Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: With the development of various players, where do Libba and Wallis fit into the team now?

We need Mitch's toughness and experience in the forward line and can help in the midfield during rotations for Dunks, Bont etc. He gives 120% every time he plays and makes up for his lack of pace through sheer determination.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: With the development of various players, where do Libba and Wallis fit into the team now?

I would think the GWS mauling would not happen with Libba and Wallis in the team.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with others - he is clearly a club leader and outstanding personality to have in such a young team. I don’t see him fitting in as an inside mid - his preferred position - though would love to see him as a permanent forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep having a look at where both Liberatore and Wallis best fit in and it could easily be a struggle for them if their form isn't close to 100%

Wallis is probably better suited to coming off the bench and up forward with the occasional run in the middle. Liberatore could also be used in the same positions so I wonder if the two of them are pitted against each other
    I could imagine Liberatore being a problem for defenders as he would keep them accountable and niggle them at every chance
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me like Wallis will keep Weightman out of a round one debut. His form in yesterday's intraclub telling. His on field leadership v novice Cody seems critical.

8. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Looks to me like Wallis will keep Weightman out of a round one debut. His form in yesterday's intraclub telling. His on field leadership v novice Cody seems critical.
    Surely keeps Dicko out too. I wonder if Wally has changed his thinking about 'having to be a midfielder' (what Essendon, Brisbane & GCS were promising him) to 'maybe I'm a decent mid sized forward that can take a run in the guts'?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Surely keeps Dicko out too. I wonder if Wally has changed his thinking about 'having to be a midfielder' (what Essendon, Brisbane & GCS were promising him) to 'maybe I'm a decent mid sized forward that can take a run in the guts'?

Hopefully he is thinking that "I really, really want a premiership medallion like Libba has and now that I have seen up close what it takes I am going to do everything I can to get one"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Weightman can't marry Zaine. Cody Cordy is awkward.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to see the scoreboard impact for Wally yesterday.

If he plays primarily as a forward, do we think he'll get to 30+ goals and is that a pass mark? I know goals aren't the only measure but I'm very unsure of what our expectations should be.

Post Thanks / Like

For me I can't see Wally being a full time mid anymore and going by the practice matches so does the coach. He's still great at the coal face but to slow and gets burned on the spread to often. I thought he would of made a good halfback player in the mould of Matty Boyd. We just don't have a spot for him down back so its forward or bust for Mitch. I agree with other posters that his position is forward with maybe 5 minutes a quarter through the middle just to give others a rest. I think Dickson, Weightman, Green, Cavarra, Gowers, maybe West at this point in his career and are all competing for the one spot. You can throw Wallis into that list as well. I think Lloyd and Dale have secured their spot in the forward line with the 3 talls Bruce Naughton and Schache. If the 3 talls isn't working then another spot opens.

Libba still has a spot in the midfield IMO so long as his fitness is up to scratch. He brings a toughness to our team that we lack. He can also get in the heads of his opponent but more than that he is a bloody good footballer. I would like to see Libba take Bailey Smith under his wing and they can antagonise the opposition together. Libba could also be a shutdown player too and should be employed when someone is getting hold of us even though tagging doesn't seem to be in Bevo's game plan but it should be IMO. Libba was a key part of the success of this teams era and I think he makes us a better team when he's in it.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

16. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Wallis forward with the occasional minutes in the middle. IMO he is well ahead of all those mentioned competing for a spot and is an on field leader which none of the others are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    I agree with Wallis forward with the occasional minutes in the middle. IMO he is well ahead of all those mentioned competing for a spot and is an on field leader which none of the others are.
    Agree and an accurate kick for goal too.

19. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Weightman can't marry Zaine. Cody Cordy is awkward.
    Two of the girls in Freo's (at least I think it's Freo) AFLW team tied the knot. One took the other's surname and the club cracked the shits because they had already done all the memorabilia in her maiden name.

At school we had an art teacher called Mrs (no Ms back then) Partos. Mrs Partos was a bit out there and her tow kids were called Moonbase (after Frank Zappa's kids I guess) and Zero (that must have done wonders for his self confidence).

Anyway we also had a teacher called Bruce Nunn. I can't remember what he taught, he just seemed to wander the school grounds and hang around the staff room. So one day on his travels he dropped into our class out of the blue and announced out of nowhere. "I was just thinking Mrs Partos. If we got married then one of our kids would be called Zero Nunn!" and turned around and walked out of the classroom. We all just looked at each other.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Libba still has a spot in the midfield IMO so long as his fitness is up to scratch. He brings a toughness to our team that we lack. He can also get in the heads of his opponent but more than that he is a bloody good footballer. I would like to see Libba take Bailey Smith under his wing and they can antagonise the opposition together. Libba could also be a shutdown player too and should be employed when someone is getting hold of us even though tagging doesn't seem to be in Bevo's game plan but it should be IMO. Libba was a key part of the success of this teams era and I think he makes us a better team when he's in it.
    100% agree. Libba is a jet and he (if fit and focused) can play big midfield minutes. His strength around the cold face is invaluable he positions others, blocks and most importantly frees up and feeds the likes of Bont and Maccrae. He has a seasoned body so can take punishment and in part protects the likes of Smith and Lippa.

In my team a fit Libba would be second picked every week behind the Bont. It’s all down to how he is between the ears.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    100% agree. Libba is a jet and he (if fit and focused) can play big midfield minutes. His strength around the cold face is invaluable he positions others, blocks and most importantly frees up and feeds the likes of Bont and Maccrae. He has a seasoned body so can take punishment and in part protects the likes of Smith and Lippa.

In my team a fit Libba would be second picked every week behind the Bont. It’s all down to how he is between the ears.
    And in the knees.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]