Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Anyone think Naughton should be playing Fullback?

Bevo has had a lot of critics about moving Naughton to the forward line, but I think he has been proven right. Naughton has been a great addition to the forward line even though he is still learning his craft.

I happy with him at full forward and really compliments Schache. Together they are going to be a handful for teams to combat.

Anyone still think he should be moved back to Full back?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Anyone think Naughton should be playing Fullback?

In a word No. I think he has shown enough to be a very good key position forward for the remainder of his career.

Having said that we do need to find a mobile key position defender.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bevo has had a lot of critics about moving Naughton to the forward line, but I think he has been proven right. Naughton has been a great addition to the forward line even though he is still learning his craft.

I happy with him at full forward and really compliments Schache. Together they are going to be a handful for teams to combat.
    Timing is everything in the question you pose, perhaps asking the same question 2 weeks ago might produce different answers but I think you've asked a question already knowing what the answer will be.

He was moved forward in his first season as well albeit for some limited time and from memory not everyone was on board with that either.

He got moved to the back line when it was needed in the last quarter last night.
    There is no real wrong answer here, leave him forward and give him time he will become a great forward. Move him back and he will be a great tall defender.

Does the fact that he can play both ends of the ground at a high level bother anyone? I doubt it.

I know there were also some concerns that he wasn't tall enough to be a true KPP, is that still an issue?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there have been many critics since the Richmond game.
    Anyway, kind of a moot thread...who else is there to play in the forward line who can do what he does?
    Trengrove made a few bad errors but generally he was solid last night. Did some very good things.
    If he plays at his best no need for Naughton in the back line.
    Just swing him in there on any very mobile talls when needed.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I think we were are looking at either of the Young’s coming in and taking a back role more than Naughton moving back.
    Both play back in the VFL are tall and quite good with cutting off forward thrusts with high marks.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    In a word No. I think he has shown enough to be a very good key position forward for the remainder of his career.

Having said that we do need to find a mobile key position defender.
    Adam Tomlinson, come on down...….
    Footscray member since 1980.

7. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The great part about Naughton's success is that from what I understand he trained with the back line over the preseason and it wasn't until the 2nd JLT that Bevo swung him forward.

If he can improve his set shot conversion he will be an even more effective forward
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the ‘unsure’ camp. He could easily become the best key defender in the competition, whilst it’ll be tougher for him to become a really elite consistent forward IMO. But there is still a chance he does become that forward and forwards are worth more/more scarce than a defender so is it worth persisting wth? Probably.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    .who else is there to play in the forward line who can do what he does? .
    Schache could play FF, with Trengove resting forward as 2nd ruck and Naughton could play Fullback. That releases Schache from ruck duties.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very positive about this move before R1 and I'm really happy with his progress in a completely unfamiliar role.

He is a competitive beast and a jet, so I have no doubt he would make any position a success.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache could play FF, with Trengove resting forward as 2nd ruck and Naughton could play Fullback. That releases Schache from ruck duties.
    Shaq as main man in the forward line, V bottom 8 sides maybe. But only Naughton has the leading acceleration and wrestling strength V top 8 sides like the cats. Shaq may come along eventually.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I made a post about this in the Game Thread. He's got that X Factor about him and the confidence to go with being a key forward. I'm not moving him back. That being said we've robbed Peter to pay Paul and the hole we've left down back hasn't been filled. That is something we need to address desperately in the off-season.

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I made a post about this in the Game Thread. He's got that X Factor about him and the confidence to go with being a key forward. I'm not moving him back. That being said we've robbed Peter to pay Paul and the hole we've left down back hasn't been filled. That is something we need to address desperately in the off-season.
    Totally agree. Lew Young is still struggling at VFL level, but hoping he can come good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Timing is everything in the question you pose, perhaps asking the same question 2 weeks ago might produce different answers but I think you've asked a question already knowing what the answer will be.

He was moved forward in his first season as well albeit for some limited time and from memory not everyone was on board with that either.

He got moved to the back line when it was needed in the last quarter last night.
    There is no real wrong answer here, leave him forward and give him time he will become a great forward. Move him back and he will be a great tall defender.

Does the fact that he can play both ends of the ground at a high level bother anyone? I doubt it.

I know there were also some concerns that he wasn't tall enough to be a true KPP, is that still an issue?
    Never ask a question that you don't know the answer to.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

19. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Already a gun forward and they're harder to find and far more deadly. A solid defender can be traded in.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.