Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Shallow boundary throw-ins

I am over these big time. This season has seen an epidemic of them and the field umpires just look on like stunned mullets
    They can, and do result in gimmee goals.

I remember a game in 1985 against North when Capuano either reacted more quickly or had a metre start - he just waltzed in, kicked a goal and North ended up winning by 3 points. I'm still bitter.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shallow boundary throw-ins

It's probably getting to that time when the AFL has to look at Umpires as a whole going professional.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I am over these big time. This season has seen an epidemic of them and the field umpires just look on like stunned mullets
    They can, and do result in gimmee goals.

I remember a game in 1985 against North when Capuano either reacted more quickly or had a metre start - he just waltzed in, kicked a goal and North ended up winning by 3 points. I'm still bitter.
    It couldn't have been 1985. Don't think that I'm strange or anything but I remember for a fact that we beat North twice in 1985, once at VFL park by 26 points after trailing by 7 goals at quarter time. Simon Beasley (Sam Newman called him 'pink and shell like') kicked 5 and knocked Keith Greig senseless. I remember the score because I had a bet with my manager and gave him 4 goals in so I was pretty happy when Tony Buhagiar kicked a goal after the siren to cover the 4 goal spread. The other game was, oddly enough, also at VFL park (its the only instance I can find of two clubs playing both their H&A games in one season at VFL park) and we won by less than a goal.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

You sound more right than me. It was definitely at the G. A night game. I think it was in the last round and if we had won we would have ended the season on top for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

you sound more right than me. It was definitely at the g. A night game. I think it was in the last round and if we had won we would have ended the season on top for the first time.
    r22 1998.

I'd just become a dad to the 21 year old that is currently sitting on the couch snarling at the telly! I hate those North Melbourne cow *!*!*!*!ers with a passion.

Interestingly in 1998 we comfortably finished in 2nd spot with a 15/7 record and in 2016 we finished 7th with a (you guessed it) 15/7 record. Anybody who claims that 2016 was a lucky premiership is wrong.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up TD. Was it in that game that James Cook cleaned up Robert Scott and Leon Cameron hit the post deep in time on which would have seen us hit the front?
    I have a good memory for incidents but the years are just all over the place like a dog's breakfast in a tumble drier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up TD. Was it in that game that James Cook cleaned up Robert Scott and Leon Cameron hit the post deep in time on which would have seen us hit the front?
    I have a good memory for incidents but the years are just all over the place like a dog's breakfast in a tumble drier.
    Cook definitely cleaned up Robert Scott in the r22 1998 game, but to be honest I can't remember the Capuano goal. I know it was Brent Harvey that ended up kicking the winner.