Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  220
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R16 2019

What a sweet, sweet victory. Such a coincidence that these good teams just happen to play badly against us

The boys really stood up last night, a real team effort.

2. Likes Twodogs, BornInDroopSt'54, josie, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Strong 4 quarter effort was the key to the win. We made way too many mistakes with skills and decision making but we out worked them in the last quarter when it counted.

I hope we are advancing our discussions with Bevo about a new contract.
    I still think he needs to have a more footy focus and if that can be achieved I see no reasons why we wouldn't want to give him an extension now rather than wait until next season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Had to post this, Bailey Smith has that unteachable smart arse-ness that our players have seemingly lacked for so long. Naughton has it too. Giving it to Selwood, sign him up for life (granted I respect Selwood he's a great leader). Pic : Michael Wilson (twitter : @michaelcwilson)
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 07-07-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, I honestly thought we would get flogged by 7+ goals, and only managed to see the odd score before tuning in for the last 12 mins. What a mighty effort, and it looked like McLean had a blinder in the last, with most of the guys turning in a good team effort in the last. To keep them to 50 odd points for the game was a mighty effort by our defensive unit. Always good to see Geel head back down the highway with their tail between their legs. Even throwing our nemesis (Taylor) fwd, couldn’t get them the win. Well done dogs.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Bailey smith was everywhere tonight. , kids unbelievable.
    I’ve got it worked out , we get Naughton to take a mark early and his confidence goes through the roof and bang!
    Bailey is tracking better than Coons in his first year. His potential is mitigated by his precocious professionalism. I suspect his improvement will be more gradual less dramatic than Coons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Just watched the last quarter again, and as I've said previously this season there isn't a team in the competition that plays like us when we're OK, and there isn't a team that can claim to have it over us if we play well.

We're genuinely unique and hide the clear deficiencies we have in our structure when everyone sticks to their knitting. However, given our team balance or structure, age and experience we'll have our lapses and I think a lot of supporters need to understand that. We could have put another solid performance in tonight and lost against the top team and many around here would have gone completely ballistic and into meltdown. But, the difference between doing that and what we did tonight is really small, so next time it goes the other way some perspective might be required to keep this place a little more enjoyable.

Our defence tonight was excellent, it looked like we gave a few more free touches away between 65-100 metres away from goal in order to save some within 30. This actually helped us apply some pressure on the Cats when they got close to goal, which was a good thing.

Our midfield will be the best in the competition when at full complement, if it's not already. We're in this, we can beat anyone.
    Man's not wrong. Down back is still an issue but we just kept the "best" team with the "best" forward line to 55 points in perfect conditions, so honestly who even knows anymore. The forward line looks grim on paper but it's more effective than it's been in ages and it's gonna have two guys clear 40 goals.

Our midfield is the best in the league and we still have one of our lead horses to come back into it. If we can protect Timmy from getting bodied too badly then we will beat everyone around the ball.

Also I really hope I said this somewhere on here at the time but the Cats' early-season form was rooted in total tin-arse unsustainable and unprecedented goal-kicking accuracy. Have serious doubts about them when the pressure is up if last night is any indicator.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes jeemak, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    The Dogs will get me evicted. I kept on shouting **** at the top of my lungs in the last quarter.

Dunno about the rest of you, but that rates up there as among our great wins over the last 20 years.
    Just before he died my dad asked me to move in with my mum and just keep an eye on her. Anyway I'd been moved back for about a week or so when we lost that game to North last year with the last kick after Wallis missed the target and kicked it OOBOTF. I kicked a cushion laying on the ground and swore at the top of my voice. Said cushion may have hit the telly and dear old mum may have threatened to throw me out of the house!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, merantau, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Had to post this, Bailey Smith has that unteachable smart arse-ness that our players have seemingly lacked for so long. Naughton has it to. Giving it to Selwood, sign him up for life (granted I respect Selwood he's a great leader). Pic : Michael Wilson (twitter : @michaelcwilson)
    Lippa is letting Duckwood know too. Love it!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you out there, Danjul?

14. Likes Bulldog4life, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best thing about last night is that we still have so much room for improvement - we were awful for large parts of the first half and frankly lucky to be as close as we were. The entire 2nd half was a much improved effort - we got the rewards in the last qtr but our 3rd was just as impressive.

I've been critical of Bevo this season but since the bye he has finally settled the team down selection wise and also positionally, and we are so much better for it. Big challenges coming up in the next 3 weeks where we will be favourites - we haven't worn the label well recently.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Had to post this, Bailey Smith has that unteachable smart arse-ness that our players have seemingly lacked for so long. Naughton has it to. Giving it to Selwood, sign him up for life (granted I respect Selwood he's a great leader). Pic : Michael Wilson (twitter : @michaelcwilson)
    We need players with a bit more swagger and self confidence. Naughton while is still growing as a player and can be quiet but when he's on you can tell, he wants the ball in his hands, he'll attack the ball in the air and try and take that big mark. I was dead against moving him back and in a way it's still robbed us down there and we're still trying to recover in that area but he's got that X factor which you want as a forward and it will be a great move for us beyond 2019.

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Why? I'm sure they're smiling from ear to ear like most of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    just arrived.

Yes, I enjoyed the win.

And I noticed that Trengove, Schache, Williams and Lipinski were all in the team that defeated Geelong at the same venue last year.

But some or all were missing from some interesting losses earlier in the year.

The win has reinforced my belief that the team has some great players and should be sitting higher on the ladder. I accept the fact that some here don’t believe that.

Hopefully that will still happen. The team and the supporters deserve it.

21. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Lloyd played his best game for the club last night.

Goals were hard to come by as was effective disposals.

He managed 3 goals, 6 score involvements, 1 score assist, 84% efficiency, 11 pressure acts, 4 inside 50's and 276 meters gained.

He managed three clutch goals in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters.

His first goal right on half time got us back within 2 goals and his 3rd goal to seal the game was huge. Who else bar Dickson on our list would've kicked them?

Consistent four quarter game for a small forward.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

23. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, jeemak, merantau, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Also I really hope I said this somewhere on here at the time but the Cats' early-season form was rooted in total tin-arse unsustainable and unprecedented goal-kicking accuracy. Have serious doubts about them when the pressure is up if last night is any indicator.
    They must be the only team in the AFL that get to train and play on their own ground. They don't miss at Kardinia Park, but last night under pressure, they did miss plenty of easy shots.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.