Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs, Destination Club: What have we done ????

I remember last year there was discussion on what constitutes a destination club (for those senior players wishing to swap clubs), and why we are not one of them. It was a sort of consensus that we were not one, and that it effected our ability to draw quality recruits from other AFL teams.

Sorry, I can't remember the thread, to extend the original theme.

Given we are now in the back end of the season I would be interested to know whether our Woofers think we have addressed this problem, and how ?

Or, are we still just seen as the poor, battlers from the West, 2016 notwithstanding ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs, Destination Club: What have we done ????

One of the issues of not being a destination club is not playing in blockbuster games as well as not playing at the G with an average crowd in excess of 50,000.

How do we bridge this?

* On field success
    * Improved facilities, including training, rooms, staffing, good coaches and a great place to be.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think on-field success is first, second and everywhere in between. Payers want to play in a premiership team. Full stop.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I think on-field success is first, second and everywhere in between. Payers want to play in a premiership team. Full stop.
    If that was truly the case we should have had a queue of applicants a mile long at Whitten Oval after 2016.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think BAD has hit the spot. We are small fry in a big pond and until the AFL pull their head out of their arse and make an equal competition it will be the same.
    If we win a couple of premierships along the way it may sway the odd one but players are drawn to the big clubs and the big crowds.
    We would have to play finals 5 years in a row and win half before we get taken seriously.
    The AFL is run by the dollar and media rights is a big part of that dollar and they will always back the clubs with the larger viewing audience.
    It would take the AFL to start its own tv channel to maybe back to a proper draw and not a fixture and take away the blockbusters for individuals clubs and share to whoever gets picked out of the hat.
    Also while on a rant fixed player payments so no one player is payed over just to entice them to a club.

Then we may see a stabilized competition.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

9. Likes Twodogs, bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Give us Anzac Day

Post Thanks / Like

50k members would help. We've addressed the destination club for this trade period I believe. The AFL is coming more and more corporate and we have a full war chest. We'll be paying overs due to other deficiencies but I fully expect to spend big this trade period and get a genuinely good player. If you've got the cash and are prepared to pay a bit over value the destination club discussion becomes less relevant.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't help when the AFL is committed to keeping the big clubs big by constantly giving them preferential treatment in regards to them getting marquee games every year along with not being shackled by Marvel Stadium for the most part. There really isn't the room to grow for us because we aren't a traditionally strong team and get nothing from the AFL to help make us more attractive.

Shit look at Melbourne, a big club who are only big due to momentum and being old; Larger potential crowds, get the Queen's Birthday game which is a guaranteed sell-out because it's a public holiday game vs Collingwood and had the AFL personally setting up coaches so that they could maybe stop being shit.

Or even Essendon; they got busted for being drug cheats but didn't lose either of their marquee games and in fact got a third one.

13. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I met Paul Dimattina who said he was jealous of his brother because he had played for Collingwood in front of big crowds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I met Paul Dimattina who said he was jealous of his brother because he had played for Collingwood in front of big crowds.
    We need our supporters to get out there and watch us play. We need to fill Marvel and create a great atmosphere.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Eastdog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We need our supporters to get out there and watch us play. We need to fill Marvel and create a great atmosphere.
    It is interesting to note that home based Clubs at Marvel, Saints North, Carlton, Essendon and WB, haven't been flushed with success. Collingwood Richmond and Hawthorn all boast big memberships playing at the MCG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    It is interesting to note that home based Clubs at Marvel, Saints North, Carlton, Essendon and WB, haven't been flushed with success. Collingwood Richmond and Hawthorn all boast big memberships playing at the MCG.
    A few have come close but aside from Essendon in 2000 when it opened we’re the only team to win a premiership playing there.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think why we don’t play often at the MCG is that we have a low number of Bulldog MCC members. I know Bevo has said he really enjoys playing there but we don’t get much opportunity.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yep for sure. Need our members/supporters to get to the games when they can.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Big memberships is a furphy in some cases, Hawks apparently huge but they don’t go to games, how many are pet and baby memberships or 3 game memberships ?
    You can do shiftys to up your membership numbers, Essendon gave out a few thousand free after the drug scandal.
    Should look at revenue from membership and average crowd to home games to get a better idea.
    Bring back the biff

22. Likes Testekill, Eastdog liked this post