Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs, Destination Club: What have we done ????

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    This article is 12+ months old but it details the steps that the Minnesota Vikings - in a less than 'appealing location' in the states, went about revitalising their training facilities to improve performance AND assist in acquiring free-agents:

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-f...tos/487412921/

Now - our facilities aren't 'BAD' by any means...but are they a differentiator?

Offering facilities such as the cryo services on-site is attractive to free-agents as they are often high-earning players who want to continue to be high-earning players...the reputation of our medical and rehab teams and the available facilities are absolutely key here...
    When we first setup our training centre it was the best in the land, and we also made three prelims. The new development is going to take it to the next level, and hopefully we can use it as a selling point.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Regarding your point 3, does a rebuild actually work in favour for bigger name players? I would have thought that with established players of the ilk of Bontempelli, Macrae, Dunkley, Liberatore, Johannisen, Daniel and Hunter and then a host of emerging talent in Naughton, English, Richards, Schache and Smith plus a host of quality role players like Trengove, Crozier, Suckling, Lloyd and of course Morris then we should be a more attractive destination for quality players
    I think you are correct, they will attract interest when they start to generate sustainable success on the field.

It might still be too early, maybe in a year or two.

4. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think we get judged in a poor manner over the whole Cloke thing. Get him to the club on a two year deal, refuse to play him despite the fact we are/were screaming out for a player of his type and then inexplicably give him the flick after only one year of the contract. In politics they talk about optics (how things look to the average punter) and the optics of the Cloke deal to other AFL players must have been awful. It looked like we didn't know what we were doing and more importantly didn't care. It looked like the recruitment guys weren't talking to the list management guys or what they were saying was getting lost in translation. Anyway we didnt look like a club that really good players ( Crozier and Trengrove are good solid players but they are not superstars) would want to take a risk on coming to.
    Yes, that saga was bizarre and damaged the club as a destination for sure. All the PR benefit was wasted.

Looking back on it, another case of a good player ruining his career in the ruck. That position has been a graveyard for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    And what exactly did players like Lever, May, Docherty, Marchbank and McGovern, see when they 'looked closer' at Melbourne and Carlton respectively?
    In football the words Melbourne and Carlton have brand recognition.

It is generated by sustained periods of success and lasts for generations.

50% of the Herald-sun football articles are about Collingwood for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

Melbourne haven't won a premiership in 55 years, their "sustained period of success" is more than a generation ago. Carlton at least is more recent, but neither have the benefit of successful runs.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

Stretching the limits of credulity there.
    A few weeks ago, you were lamenting that our recent success counts for nothing, and that if we don't follow up soon fans will desert. Yet this does not hold true for players somehow?

There are 20 years olds today who have never seen a successful Carlton side in their life. There are Melbourne supporters who have gone an entire lifetime without seeing a successful team; but they're both still desirable to players due to their 'brand recognition?

Clearly there is some reason why these clubs seem to still attract talent, but I'm not buying that it's due to players wanting to play there due to some lingering legacy of a brand that has long been a smelly dumpster fire. Tanking culture, dodgy payments, constant upheaval off the field. These are not things that support a strong brand as being the reason why players are still going there.

9. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter. Football ties run deep. Both Melbourne and Carlton have, in their time, had sustained periods of success. Starts the ball rolling. My grandpa barracked for Melbourne when he was a kid cause they were good. M father supports them and so do I etc. We've never experienced this. My best mate barracks for Richmond csuse when he started to notice footy Richmond had just won the 1980 flag.
    The Anamoly is Norf. Their membership actually went down after their late 90s golden era.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

A few weeks ago, you were lamenting that our recent success counts for nothing, and that if we don't follow up soon fans will desert. Yet this does not hold true for players somehow?

There are 20 years olds today who have never seen a successful Carlton side in their life. There are Melbourne supporters who have gone an entire lifetime without seeing a successful team; but they're both still desirable to players due to their 'brand recognition?

