Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The moment rnd 17 2019 vs Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    It was good, but I reckon it fired Gawn up. Big Max really imposed himself on the gme after that tackle.
    It's called ruck craft big boy is my favorite quote of the season.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes strebla, craigsahibee, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When the cowardly Bailey Fritsch played on to snap rather than take the easy set shot from 20m out straight in front. They really are afraid of success at Melbourne.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's called ruck craft big boy is my favorite quote of the season.
    Not a fan of the blatant disrespect shown to the umpire there. Maybe I’m alone as everyone else seems to think it was great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Not a fan of the blatant disrespect shown to the umpire there. Maybe I’m alone as everyone else seems to think it was great.
    It all depends on what the umpire said to Gawn in the first place. The umpires have been very chirpy recenty. I'm not a huge fan of Melbourne or Gawn but sometimes you just have to speak up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Bailey Smith with another clutch goal.

A few of the crunching tackles defensively were special. Dunkley and Bont's stood out.
    I read that before he was recruited, Bailey would do all his resistence training and only when he was stuffed would he practise his skills. Good for last quarter when it really counts.

7. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What was said?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What was said?
    What Twodogs said. “it’s called ruckcraft big boy.” It’s nothing suspension worthy or blatantly offensive but I think it was disrespectful and perhaps demeaning to talk to the umpire like he’s a child

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, really? I'm not a fan of the ham-fisted disrespect shown by the adjudicators and custodians of the game sanctioning utterly appalling decisions like the one that prompted Gawn's - let's be honest - pretty tepid, tongue in cheek retort.

I seldom go the umps, their gig's a tough and thankless one, but found the umpiring yesterday sufficiently and irritatingly intrusive that it was regular distraction from the bloody contest. The routinely baffled look on player's faces whenever the whistle's blown until it's made clear whose free it actually is, speaks volumes.

Gawn fended an opponent off with an open palm to the chest while effecting an overhead tap. If that's verboten now then Bevo truly was ahead of the curve in his efforts to expunge ruckmen from the game.

That's called terrible comedy, big boy.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Twodogs said. “it’s called ruckcraft big boy.” It’s nothing suspension worthy or blatantly offensive but I think it was disrespectful and perhaps demeaning to talk to the umpire like he’s a child
    Sorry, what was the context? I was at the game but haven’t seen the replay.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Oh dear, really? I'm not a fan of the ham-fisted disrespect shown by the adjudicators and custodians of the game sanctioning utterly appalling decisions like the one that prompted Gawn's - let's be honest - pretty tepid, tongue in cheek retort.

I seldom go the umps, their gig's a tough and thankless one, but found the umpiring yesterday sufficiently and irritatingly intrusive that it was regular distraction from the bloody contest. The routinely baffled look on player's faces whenever the whistle's blown until it's made clear whose free it actually is, speaks volumes.

Gawn fended an opponent off with an open palm to the chest while effecting an overhead tap. If that's verboten now then Bevo truly was ahead of the curve in his efforts to expunge ruckmen from the game.

That's called terrible comedy, big boy.
    It's not the umpires fault the rules are baffling. I thought his response was more disrespectful than a frank 'that's bullshit'.

Free was paid against Gawn for Dunkley's second goal. When he stuck out his arm. Like all frees in the ruck I have no idea if it was fair or not because I don't know the rules for ruckmen and they never seem consistent or logical.

14. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gawn used his hand to fend off Dunkley in the third quarter. As per usual the game came to a complete halt while the umpire sorted out who the free kick was paid to and Gawn was completely shocked that the free was paid against him and asked "why?" The umpire said "You pushed him out of the contest" and Gawn waved his hand about in the air and said "That's just ruck craft big boy" I don't see what the fuss is about personally, if you make a mistake then you need to own it and admit you were wrong. And the umpire made a mistake.

16. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Free was paid against Gawn for Dunkley's second goal. When he stuck out his arm. Like all frees in the ruck I have no idea if it was fair or not because I don't know the rules for ruckmen and they never seem consistent or logical.
    They changed the ruck rule back in the early 2000s to stop ruckmen (mainly Luke Darcy) from grabbing the ball out of a ruck contest by deeming that the ruckman had prior opportunity and could be tackled straight away. They changed the rule back to the old method over the off season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They changed the ruck rule back in the early 2000s to stop ruckmen (mainly Luke Darcy) from grabbing the ball out of a ruck contest by deeming that the ruckman had prior opportunity and could be tackled straight away. They changed the rule back to the old method over the off season.
    That’s the one aspect of the ruck contest I do understand the rules about. Everything else is a mystery to me.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s the one aspect of the ruck contest I do understand the rules about. Everything else is a mystery to me.
    Me too. How is it they can wrestle each other, and sometimes it is a free and other times play on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Me too. How is it they can wrestle each other, and sometimes it is a free and other times play on.
    I learnt something today (at least I think it's correct). If a ruckman impedes the jump of the other ruckman it is a free against. Explains a lot of freekicks that have otherwise left me baffled in the past if it is correct.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right