Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  32
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs, Destination Club: What have we done ????

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    This is what continues to puzzle me. How is it long term dumpster fires like Melbourne and Carlton continue to attract players like Lever, May, Docherty, Marchbank and McGovern, whilst we struggle so hard. This despite recent success, off-field stability and a significantly improved bottom line, especially compared to those two clubs.
    On top of that the re-signing of some young, long term talent, I'm genuinely puzzled why we don't attract higher profile recruits.
    McGovern has a second child, just built a new house. Not going anywhere.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    McGovern has a second child, just built a new house. Not going anywhere.
    McGovern being referred to is already at Carlton. I assume you're talking the West Coast variety but YHF was not

3. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Otherwise known as the crap McGovern, or the dud brother.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

No one good has chosen Carlton as a destination since Judd. They go there for gametime (Marchbank, Docherty, Kennedy), because it's the only club to show serious interest (Pickett, Whiley, Jones) and because they pay more than everyone else since they haven't got enough people that deserve god wages but still have to pay the salary cap, with some players like Fasolo and McGovern benefitting from that.

Melbourne somehow sell their club well recently. I guess a combination of competitive wages (no one has to take a pay cut to keep the team together), a squad that they can sell fairly well ("we have alot of high draft picks on the verge of breaking through as a team, and you're the final piece"), and being a Melbourne based team that plays at the MCG and has history (I think this appeals to the many players they have recruited from interstate clubs recently.)

I can see the appeal. If you are a good player (ie not fringe) and haven't received anything from Collingwood (very professional, good long term connections, big crowds, MCG), Richmond (good side, god environement, big crowds and MCG) or Hawthorn (Clarkson and very succesful club), then of the next tier you have in rough order:
    Essendon: Unlimited big games, squad that can be awesome, big fanbase, no pay cut.
    Melbourne: Play at the MCG lots, up and coming squad, no pay cut, well run, crowds are decentish. No real downside.
    Carlton: Good pay, be sold a key role at a club with a big fanbase and some good timeslots, Docklands tenant though
    Bulldogs: No pay cut, up and coming squad, Bevo is both pro (players coach) and a con (bizarre off field stuff like Talia/Stringer), Docklands tenant
    St.Kilda: No pay cut, young squad with potential, seem to be stagnant off field and a bit directionless, Docklands tenant
    North: Pay well, but don't seem to be going anywhere, play at Docklands and have small crowds.

*Keep in mind the above are how I imagine the players would feel when each player is told that club is interested in them by their agent (ie. Essendon would sell themselves as such)
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    No one good has chosen Carlton as a destination since Judd. They go there for gametime (Marchbank, Docherty, Kennedy), because it's the only club to show serious interest (Pickett, Whiley, Jones) and because they pay more than everyone else since they haven't got enough people that deserve god wages but still have to pay the salary cap, with some players like Fasolo and McGovern benefitting from that.

Melbourne somehow sell their club well recently. I guess a combination of competitive wages (no one has to take a pay cut to keep the team together), a squad that they can sell fairly well ("we have alot of high draft picks on the verge of breaking through as a team, and you're the final piece"), and being a Melbourne based team that plays at the MCG and has history (I think this appeals to the many players they have recruited from interstate clubs recently.)

I can see the appeal. If you are a good player (ie not fringe) and haven't received anything from Collingwood (very professional, good long term connections, big crowds, MCG), Richmond (good side, god environement, big crowds and MCG) or Hawthorn (Clarkson and very succesful club), then of the next tier you have in rough order:
    Essendon: Unlimited big games, squad that can be awesome, big fanbase, no pay cut.
    Melbourne: Play at the MCG lots, up and coming squad, no pay cut, well run, crowds are decentish. No real downside.
    Carlton: Good pay, be sold a key role at a club with a big fanbase and some good timeslots, Docklands tenant though
    Bulldogs: No pay cut, up and coming squad, Bevo is both pro (players coach) and a con (bizarre off field stuff like Talia/Stringer), Docklands tenant
    St.Kilda: No pay cut, young squad with potential, seem to be stagnant off field and a bit directionless, Docklands tenant
    North: Pay well, but don't seem to be going anywhere, play at Docklands and have small crowds.

*Keep in mind the above are how I imagine the players would feel when each player is told that club is interested in them by their agent (ie. Essendon would sell themselves as such)
    Well Carlton got two for one with the Judd trade. Throw in his Mum a job at Visy, if the rumours are true. That's not bad! The point about salary cap is a good one Soupaman and nobody has benefitted more than our old friend Liam Jones. Hasn't he done well?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well Carlton got two for one with the Judd trade. Throw in his Mum a job at Visy, if the rumours are true. That's not bad! The point about salary cap is a good one Soupaman and nobody has benefitted more than our old friend Liam Jones. Hasn't he done well?
    Playing good football late in his career, good luck to him.

Shows just how late talls do actually mature. Ted Richards was 28/29 when he nabbed his first nomination in the AA squad, and Shaun McKernan has been playing outstanding football in recent months.

The kid we just re-signed, Lewie Young, is 20 years old. Schache is still 21, Naughton 19. They're all ahead of the curve but I can completely understand the chase for a mature tall.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post