Clearly there is some reason why these clubs seem to still attract talent, but I'm not buying that it's due to players wanting to play there due to some lingering legacy of a brand that has long been a smelly dumpster fire. Tanking culture, dodgy payments, constant upheaval off the field. These are not things that support a strong brand as being the reason why players are still going there.
    The recent success does count. It has brought new supporters. On the train to the last two home games I have seen four year olds wearing miniature Dogs jumpers (didn’t know jumpers were made that small) accompanying parents who have recently started following AFL. Now the challenge is to keep them for the next 50 years. What will do it better than continued success? No one here has suggested anything.

Players enjoy playing, being a celebrity and using the small window of opportunity to establish a career path. Why aren’t they queuing up to go to the Gold Coast where they can get warm weather as well? Because it would kill the exposure that’s essential for building their personal brand that has to last longer than the playing years.

What gets players to clubs? Media coverage. What gets Media coverage? Success over a long term. And then some scandal can maximise the public scrutiny. It’s the same as selling magazines.

The Dogs had opportunities with Hall and Acker but did they market the club well? When the premiership arrived did they promote the club intensively or fall into a cult of celebrity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Melbourne haven't won a premiership in 55 years, their "sustained period of success" is more than a generation ago. Carlton at least is more recent, but neither have the benefit of successful runs.

You are making a mistake associating the words Melbourne and Carlton with only football success. They have incorporated business culture into their DNA. When they were successful they were able to draw in high profile business people, for example, and all these associations make the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

Making supporters feel good for 10 years will give the club a taste of that, as Hawthorn has shown more recently.

Post Thanks / Like

Cannot tell me that deals are not being done under the table with both these clubs.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Sadly if your from the Western Suburbs you love the West. If your born in the Eastern Suburbs you don’t like the West. Simple as that. You may notice the guys from the Eastern suburbs mostly live over the bridge. Like the interstate teams we need to focus on local talent. We are still Footscray in many peoples thoughts. To us it’s beautiful but to the others we are lower than them.
    Will be difficult for us for for many more years till we can have a run of sustainable success this is our game I’m sorry
    You would be surprised at the number of WB members/ supporters living throughout the Eastern suburbs. The make up of our Club’s membership will surprise you between East/ West of Melbourne.

16. Likes SquirrelGrip, Doc26, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    You would be surprised at the number of WB members/ supporters living throughout the Eastern suburbs. The make up of our Club’s membership will surprise you between East/ West of Melbourne.
    Iwas born in Footscray and moved to eastern suburb when 7 yo. Found virtually nil Footscray supporters and was constantly amused at the prejudice towards the west. Ditto living in London for a year. The people on one side of Thames thought those on the other side were different, foreign.

Post Thanks / Like

My second job relies on me to travel to a range of suburbs and I ask people in the crowd who they barrack for, normally get 1-2 in a group of 100 in the eastern suburbs who support the dogs and far more in the West.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

As for the 'destination club' thing - is the gap really that much?

Collingwood took Wells and Mayne as FA picks and were laughed at for years because of it. They gave up two first rounders for Treloar, and arguably their best pick ups were guys out of favour (Roughead and Howe) or steak knives (Crisp who has been excellent, an add on from the Beams deal).

Players chase success and we've had our turn at picking guys up during 2008-10. Some guys chase success and it just doesn't work out (e.g. Griff and Lids at GWS, and I suspect that's why Lever chose Melbourne and Lynch chose Richmond). Most of the time players move for opportunity and the guys we've picked up have generally been good in that regard (Lloyd/Crozier/Doc/Suckling).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes hujsh, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the recently poll I started of where our fans are it was 13 to Metro West and 12 to Metro East/South East/Bayside so far. I’m one of those Bulldogs supporters who are in the east as well like a few on here so certainly not the only ones. I fly the Bulldog flag proud out my way. When I take the train I’m on matchdays I see a good number of Dogs fans coming from the eastern suburbs. Would be cool to get a breakdown of WB membership in all the councils areas of Melbourne and Victoria.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"