Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW | Bulldogs sign two international rookies

AFLW | Bulldogs sign two international rookies

The Western Bulldogs have secured two international rookies for the 2020 AFLW season, signing Gaelic footballer Katy Herron and American soccer player Danielle Marshall.

Herron, 28, joins the Bulldogs after playing for Donegal in Ireland’s women’s Gaelic Football competition, while Marshall, 27, hails from Phoenix, Arizona in the United States.

Both are excited for the opportunity to call VU Whitten Oval home and pull on the red, white and blue.

“Sport is a huge part of my life and to get the opportunity to focus solely on that and play in Australia is very exciting,” Herron said.

“I am very appreciative of the support the Club has shown me so far and I can't wait to meet everyone in person.”

Marshall earned a contract after making three VFLW appearances for the Bulldogs this season, kicking five goals. Marshall anticipates that she will return to Melbourne towards the end of the VFLW season.

“The feeling is just absolutely indescribable,” Marshall said about signing with the Club.

“Being here earlier this year and at the end of the five weeks getting offered a contract, it’s amazing to know that all the hard work has paid off and I’m going to fulfil a dream.”

The Bulldogs’ AFLW List Manager, Michael Sandry, said both Herron and Marshall had attributes to be successful players for the Club at AFLW level.

“Katy’s work rate in her Gaelic football was what really stood out to us initially,” Sandry said.

“Her repeat efforts in transitional running is exceptional and something we think will be really valuable in our team. Katy has quickly adapted to the oval ball and is able to kick on both sides of her body, which we also value highly.

“Not only did Dani display an ability to convert around goals, but also she showed she can play as a key defender. Her versatility will be a key strength to her game at the highest level, and her determination and appetite for the contest will hold her in great stead.”

The Western Bulldogs will head to the 2019 AFL Women’s Draft with picks 1, 6, 8, 9, 47, 62 and 90.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, Twodogs, bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW | Bulldogs sign two international rookies

Good stuff. If like to see us do this in the men's team, despite a higher cost.

P.S. I can't wait to see them play for a 'big' club the year after.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023