Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  35
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Run Home Rounds 17-23 2019

It's the final round of the season. 1 more!

1. Brisbane 16/5

Draw: Rich (A)

Medical: Nothing

Recent form: 9 straight

Top spot on the line for the Lions this week v Richmond at the MCG. A big ask against arguably the premiership favourite. Great win over the Cats. I thought they lacked poise in the last 1/4 but they found a way. Great stuff.

2. Geelong 15/6

Draw: Carl (H)

Medical: Clark & Rohan short term

Recent form: WLWLWL

Didn't handle the heat in the last 1/4 when the game was on the line. Have a tricky assignment with the rejuvenated Blues at their home ground GVBHBOBA stadium of whatever it's called these days. Let's call it Alphabet Stadium. If they can't roll the Blues at home with a top 2 place on the line then my advice would be to follow the lead of one of their own players, Gary Rohan, and not show up in September.

3. West Coast Eagles 15/6

Draw: Hawks (H)

Medical: Natanui & Venables for the season.

Recent form: have won 6 of their last 8

Despite the narrow loss to the Tigers they would be feeling confident of their September chances. Still the team to beat in my opinon. Doubt they will drop the Hawks game especially at home with a top 2 chance still available.

4. Richmond 15/6

Draw: Lions (H)

Medical: Rance & Higgins for the season. Cotchin should be back for the finals.

Recent form: Have won their last 8.

A great win over WCE and now face top side the Lions. Guess where??? The MCG of course! A great test for both sides. Could still sneak a top 2 spot if Cats and Eagles falter. I think they would love to play the Cats in the first round of the finals at guess where? The MCG of course!

5. Collingwood 14/7

Draw: Ess (MCG)

Medical: Beams, Dunn, Langdon, Cox for the season. Aish, Stephenson, Wells, Moore, still have their concerns

Recent form: have won their last 3

Pies did the job on Adelaide as was so politely requested last week in this thread. Thank You Pies! But not sure whether their form in belting the Crows was due to their excellence or the Crows being pitiful. I hope it was the latter. Does anyone care who wins between Pies v Ess anymore?

6. GWS 12/9

Draw: Suns (A)

Medical: Ward & Coniglio for the season. Hopper & Patton doubtful.

Recent form: 2 beltings in a row.

This week's winner of the Mathias Cormann Award for having the vibble vobbles. LOL.

7. Essendon 11/10

Draw: Freo (A) Coll (MCG)

Medical: Daniher, Smith, Stewart, Guelfi are for the season, possibly Hurley & Bellchambers

Recent form: 1 win in a row. it was vs Freo (does that still count?)

Last week Worsfold said about the Bombers "that's not who we are" so by beating Freo does that mean they are now who they think they are? if they are then who were they last week? My view is they channelled the Romanian soccer team from the 1998 world cup who decided to bleach their hair blonde (much like the current Bombers line up) when they progressed from the group stage into the knock out stage. Getting a bit ahead of themselves perhaps. Romania were promptly knocked out.

8. Bulldogs 11/10

Draw: Crows (H)

Medical: Libba & English should both be back for finals

We couldn't be in better shape and Crows probably couldn't be in worse shape. We have no excuses now. GO DOGGIES.

9. Hawthorn 10/11

Draw: WCE (A)

Would probably love to play anyone but WCE away for this game.

10. Adelaide 10/11

Draw: Dogs (A)

They need to beat the Hot Dogs by a few goals. Then hope Hawks don't win & Port don't win by more than them.

11. Port 10/11

Draw: Freo (H)

Port v Freo. The battle of the 2 weirdest teams in the AFL. This could be entertaining.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

2. Thanks GVGjr, 1eyedog, Daughter of the West, josie thanked for this post
    Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Incredible last round, why the hell would Adelaide and us be played at Ballarat ever is beyond me.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Incredible last round, why the hell would Adelaide and us be played at Ballarat ever is beyond me.
    Because we play interstate teams at Ballarat
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Out: B.Zerk-Thatcher, D.Zaharakis (ankle), D.Heppell (foot), J.Stringer soreness), Z.Clarke (bone stress), O.Fantasia (hip)

These are the Essendon outs folks. I think their tanking. Stringer - soreness FFS. Did he get another tat?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

6. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When fully fit - does Libba come straight back in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Out: B.Zerk-Thatcher, D.Zaharakis (ankle), D.Heppell (foot), J.Stringer soreness), Z.Clarke (bone stress), O.Fantasia (hip)

These are the Essendon outs folks. I think their tanking. Stringer - soreness FFS. Did he get another tat?
    Absolutely they are tanking.
    Theyb have declared they don't wish to go out of Melbourne to lose a final. They prefer to do that at home where their sycophants can sympathise with them.

They also probably assess that there best chance of actually winning a final is against Collingwood after they have made Collingwood feel that they just need to turn up to win the Elimination final.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    When fully fit - does Libba come straight back in?
    Good question. Probably not at this stage. The only likely out would be Will Hayes but it is not like for like. Someone will also need to make way for Dickson (assuming we win).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Absolutely they are tanking.
    Theyb have declared they don't wish to go out of Melbourne to lose a final. They prefer to do that at home where their sycophants can sympathise with them.

