Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

With the development of various players, where do Libba and Wallis fit into the team now?

Dunkley, B Smith and now Lipinski going well in the midfield along with Macrae, the Bont and Hunter. Maclean pressing to get back into the team.

Lloyd going well down forward, Dickson OK lately and Cavarra pressing now for selection. Half the rest of the team are HBFs. Coach happy with R Smith and Williams.

So where do Libba and Wallis fit in when they are fit?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: With the development of various players, where do Libba and Wallis fit into the team now?

If I were Wally’s manager, I’d be seeking out clubs who need some midfield grunt (like Essendon). He’s surplus to our midfield needs and has been for a while hence he plays so much forward where he’s handy but not a game changer. Seeing him in other colours would sting but it’d be better for both parties if he was getting big minutes in a midfield where he is needed vs being floated between mid/forward and possibly VFL like he will be with us.

Libba is a jet and will figure out a way to squeeze back in.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Testekill, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: With the development of various players, where do Libba and Wallis fit into the team now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Dunkley, B Smith and now Lipinski going well in the midfield along with Macrae, the Bont and Hunter. Maclean pressing to get back into the team.

Lloyd going well down forward, Dickson OK lately and Cavarra pressing now for selection. Half the rest of the team are HBFs. Coach happy with R Smith and Williams.

So where do Libba and Wallis fit in when they are fit?
    Personally, I don’t see any of those displacing Libba.

I’m also a Wallis fan but he seems out of favour with some. I’d be reluctant to shed too much midfield grunt and depth. You need a strong best 26-28 rather than just 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Personally, I don’t see any of those displacing Libba.

I’m also a Wallis fan but he seems out of favour with some. I’d be reluctant to shed too much midfield grunt and depth. You need a strong best 26-28 rather than just 22.
    Nothing like a bit of competition amongst the boys. Wally has been excellent this year and is going no where.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Nothing like a bit of competition amongst the boys. Wally has been excellent this year and is going no where.
    Tend to agree on the 'needing a strong 26-28' angle and that Wally should be going nowhere.
    We always have injuries, always. There is going to be opportunities, and if those in the team are good enough to keep Wally out, then its a great sign for the club.

Post Thanks / Like

It must be remembered that we have had the best run with injuries for a number of years. I'm sure it will return to half the list being unavailable at times in the coming years and that's when you need really need the depth referred to above. We are also very young and don't need to shed players of Wally and Libba's experience if we can help it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't see Wallis as a midfielder.

Smith has genuine pace and Dunkley is a beast, Wallis played the back half of 2018 well as a forward and that's where I think he needs to play. He has Gia-like traits forward of the ball - not quick, not tall, but very smart and converts better than most of his teammates.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Smith has genuine pace and Dunkley is a beast, Wallis played the back half of 2018 well as a forward and that's where I think he needs to play. He has Gia-like traits forward of the ball - not quick, not tall, but very smart and converts better than most of his teammates.
    Agreed, assuming a full, healthy complement to choose from Wally's up against it squeezing into our mid brigade, though a handy fallback should we need it.

If he could do the sort of job Clay Smith did for us up forward though, that'd be nice.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Libba is a jet and ahead of most of those listed, with the exception of Bont. Dunks having a big year, but we're much stronger with Libba in the thick of it. I love Dicko, but he's nearing the end of his career. Cavarra is a wait and see, with Wallis we know what we'd get. Lipinski had been good the last couple, but was VFL not long ago.

Both are easily best 22, and as stated, you need more than 22 to contend.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis is heart and soul, finds something when the club needs it
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Was just about to write the same thing. Be great to see Wally tried as a permanent forward - much like GWS with Toby Greene. Doesn’t have the same bag of tricks and maybe not as good overhead but very effective at bringing the ball to ground and rarely gets beaten one on one.

He’d be enough for the opposition backline to worry about.

I think Dunks is well ahead of him now as effective midfielders, and we want more time into Lipinski to see what he is capable of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Libba is a jet and ahead of most of those listed, with the exception of Bont. Dunks having a big year, but we're much stronger with Libba in the thick of it. I love Dicko, but he's nearing the end of his career. Cavarra is a wait and see, with Wallis we know what we'd get. Lipinski had been good the last couple, but was VFL not long ago.

Both are easily best 22, and as stated, you need more than 22 to contend.
    Agree with this. If Libber and Wallis are ranked in the 16 - 22 category on our list then we aren't doing to badly. As we found in 2016 we had 22 who could do a role and few super stars.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I don't even understand where this thread is coming from. IMHO we field a much better side with these two in it. Just as we did when their fathers played.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

15. Likes westbulldog, bornadog, Twodogs, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wallis wants to be part of what the Bulldogs are building

It was just one half of football but it was enough to put a smile on the face of respected Western Bulldogs midfielder Mitch Wallis post-game, as he set himself for a big month ahead striving to win a spot in round one.

The 27-year-old was forced to watch on from the sidelines since round 10 last season when bone stress in his ankle led to surgery.

In that time the Bulldogs clicked, winning eight of their last 12 home-and-away matches to reach the finals, only to be dispatched in the elimination final by a fierce and physical Giants.

Wallis enjoyed watching that evolution and he wants to be a part of the push towards the finals in 2020 having missed the 2016 flag with a broken leg.

The unlucky mop-haired father-son selection has only played one final in his 133-game career.

‘‘They played pretty good footy in the back-end of the year so I just have to find my way,’’ Wallis said.

‘‘I am determined to find my spot.’’

On Friday night that spot was inside the forward 50 where he laid four tackles, won five contested possessions and kicked a goal.

In time his position could be the midfield with an intra-club next week and then the second game of the Marsh Community Series likely to give him chances to show his wares.

The good news is that Wallis’ body feels as sound as a bell as he learns how best to prepare to be consistent over the season.

‘‘I feel like I am as strong and fit as I have ever been but my goal is to temper that excitement,’’ Wallis said.

‘‘I am a bit of an over-trainer so with a bit more of a mature head on my shoulders I now take my time with things and not go over the top. ‘‘It is about pacing things,’’ he said.

Despite some unfortunately-timed injuries he has been on the park more often than not, averaging close to 16 games a season over the past eight years.

His return would be a real asset for the Bulldogs who seem strong heading into the 2020 season, despite a few niggling injuries cropping up to key players in recent weeks such as premiership captain Easton Wood (hamstring) and high-flying forward Aaron Naughton (knee).

The progress of the team is a topic Wallis prefers as he talks about the big picture with genuine enthusiasm.

‘‘We are really maturing as a group. Obviously our leaders are playing really elite footy but then the players who are playing in the bottom half are really holding their own,’’ Wallis said.

‘‘We have a really good spine going and our high defenders are working well together and obviously our midfielders are elite and our forward line is shaping up.’’

That is a pretty picture to paint so it is no wonder Wallis is going to fight hard to be part of the line-up with Friday night a positive first step in that direction.

‘‘It’s been a long time ... so to run out in the colours and be around the boys and have a good win, in the end, it was good to be amongst it,’’ Wallis said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Thanks Torpedo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a player I've always respected. Right from day one he comes to work as hard as he can.
    He has some limitations and with an emerging list I feel he needs some luck to hold down a regular spot.
    Staying injury free is essential for him but he is a great club man and leader
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes Twodogs liked this post