geelong 6 games ago and our team has 7 different players than that day.

Should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

It's about time we beat this mob. I am so over them. I bracket their supporters alongside Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton, West Coast, Adelaide and Collingwood supporters as the supporters I dislike the most. There are more out of shape Geelong male supporters wearing footy jumpers than any other club's. We owe them big time. I can only recall seeing five wins against them in 63 years. I'm sure there's been more but that's all I can re-call.
    The first was last home-and-home game in 1961 when we had to win to get into the four. Ted Whitten was magnificent that day and kicked two 80 yard drop kick goals from the EJ Smith wing to the Barkly St end. The crowd was huge; the excitement immense.
    I remember the Pieman booting 12 in a great performance in the 80s and I was at Kardinia Park in the 80s when Lally Bamblett kicked a marvellous running goal and we won comfortably.
    The 4th was at Doglands a few years ago. It was very close. Gia dropped a garden variety chest mark near the wing, they got it and booted it inside 50 but Brian Lake saved the day (again) with yet another timely mark - this time DEEP in time on this paying homage to the true meaning of "timely".
    And of course the most recent one was the 18 players plus orange boy on the mark v Harry Taylor who kicked it like a bloke who'd played 300 games in defence. Good one H.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    It's about time we beat this mob. I am so over them. I bracket their supporters alongside Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton, West Coast, Adelaide and Collingwood supporters as the supporters I dislike the most. There are more out of shape Geelong male supporters wearing footy jumpers than any other club's. We owe them big time. I can only recall seeing five wins against them in 63 years. I'm sure there's been more but that's all I can re-call.
    The first was last home-and-home game in 1961 when we had to win to get into the four. Ted Whitten was magnificent that day and kicked two 80 yard drop kick goals from the EJ Smith wing to the Barkly St end. The crowd was huge; the excitement immense.
    I remember the Pieman booting 12 in a great performance in the 80s and I was at Kardinia Park in the 80s when Lally Bamblett kicked a marvellous running goal and we won comfortably.
    The 4th was at Doglands a few years ago. It was very close. Gia dropped a garden variety chest mark near the wing, they got it and booted it inside 50 but Brian Lake saved the day (again) with yet another timely mark - this time DEEP in time on this paying homage to the true meaning of "timely".
    And of course the most recent one was the 18 players plus orange boy on the mark v Harry Taylor who kicked it like a bloke who'd played 300 games in defence. Good one H.
    Yep, I hate those buck teethed, inbred farm boys from Geelong. With their braces and their stupid ranga heads and flannelette shirts all wandering around looking to meet an attractive cousin...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/new...ch-dogs-v-cats

Four things to watch: Dogs v Cats
    Jul 5, 2019 12:33PM

1. Dunks v Danger?
    The midfield battle is always critical, and both sides have plenty of star factor.
    Patrick Dangerfield has overcome an injury worry to be named in the Cats’ line-up, and could we see him go head-to-head with Josh Dunkley?
    Dunkley is emerging as a real weapon in the midfield for the Dogs.
    He’s averaged more than 32 disposals and six tackles per game over the past eight weeks, and could be the man to match the Cats’ clearance king.

2. McLean’s return
    Toby McLean is back.
    The 2016 premiership player has forced his way back into the AFL side after missing the past two matches.
    After being the carry-over AFL emergency in the first of those two weeks, McLean dominated at VFL level on the weekend.
    He racked up 30 disposals and kicked two goals to be a clear best-on-ground, and can hopefully carry that form into Saturday night against the Cats.
    McLean replaces the injured Caleb Daniel – and it will be intriguing to see who steps into Daniel’s ‘quarterback’ role off half-back too.

3. The record
    It’s fair to say the Cats have largely had our measure in recent years.
    The Cats have taken the points in 12 of our past 13 clashes, dating back to the 2009 elimination final.
    However, there is one stat in our favour.
    The last time we met under the Marvel Stadium roof? A two-point win for the Dogs.
    And if we can build on the three-quarter performance at GMHBA Stadium earlier this year, then on our own turf we’ll be every chance against the ladder-leaders.

4. Stopping Tom Hawkins
    Star Geelong forward Tom Hawkins had a big impact when we met earlier this year.
    He snagged four goals – and found able sidekicks in Darcy Fort (three goals) and Gary Rohan (three goals), who both find themselves as emergencies this week.
    Jackson Trengove has established himself in defence since then, after taking on the ruck role against the Cats in round nine.
    Could he be the man to help limit the influence of Hawkins?
    We’ll find out on Saturday night.

17. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can smell an upset

Dogs by 16
    First goal- Dickson
    BOG- Dunkley
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

19. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going out on a limb.
    Dogs by 7 points
    Bont
    Schache
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

21. Likes azabob liked this post