Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Anyone think Naughton should be playing Fullback?

I hope he is predominantly played forward now but I think he can be swung within games in the model that Westoff has been for most of his career.

Switching him back, Trengove to ruck, and English resting forward within games should be a lever we pull within games to give us a different look (and it also gives English a rest from the ruck without having to ruck Schache).

2. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy to see him stay forward. Bring Lewis Young in and throw the cheque book at Harris Andrews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Happy to see him stay forward. Bring Lewis Young in and throw the cheque book at Harris Andrews.
    Would love Andrews at our Club but as a locally grown Lions academy player signed until the end 2021, coupled with the Lions trajectory I doubt that our TPP would even be enough.

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No. Could be a once in 25 years star-forward for us.

Post Thanks / Like

He’d potentially be a great defender. But with his kicking, he wouldn’t be the perfect defender (currently) that he’s kind of made out to be. So the comparison is really based on an assumption of what he would be in defence.

A bird in the hand and all that. I’m very happy with him up forward. Still needs to work on his kicking but he’s getting there.

Post Thanks / Like

His versatility actually works to our favour when we try (hopefully) and trade in some mature key position talent at the end of this year, in that we don't have to specifically target a tall defender.

For instance, if we think we can land a couple a game mature key forward and that means we play them alongside Schache, then we solve our key defencive issues by putting Naughton back. If we're lucky enough to land a mature key position defender then what we're left with is options to work with in Trengove, whoever comes in, and Naughton alongside Cordy and Lewis Young should he come good.

It's a great place for us to be in, and a largely unrecognised benefit of the sometimes frustrating versatility mantra that Bevo brings to the table. If we have players who can cover a couple of roles within the side, we can broaden our search for quality talent on which we will use the limited resources or levers we have to bring players in who can materially help the team.

So for now he's most likely to reap benefits as a forward, but if we land someone else who can do that but can't find a quality mature key defender then I've got no issues in him playing as a key defender in the future.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I was against playing him forward originally, he was already better than most key defenders last season and I had him as AA by 2020. Couldn't see the logic in stealing a genuine gun key defender to play as a pinch hit forward.

Could not be more firmly in the keep Naughton forward camp now.

He has everything he needs to succeed up forward. He is such a hard matchup with his athleticism, physicality and marking ability. He has shown an ability to create goals from nothing (already had two improbable soccer goals from a contest), mark and deliver at crucial moment and is able to push up the ground as a target as well as stay deep. Also just as importantly he is aggressive and confident, two crucial ingredients that basically every decent full forward there ever has been has had.

He's also shown an ability to fight back and impose himself on games after slow starts (Brisbane game), have an impact elsewhere when needed (ruck vs Port), and is yet to have a game where he is a complete non factor; he always manages to find the ball a little bit up the wings even when struggling.

If we see him as our key forward, which we should, then he stays there the rest of this season, and for the foreseeable future. If we recruit a key forward, it's to complement our setup around him, not to replace him.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need two Aaron Naughtons. He is exactly what we need up forward and down back.

Would be interesting to see where he would be today had we left him down back. He just reads the ball so well and I am sure he would be the number 1 intercept mark in the comp.

Absolute gun no matter wherever he plays.

Post Thanks / Like

I think playing in the backline is much easier than the forward line. You look at players like Darcy Moore, similar attributes to Naughton, ie very athletic, tall and mobile. He basically failed as a forward but is relishing his role at FB. On the other hand, Naughton can play both ends of the ground, however, I do prefer him forward, as this is a difficult role to play and one that we are screaming out for.

Hopefully he continues to develop and build the role to make it his own.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Would love Andrews at our Club but as a locally grown Lions academy player signed until the end 2021, coupled with the Lions trajectory I doubt that our TPP would even be enough.
    Yes, fair point but contracts these days can be and are broken. My broader point is that we need 2 KPD's, Trengove and Cordy are trying but don't cut it.

Post Thanks / Like

What an excellent career so far for Aaron. He has been excellent since arriving at the club. Was great last year in his debut season down back but just been as good up forward this year. His marking ability just excellent and Tim English is a good mark as well and he will only get better. I probably keep going with him up forward. 4 goals on Saturday ain’t bad at all.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Hamling had stayed would we have drafted Naughton?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

As a side note, is anyone concerned that he doesn't appear to be wearing a mouthguard?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As a side note, is anyone concerned that he doesn't appear to be wearing a mouthguard?
    Silly if he doesn't

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I wonder if Hamling had stayed would we have drafted Naughton?
    At the time if Hamling stayed, and with Adams already on the books, maybe we would have gone another player. But do we stick with best available, especially for a first rounder? I think we would still have gone Naughton.