They also probably assess that there best chance of actually winning a final is against Collingwood after they have made Collingwood feel that they just need to turn up to win the Elimination final.
    Essendon and winning finals is an oxymoron. Remind me how long it has been since they have won a final....I heard the other day it has been 15 years. Long may this continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Essendon and winning finals is an oxymoron. Remind me how long it has been since they have won a final....I heard the other day it has been 15 years. Long may this continue.
    Yes 15 years and counting.

It is also 51 years since their last final's win coached by anyone other than Kevin Sheedy.

I think they should re-instate Sheedy as coach. I'm sure that would work. (At least as well as anything else they have tried)
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Don't really see how this is any different to when other clubs (including us) rested players before a guaranteed finals place in previous seasons to be honest.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Don't really see how this is any different to when other clubs (including us) rested players before a guaranteed finals place in previous seasons to be honest.
    Yeah but it’s Essendon.

**** them.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes Rocket Science, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/new...ario-explained

Finals possibilities: Every scenario explained
    Aug 23, 2019 3:03PM

The situation is simple. If we win, we’re in.

But, there are a number of factors that could come into play this weekend around the Bulldogs and a potential finals berth.

Friday night

Collingwood v Essendon @ MCG
    This match carries a few possibilities.
    If the Bombers win, they will definitely finish above the Dogs – making eighth the likely spot for the Bulldogs if they can overcome Adelaide.
    A Bombers loss – and a Bulldogs win – would see the Bulldogs move to seventh, pending the result of the Giants-Suns clash.
    In terms of the Magpies, if they win, a top-four finish remains a possibility – pending the outcome of the Tigers-Lions and Eagles-Hawks match.
    A Magpies loss would see them finish fifth.

Saturday night

Gold Coast Suns v GWS Giants @ Metricon Stadium
    The Giants are strong favourites to rebound with a win against the Suns on the Gold Coast.
    A Giants win would secure them sixth spot on the ladder.
    But – if the Suns win, and by a substantial margin, the Bulldogs could leapfrog them on percentage with a big win against the Crows the following day.
    It’s an unlikely proposition, but remains mathematically possible.

West Coast Eagles v Hawthorn @ Optus Stadium
    If the Hawks win, they will leapfrog the Bulldogs on percentage and be in the top eight come Saturday night.
    That means the Bulldogs will have to win on Sunday to play finals.
    But if the Hawks lose to the Eagles, that will end their finals aspirations.
    An Eagles win would guarantee them a top-four finish – however if they lose, they could slip to fifth if the Pies beat the Bombers and the Tigers beat the Lions.

Sunday

Western Bulldogs v Adelaide @ Mars Stadium
    Win, and we’re in.
    Hypothetically heading into round 23, fifth or sixth could yet be any of West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood, GWS Giants or Essendon.
    Lose – and depending on the margin, and the Hawks-Eagles result – we may still be a chance.
    If the Bulldogs lose, and the Hawks lose to the Eagles, it will come down to percentage on Sunday.
    The Crows can leapfrog the Bulldogs on percentage, if they win by roughly four goals.
    But if that doesn’t occur, the Bulldogs will hold onto eighth spot – ahead of the Power-Freo clash, where Bulldogs fans would be hoping the Dockers can cause an upset.

Richmond v Brisbane @ MCG
    In the scheme of things, this match is only important if the Bulldogs win.
    It could impact who finishes fifth, and a potential elimination final.
    If the Tigers lose – and the Pies win on Friday night – it’s more than likely the Tigers will finish fifth pending a big Hawks win over the Eagles.

Port Adelaide v Fremantle @ Adelaide Oval
    This match only comes into the equation if the Bulldogs don’t overcome the Crows.
    If that occurs – and the Crows haven’t overtaken the Bulldogs on percentage, and the Hawks haven’t beaten the Eagles – Bulldogs fans will be eagerly watching the outcome of this game
    Port’s percentage is 103, compared to the Bulldogs’ 105.6 heading into round 23.
    It could get very, very tight if the Power-Freo clash is a close one.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bomber have come to play. Reckon we can take Collingwood.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In the first 11 rounds we kicked 888 points, but conceded 1001. Since then we have kicked 801 points (10 games), but conceded only 657 points. This is really telling on how our defense all over the ground (including tackling) has improved
    I reckon it's because we are much better at retaining the ball and kicking it to blokes wearing the same jumper. Because we can keep the ball we leak far less goals in red time (and even kick a few of our own as the opposition tire toward the end of quarters and don't want to chase us as hard) which was a huge problem earlier in the season (and last season for that matter) Guys like Duryea and Crozier and JJ being in good form and confident in their ability to hit up targets off half back have helped a lot in our turn around.

Retaining the ball helps us to control the tempo of the game when we need a breather too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    They've played five of those games at a genuine home ground and won all of them. We've played seven of the ten at a ground shared by pretty much everyone which is technically our home ground, importantly winning two of the three away games at genuine opposition home grounds.

Full credit to them, they've won on the road against St Kilda, GWS, Port, Hawthorn and Carlton which is a great effort. Plus they almost beat Fremantle in Perth.

I don't know why but they seem like they're able to be beaten, especially due to their huge reliance on Charlie Cameron.
    I thin they might run into the same problem we had in 2008-10 in that we were a fantastic home and away team that could find enough to get over the top of most teams in the H&A season but tended to fall apart in the extra pressure of finals. Brisbane have a good back six but the whole team has to defend in finals but Brisbane are a couple of years off being able to do that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite