Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors, Rnd 17 2019 vs Melbourne

This is the round 17, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors, Rnd 17 2019 vs Melbourne

Dunks. Imagine if he was at Port Adelaide and we had Lobbe playing at Footscray. Thank you Lobbe for not having good signal on your end of season trip. Dunks is becoming a hell of a midfielder.

Schache. Run his guts out today. Forward, defence and ruck. Career best contested possessions and clearances. Kicked a goal, brought the high ball to ground, tackled well and intercept mark to ice the game. That's a very well rounded game for a young 200cm KPP.

Roarke - He didn't have a lot of opportunities. But 2.0 from set shots is a blessing and some run down pressure in the last half isn't on a stat sheet, but it was important. All you can ask of him at this point is to take the opportunities when you have them, and he did.

4th Taylor Duryea - I thought he showed some steadying leadership. Career best disposals and one of career best marks to boot. I thought he was worth more today than the pick 60+ we've given up.

Anchor

Bontempelli. Goal kicking is going to red warning levels.

Umpiring. I'm usually not one to yell out loud about umpiring. But I did on numerous occasions, that as woeful as umpiring as I've seen.

McLean getting injured just when the coach had him wound up to impact.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes Testekill, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunks. Thank gif the swans didn’t rate him. Well you can’t have two Josh Kennedys

Duryea. I didn’t think much off the trade but with Morris going dusk it’s a real gem

English. When he builds some strength he will be a real power house

Anchors
    Bont. You are far Hester than this goal kicking

Dickson. For such a smart forward your just looking slow and out of position
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    The jumper. In the pub I was in everyone commented how good it looks.
    Dunks as everyone has said.
    Roarke Smith iced a goal when we badly needed it. Liked his composure to kick that.
    Our defensive line was excellent. Cordy and others leading the way.
    Crozier loves taking hangers. Exciting to watch.

Anchors
    Inability to ice set shots all round.
    I won't put Bont in the anchors because he got back in the game like a champ. But never again do I want to see him play on so casually and expect to get away with it.
    Confidence inside 50 is a problem. Melbourne looked the more dangerous of the two sides inside 50.
    Toby's injury. I had the feeling it was about to be a massive game up until that point.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Dunks. Imagine if he was at Port Adelaide and we had Lobbe playing at Footscray. Thank you Lobbe for not having good signal on your end of season trip. Dunks is becoming a hell of a midfielder.

My second favorite mobile phone story of all time.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Hunters clutch goal. Firstly tackles Gawn to get Out on the full, then kicks an incredible banana to seal the game.
    2. Dunks incredible effort 39 disposals, 24 contested and 15 tackles, 2 goals after some straight kicking at goal
    3. Lloyd's brilliant goal, deep in the second quarter, when he steals a goal after everyone thinks it was a point.

Anchors

1. Bont playing on in the goal square and getting pinged
    2. Hammy to Toby
    3. Rule interpretation - I give up
    Last edited by bornadog; 14-07-2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Dunks - beast mode today.
    Schache- if not for uncharacteristic poor goal kicking, he could've had an even better day. Loved his aggression
    Bailey Smith- he showed all aspects of his game today, grunt, acceleration, speed, repeat efforts, and skill.

Anchors

Goalkicking woes........I'm so sick of it
    Suckling's 1st half....
    Bont's yips.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Dunkley- what a beast, what a game.
    2. Rourke Smith - making the most of his limited opportunities. That's how you keep your spot in the team.
    3. Hunter- he's a busy busy bee. He needs to nail his shots on the run like he did that set shot. I love his work rate to always make himself an option for his team mates.

Anchors

1. Wayward kicking for goal. So many perpetrators today so I won't single anyone out Bontempelli.
    2. Toby's hammy. Disappointing
    3. Soft frees to their forwards. Holding the man you would think that you would actually have to hold the man, but what do I know.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bankers

Lloyd's brilliant goal, deep in the second quarter, when he steals a goal after eveyone thing it was a point.

Gee it was nice to get a goal after the other mob had given up on it. It seems like every other club has done it to us. One down sixteen to go!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Gee it was nice to get a goal after the other mob had given up on it. It seems like every other club has done it to us. One down sixteen to go!
    If memory serves me, Schache held his ground and kept the Dee's opponents back from Lloyd getting a clear shot.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Dunkley, right up there with the best of competition mids.
    Irene Chatfield tossing the coin, without her there would be no Club.
    Schache, becoming more confident and impacting contests.

Anchors
    Bont's attempt to play on from what 10m out ? You're an absolute champ mate but that was crazy.
    Trengove gave away some silly frees.

Post Thanks / Like

Anchors:

Toby going down with a hammy.
    Suckling's poor form.
    Richards not being able to get involved after quarter time most weeks this year.

Bankers:

Dunks, just a beast of a young man.
    Duryea - we defend better when he plays. Has a notable impact on our set up behind the ball. They're smart these Hawthorn blokes.
    Winning with 1 down, and Bont missing/hampered.
    That we have a team to barrack for, 30 years after we didn't.

17. Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs liked this post